Can anyone tell me how to use Magnesium citrate and how long it takes. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone tell me how to use Magnesium citrate and how long it takes. Can anyone tell me how to use Magnesium citrate and how long it takes.

Unread 02-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how to use Magnesium citrate and how long it takes.

Hi My doctor told me to use Magnesium citrate before surgery, I bought what looked like a soda bottle of the stuff. It said it had a lemony flavor. It said to drink a glass of water with each dose and the dose chart was hard to decipher. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2006, 08:36 PM

Hi there, you need to drink the whole bottle. It helps to chill it first, and hold your nose while you slug it down. You can drink water while you are doing it, but don't drink tons of water, it may dilute the citrate. Its not too easy to get down but it will work wonders in about 3-4 hours. It will cleanse your colon but shouldn't be too draining on your system. My doctor gave me directions for using this, did you receive anything? You can always call the office and check too. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 02-09-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks auntdot. no my doctors nurse just said I needed to use it. My surgery is in 2 weeks. I was getting everything ready. I did put it in the refrigerator. Do you only need one bottle?
I am starting to get anxious. My pre op with the big H doctor is Tom. The doctor who told me to use the mag citrate is the Uro Gyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Celtic,

I also had to drink this stuff early morning and again after 6 hours. It was not so bad, but I did not have a bowel movement until 6.30pm in the evening! The pharmacist told me that I would have to run within 45 minutes after drinking it! I was already getting worried around mid day but at the end it was ok.
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Hi!

My best suggestion is to chill it, drink it down (it's alot like very strong lemony 7-up, like they forgot to water it down and it's a bit syrupy), drink some nice cold water after then relax, put on some sweats, light a few candles in the bathroom, get a couple of good junk magazines, turn on the tv if you bath is off the bedroom and you have a tv or use a radio.

For me it was within 30 minutes. I did start at 3pm and did liquid diet all that day. I was given permission to eat light at supper, then jello, cofee and juices the day of the cleansing.

The fear was worse than the cleaning, I do wish I started earlier in the day as i was still having some cleansing in the morning on my way to the hospital. (I had a 6:45am check-in).

Good luck! You'll do great!
Doll doc/stacy
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:56 PM

I also had to it it in two really yucky doses. I think the total dosage was 3 oz. i was told to dump it in some ginger ale and drink it in a 45 minute period. only took about one hour to work after the first dose. Me and the bathroom were stuck like glue for the rest of the night. My friends dr perscribed her the pill form because she won't drink anything she considers gross. they worked the same though. so if drinking it sounds too oohhhh. Call your dr and ask if it is possiable to get the pills instead. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:23 AM

It's a bit gross but works wonders. I use it every time I get a cold - I wait until the cold just begins to get better and it usually flushes the rest of the bug out of my system so I'm recovered faster.
Unread 02-10-2006, 11:01 AM

I had never taken anything quite like it before, and had no idea what to expect or how fast. My doctor told me to drink it the night before my surgery. He also prescribed a sleeping pill because he said they preferred me rested (easier to be woken up after surgery, according to him). Anyway...I expected it to work quickly, so I drank the stuff and waited to take the sleeping pill, but nothing happened. Finally took the pill and prayed that it wouldn't knock me out so much that I couldn't wake up if the magnesium citrate decided to work. Fortunately I woke up in time, and it was about 4 hours after I took it.
Unread 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM

I got the lime, chilled it and drank it in two large gulps. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. It started working a couple of hours later.
Unread 02-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Definitely drink it chilled. Like doll doc, I wish I had used mine a little earlier in the day. I was supposed to drink it at one, and was a little late doing so. It didn't start working til later in the evening, and I was still going when I got to the hospital. Looking back, I would have also used the enemas, like I was supposed to. My thought at the time was that the mag citrate would clean me out and there was no need for the enema. The next morning, when I was having to go to the bathroom right up til heading to pre-op, I was kicking myself for not using the enema and getting everything out of my system at once.

The drink isn't too bad. Really sweet, but if you have a cold glass of water and alternate drinks, it goes down ok.

Hang in there! You'll do great!
Jess TAH 1/25/06

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register