Femoral Nerve Damage | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Femoral Nerve Damage Femoral Nerve Damage

Unread 02-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Femoral Nerve Damage

Hi,

A brief history..
I had a LAVH in 2002. I kept both ovaries at that time.
In 2004 I had my right ovary removed due to a complex cyst and adhesions. I still have the left ovary. In February 2005 I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a tumor -this tumor had grown into the femoral nerve. Five weeks ago I had another surgery because I was again having pelvic pain - a few adhesions were removed and some fluid buildup draind from my pelvic wall. My doctor said he has gone as deep as he can go and removed as many adhesions as possible. He does not want to cause any further damage to the nerve structure.

I went for my 4 week post-op exam this past Monday - and unfortunately I had to tell my doctor that I am still having considerable pelvic pain on the right side. The most recent surgery did not hep. My doctor said he has done as much as he can do and referred me to a neurologist

Yesterday I saw the neurologist who said my femoral nerve suffered some trauma when I had the tumor removed last February. He said that the tumor had grown into the nerve and while removing the tumor some damage was done - he said that the surgeon who did the surgery is not to blame - he said considering the location and severity of the tumor it is a miracle the entire nerve was not damaged.

The neurologist gave me a cortisione/lidocaine injection in the nerve - to hopefully settle the nerve down so it can heal. He also started me on Lyrica. I m really hurting today - either the injection did not hit the right spot or maybe it takes time to start working. I will call on Monday to see what the neurologist says.

I have an appointment next week with my chiropractor for some cold laser treatment. I am also researching acupuncture. I know that no surgery can help with this problem so I need to find any alternatives that will give me pain relief. I am open to any suggestions anyone may have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Femoral Nerve Damage

(((Lynn)))

I am so sorry that the surgery did not relieve the pain for you. I think I've mentioned to you before that I used to take Neurontin, but I'm now on the new drug, Lyricia. I too am considering acupuncture for the neuropathy symptoms.

Hopefully someone who has already been thru this can give you some hints. I'll check back on this thread, because I might be able to get some ideas. in there. It just has to get better. No place but up!

and
Unread 02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Femoral Nerve Damage

Hi Lynn Mary
I am sorry to hear you had another surgery and am still having ongoing issues. I know when we have a surgery we hope that this is the last one and all will be cured.
I had back surgery in Oct. I had severe spasms and pain post op. My Neuro surgeon put me on Neurontin (Gabapentin) for the spasms and pain caused by misfiring nerves. He said alot of times our bodies still have pain even though the problem was surgically corrected. The nerves still perceive our bodies as being damaged. The Neurontin has worked wonders as far as the spasms. It helped the pain a little I guess. It takes a few weeks usually before we see improvement. You may need to give it a little bit longer to determine if it is working. He just recently put me on Ultram in place of the percocet. It has not helped at all. I went to my GP and he was upset the NS has allowed me to keep hurting. He also said the area may be surgically corrected, but I may have chronic pain forever. He has put me on Duragesic pain patches, then I return to him in a month. It has helped a little, but I think the dose will need upped. I have been taking percocet to help with the pain as needed.
I had a cat scan a year ago Aug., which showed some free elvic fluid on the right side. My gyn thought it was from a ruptured cyst from my ovary. He did nothing further to check it out. This last Sept a uro/gyn did my tvt and cystocele repair. He saw some urine on the right side of my cul-de-sac, but thought nothing of it. He also found a small stone on the right side of the pelvic wall. I picked up a MRI report of my back last week, which was taken the end of this last Nov. It showed some unidentified free fluid on the right side down there. The report said it could be from a small lymphocele, but unlikely due to a ovary. This now has me concerned as this fluid keeps showing up. I have had pain down in my lower abdominal area (worst on the right) and nobody says what is actually causing it. The dr's keep saying the pain is probably from my terrible scar tissue around the bladder area. Am I wrong for wanting a correct diagnosis? Can infection set in and my problems become more severe?
I am also having abdominal pains and gurgling, which has been going on since my hyst of May 2004. During my 2 lapros the surgeons say I do not have adhesions holding any organs down, just bad scar tissue on the walls. They also say there is nothing they can do.
I do know that stone must have formed from urine sitting in my cul-de-sac area over a long period of time.
I read where you had fluid in that general area and hope you have some input.
I hope you get feeling better. It has been a long journey for both of us.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Femoral Nerve Damage

I hve been dealing with nerve damage for 2 years now and have learned a lot. I hope I can shed some light for you. I take Duragesic pain patch at 25 mcg., Lyrica 150 mg., Cymbalta 40 mg.(reduced the burning pain the most for me), and Clonazepam 1 mg. It is a trial- and -error process of trying meds, titrating as slowly as possible to limit side effects, and being open to procedures as well. I've had 2 lumbar symnpathetic nerve blocks that fully relieved my pain for 4 and 6 days and am considering a third. My reluctance is that in blocking the sympathetic nerves on the right side of my body, I sweated like a fountain on my face. It was really horrible and that was in Dec. when it's cold outside. When the pain returned, the sweating receded. I think I'd rather take even more pain meds than have the sweating. Anyway, I urge you to join a local pain group. Mine has been a godsend and I look forward to going twice a month. It's been a long and winding road and will continue to be I believe but there are some new meds and treatments just around the corner. In fact, FDA is considering a new pain patch that has a button to allow the patient to adjust the dosage as needed. It's been used in Europe very successfully. I could write a book, but enough for now. Take care, Shelley
Unread 02-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Femoral Nerve Damage

Hi there, when i had my vaginal hyst in 2000, I suffered femoral nerve damage, supposedly due to my legs being in stirrups too long....the part of the inside of the knee was where I felt the numbness and of course, there was some temporary paralysis of the left leg at the knee....that went away after about 2 weeks, numbness remained for about 2 to 3 years...not severe....but it was there....the one thing I did not experience with the femoral nerve damage was pain.....which I know was a lucky thing for me, however, I am now in pain due to a different issue.....

what I have learned about nerve pain is that it is extremely hard to treat, as you already know.....I am on the edge of discovering what may really be the pain problem I am experiencing, and I believe if I find the right dr and have a good lap procedure, they may see adhesions that has attached itself not only to my bowels, but perhaps my right side hip ligaments...I know sounds confusing...

my situation goes way back to 2000, what was recommended to me for nerve pain about a year ago was botox injections, that my insurance refused to cover.....the muscle in my hip is being pulled so tight, it is ready to crack I think....however, if I believed that the botox would have helped, I would have hands down had it done months ago, rather than take so many meds...meds wear you down, espeically those that treat nerve pain...but they are necessary....so it is a vicious cycle.....I just wanted to say...to hang in there, because my femoral nerve did get progressively better over a period of 4 years....I know it sounds like a long time, but apparently that nerve does heal....my nerve was impinged.....and unless it was cut, there is a great chance that things will improve with you too......take care..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register