Home from surgery & no adhesions... Nerve pain - help anyone? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from surgery & no adhesions... Nerve pain - help anyone? Home from surgery & no adhesions... Nerve pain - help anyone?

Unread 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Home from surgery & no adhesions... Nerve pain - help anyone?

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear the lap didn't help. I've been to 7 Dr.s and I'm on my 2nd pain Dr. The latest diagnosis is that I have this weird lump that seems to have a nerve trapped in it and 3 other nerves in my TAH incision. I have a lot of trouble with my left leg and walking. SItting up is also a problem. I sort of sit on the couch, leg up, leaning to the right. It's not fun!

The Dr. put me on neurontin, but my insurance got cancelled in the middle of this mess. So another doctor gave me some samples of Lyrica. It really has seemed to help.

The Doctors I've been to are 2 gynos, a cancer gyno, a hernia doc, accupuncture doc, a surgeon, and 2 pain docs. The first pain doc just wanted to inject one nerve at a time and wouldn't offer any other options. The new pain doc will inject all 4 sites at once, which hopefully will cut down on the time I'm stuck in bed after. I don't do well with the nerve shots.

I hope you find some answers and soon! Keep me posted!

Kiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 12:53 PM

How long does it take for lyrica to go to work?
Unread 04-08-2006, 03:31 PM

Hello,

I noticed it after 2 days. It surprised me, I had an hour of no pain. I try to get up and move when I get some pain free time. I'm on 300 mg now, it took me 3 to 4 weeks to build up to that and I have several hours of no pain. It does NOT mean I can go and run track or resume my normal life, but I can move around some pain free. It's not much, but I'll take the small blessings.

I also wear the Lidocaine patch when I leave the house. That seems to help along with an ice pack.

How are you doing? I'm sorry if you are having the same troubles.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM

Well, I am pretty much in constant pelvic pain, since
my hyst, 5yrs ago. An enterocele was found 3 yrs later,
and repaired, but I have been left with pelvic pain,
vagina, rectum and up from there, depending on the
day and each is different. I am on Hydrocodone every
day, some days it works and others, pain relief is
illusive. I have a script of Neuronton I have had for a
while, but haven't taken it but a couple of times, I
understand that Lyrica is a step up from Neuronton.
Unread 04-08-2006, 07:21 PM

My understanding is Lyrica is a sister drug to nueronton but doesn't have as many side effect. My doc said if I took it, I'd be sleeping non stop... So, I thought it was worth a try.

I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain. You hear about so many women having great hysters and being pain free, and here we are stuck with more pain.

Hope you find an answer and that the Lyrica helps in the pain relief.
Unread 04-09-2006, 09:40 PM

I forgot to add that a TENS unit really helps with my nerve pain. The PT gave me one and adjusted the settings. Accupuncture actually worsened my pain causing a pretty bad flare-up. I stopped after the third session. We are all so different. This seems unusual to me and I haven't quite absorbed it yet, but last Wed. after my 23rd myofascial release therapy hour during which she pressed on an area near the far right side of my c-section bikini scar( I screamed it was so tender), I've experienced as of today my 4th day of pain relief. I had always hoped some scar tissue might be entrapping my post-tibial nerve and maybe she released it. Time will tell. I'm cautiously optimistic but grateful and happy for the relief, to say the least. It's been almost 2 and 1/2 years of agony, even with all the debilitating narcotics and anti-convulsants. Shelley
Unread 04-10-2006, 04:26 AM

kiki, did the Lyrica make you sleepy? I did take the
Neuronton a couple of times, and the Dr. had said that
it would cause me to be sleepy, but it didn't make me
sleepy, but I usually react the opposite to meds than
most people.
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM

Kiki, I know what you are going through. You're story sort of sounds like mine, though my pain doesn't keep me from driving or sitting like yours. I take Ultram for the pain. I use Lidocaine patches which don't seem to work well for me. I really don't feel any reduction in pain and it's only numb for a few minutes after I take the patch off. I have had 2 nerve blocks that haven't helped at all. I just got back from a very relaxing vacation. I actually had a few days with hardly any pain at all and I thought maybe I had finally turned the corner and was getting better. I went back to work today, spent the majority of the day on my feet and tried to do some cleaning when I got home, in preperation for my prolapse surgery next week. Back to square one now, I have burning pain alternating with stabbing pain again. My gyn and I have decided to hold off on any further treatment until after the surgery.
Hope you are feeling better soon. If you find something that works for you please let me know.
Michelle
Unread 04-17-2006, 10:55 PM

I have an interferential stim unit similar to a TENS unit that I got from my PT. It interferes with the pain signals the nerves are giving out. They are covered by most, but not all, insurance companies. Of course mine did not cover it but I was able to get a used rehabbed one for a greatly reduced price.
It is a portable unit with 4 sticky electrodes that attach to the abdomen. 20 minutes and I am feeling a lot better. There are no side effects although you cannot use it if you have a pacemaker. The good thing about it was that I was able to try it out before I bought it. I am pretty sure my pain is not as bad as some of yours but when we drive long distances on our vacations that really kills me more than anything else. I was smart enough (for a change) to pack it last time and I was good (relatively speaking) the next day. I am kind of surprised that I don't see more people posting about this. I thought maybe I was crazy and the victim of some crackpot scheme but when I saw Healthmaven's post I thought I would go ahead and put my 2 cents in.
Take Care, Good Luck and God Bless us Everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register