Vivelle Patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vivelle Patch Vivelle Patch

Unread 02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Vivelle Patch

Just curious if anyone is using the vivelle patch? Had my ovaries removed on the 10th of Jan, had uterus and cervix removed 11 years ago. Dr put me on the patch right after surgery. I had started having hot flashes and night sweats before surgery and 2 days after surgery but havent had one since. Wondering if I need the patch or not, wasnt really a choice dr just ordered the prescription while in hospital. Since its estrogen only the side effects are not as bad as other HRT drugs.
Age 42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Vivelle Patch

Hi,

I moved your post over here to the Hormone Jungle where others like yourself are on hrt or asking questions about it.

I am on vivelle dot patch and was put on it 3 years ago right after my surgery. I had hot flashes before my surgery and after, before I got on the patch.

You might give it a try for a while until your body has time to adjust from having your ovaries out. It sounds like the patch is helping you with your hot flashes.

I always get with my dr every year at my annual check up and we discuss if I am to remain on it , adjust the dose or get off. I have liked the patch and since my surgery have lowered my dose.

s
Unread 02-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Vivelle Patch

There are two Vivelle brand patches - the "regular" Vivelle patch and the smaller, thinner Vivelle dot. I use the Vivelle dot and love it - I've used it since my surgery 4 years ago.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Vivelle Patch

I'm on the vivelle dot 0.1mm it has controlled my night sweats I love it. I went on HRT about three weeks after surgery and have felt great since I started. We all are different what works for one may not work for another.
Unread 02-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Vivelle Patch

Basandps,
I too was very curious and still am about estrogen and the vivelle dot.
I had my total hysterectomy this past oct.05 and I there are two drs at gyno's office. one that started the practice by herself and remained by herself for yrs. and now just hired an associate.
the senior dr refused to participate with my <oops! no insurance company names, please> insurance there fore told me I could either pay out of my pocket to see her, or go on a different insurance, or I can start seeing her assoc. when she arrived in April of 2005. I had chronic ovarian problems so therefore knew I had no choice but to take the new dr. I waited. it was suggested for me to have a hyster by the senoir dr. and I gave it some thought for one yr before actually doing.
the new dr seemed to want to go in the direction that I could make it without HRT so never prescribed me a medication while in the hospital during recovery. I felt fine. THEN. until a few weeks later and boy did things change quickly.
I felt horrible. I didn't realize how horrible I really felt until seeing the difference while on the patch.
I had to go for a follow up and went to the office that day and when I got there, they said I got the date mixed up and that my dr wasn't there, but my former dr was. they asked me if I wanted to see her instead since I was there.
I agreed to see her. after all, she was my doctor to begin with and I loved her. I absolutely love the new dr even more and have a better repoire with her than the first one. she's more my type of personality.
anyway,
my former dr took one look at me and saw how much I'd changed for the worst. I looked horrible, felt horrible, plus I was having problems with the vaginal cuff healing. I had to go for frequent follow up visits due to it not healing and then finally getting silver nitrate put on it and it's healing now.
I went into her office after the exam when I sat down she asked me if my dr had prescribed an HRT and my reply was no.
she immediatly without even really asking me what my opinion was of taking hrt, wrote out a script for the vivelle dot. I'd never heard of it. I never even knew estrogen patches existed before this. I thought there was just pill form.
I thought my dr would get alittle upset that I'd gone behind her back and started the patch without her initially prescribing it for me. I thought there'd be animosity there for her college. I'll never know. she did ask me how I'm feeling on it and I said "fantastic" and her reply was: well, you haven't been on it that long" as if in the future I may change my mind about it.
so one dr is for hrt, and the other is not.
my dr said if I even had one negative thought when ever I put the patch on that it may cause breast cancer, to not take the estrogen. I told her the need for the estrogen far outweighted the fear in my mind about breast cancer.
my senior dr. told me the patch is the closest to our own estrogen and it's not made from animals. horses specifically.
it's made from vegetables. some type of mexican yam or something like that. don't quote me word by word. my memory is horrible. THIS is the biggest thing that bothered me before my hysterectomy, then got alot better after starting the patch, but the mind is slowely reverting back to the way it was.
my hair is thinnning out even more than before the surgery and I'm now at the point very afraid to dye my hair because each time I do dye it, I lose more and more hair. the scalp has a reddish tint to the flesh where the hair is falling out. which I'm assuming the chemical is burning my scalp because of the ammonia. I will try the newer products that don't have amonia in it.
alot of changes with surgical menopause. but without the wonderful patch, I don't think I could tolerate the sudden changes. they're way too drastic for me. I felt and looked as if I was withering away to nothing. I lost color in my face, my hair turned gray more quickly, I ached all over, I wasn't healing, my skin lost it's rosiness and I was losing alot of weight and not just fat but muscle. the wasting syndrome. I since the surgery have gave up smoking otherwise I wouldn't have been permitted to go on the patch. I had no choice. I had to see if this would make a difference otherwise something else medical was going on in the body that was just not jumping out to the doctors.
I was referred to a gastro dr, a psychiatrist evaluation, an internist, a endocronologist and still they couldn't find what was causing the unintentional weight loss and declining health.
since I've started the patch and quit smoking, I am ever so gradually putting some weight back on. we don't know if it was related to lack of hormones, or am I gaining again because I quit smoking? or was it because of the chronic ovarain cyst on my only ovary? we STILL haven't been able to find out.
I still find myself wondering what happened.
I do follow the directions on the pamphlet given and put it directly on my stomach area and not my buttocks. I tried my buttocks and found myself a raving lunatic as if my body weren't getting any estrogen at all. It stablizes my moodiness. not 100% but a good part of the time so that my co-workers can tolerate me. they've noticed a drastic improvement on my moods and tell me this alot.
so now that I"ve told everyone my whole life story about my situation, I hope I was able to help someone. I am not saying that using an HRT is for everyone. because it's not. some woman can't take it because of medical reasons. I am gratefull that I'm able to. for as long as I can.
I often wonder how long I'll have to stay on it myself because it's very expensive and they only give you 8 patches a box.
my insurance is not the best. but I have no choice.
does anyone here know the difference between pill form and patch form?
even though my dr did mention the patch is closest to what we produce I do know there are other treatments out there, something called bio identical? I can't afford that. my insurance won't cover it. I think it's an alternative holistic approach, therefore they won't cover it.
I'm glad we have this site and I thank you all for helping me in my time of need.
sincerely,
Linda S.
Unread 02-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Vivelle Patch

(((Linda S.))), Vivelle Dot is a bio-identical estrogen called estradiol. Estradiol is also in bio-identical compounded hormones, but it's combined with one other estrogen (estriol) to make bi-est or two other estrogens (estriol and estrone) to make tri-est. Many insurance companies will cover compounded hormone therapy but not all will. Some will change their ruling about not covering them if you are persistent.

(((basandps))), I use the Vivelle Dot 0.1 and have for almost a year now. I've been very pleased with it and hope you do well on it, too!

s
Unread 02-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks

Thanks fellow sisters for the responses about vivelle patch. Going on 5 weeks post surgery and so far very happy. Going back to surgeon on thursday for post op check, so will see what he has to say. Thanks again, I love this site, been very helpful

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register