Belly button incision question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Belly button incision question Belly button incision question

Unread 02-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Belly button incision question

Have any of you had a belly button incision? I just had laparoscopic surgery and my incision is leaking. When I got out of the shower yesterday, pinky brown blood was coming out. I called the doctor last night and my gyn was on call. He wants me to come in tomorrow and let him look at it. He said it might be a hematoma. I am not familiar with this. It has continued to ooze out. It became very hard and red around the incision before it started leaking. He said as long as it is old blood, that with a hematoma it trys to find a way out. He said the hard spot is probably a pocket of blood. I just worry that it is going to get infected and I am not going to know since he didn't seem like it was a problem. He said that is why he wants to check it tomorrow to make sure it is not infected. Do you think cleaning it with Hydrogen peroxide would be okay? My DH wanted me to put some neosporin on it but I am allergic to it. He has gone to get me some peroxide. It is not as red as it was yesterday, maybe the DR was right about it finding a way out. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2006, 11:04 AM

I did have a belly button incision for lap but didn't experience the problem you describe. I wouldn't try to clean my self but wait until your appt tomorrow. Maybe you will get it sorted before it becomes an infection? You might want to think of some questions you'd like to ask tomorrow too. Try not to worry too much- most of us on here seem to have had a little of problem here or there. At least it will be seen very soon.
Best wishes
Marion
Unread 02-14-2006, 12:07 PM

I work in general surgery and we do laparoscopic cases every day of the week.... gallbladder, appendix, etc. I agree with your doctor that as long as it is brown/straw colored and does not hurt, feel hot to touch or red around it you are probably ok. A hematoma is a collection of blood in the tissue space. Sometimes they can get infected so it is a good idea to keep a close eye on it and I see no harm in going in to your doctor if for no other reason, your peace of mind. I would NOT use hydrogen peroxide on it.... research now shows that hydrogen peroxide can actually damage tissue - soap and water - pat dry or use your hair dryer. I hope that this helps a little, good luck and feel better soon.
I had a LAVH on 2-6 and actually have a little hematoma at my left lower port site - most likely from throwing up post-op so hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM

I had a hematoma with my belly incision for my tubal ligation. I used liquid colloidal silver on it throughout the day. I always kept it cover too beings it was opened and not wanting infection to enter that sight. Mine was so bad I had a white discharge when press on, my DR. said it was inflammation coming out. It took a month to heal but mine was really red before it went to your normal bruising colors, mine was very tender but never needed any antibiotics.
Unread 02-14-2006, 12:45 PM

i have so much super glue in my belly button that it looks like i put egg yoke in it i havnt touched it so i have no clue what my cut looks like

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register