Anyone write a will? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone write a will? Anyone write a will?

Unread 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Anyone write a will?

Curious if anyone else thought about doing this before your surgery? I mean I know everything will go to my DH, but I don't know if there is anything I should put down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Anyone write a will?

I just did a living will and power of attorney. Those are the ones that say what you want done if anything goes wrong and you can;'t make medical decisions for yourself.
Unread 02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Anyone write a will?

I did it all. A will, a DPA, made arangements for my children if something happened to hubby and I, made my funeral arangements, even have my cematery plot picked out. I am very picky about this kind of stuff and wanted it all done and legal. Feel much better now. Just wish the surgery was done and over with.
~Jayden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyone write a will?

When I was in pre-op they asked if I had a medical directive. I said no and then they asked who I wanted to make my medical decisions for me and I said my husband. The surgery was cancelled but now I can have a chance to tell my husband what I would want done if I was unable to make decisions for myself. As a previous widow I can tell you that at least in CA everything went to me that belonged to my departed DH. I think making a will is probably a good idea but try not to freak out about the possibility of dying. I was freaking out and went to my doctor and told him that I read 1 in 2000 die in the surgery. He said no it was more like 1 in 10,000. On the board here someone said 2 in 10,000. But whatever it is it's pretty dang slim so I'd say your chances and mine of coming out of this alive are good. But if getting it all down in writing helps you to relax then by all means do so!
Take Care,
Betty
Unread 02-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Anyone write a will?

THANKS ladies so much!!! I appreciate all your comments and advice. I know it's silly - but someone mentioned the large number of surgeries (times I've been put to sleep) was and did it make me nervous. This one will probably be the second longest surgery I've had and I guess it just struck a cord with me. Is 14 surgeries still okay? I just know that I want my DD to get my jewelry and not my MIL or possibly a 2nd wife - the only thing that made me think about doing one in the first place! Just call me nuts today.
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Anyone write a will?

I just did this about 1 year ago. Dh and I got in the mood to get it done. We never had a will drawn up by an attorney, but we do have a typed and signed form from each of us saying that we don't want extreme measures used. Plus we said that the girls are supposed to go to colorado with the god parents and what to do with the dog of course can't forget him. It is in our home safe. I have told everyone in the family where it it at and I only told my mom the combination. It used to be her safe! I was wondering since my girls are still little if I need to make it more legal than that?
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Anyone write a will?

I have had a will for years because I have 4 children and always wanted to make sure that they would be taken care of if something happened. Even though I worry about not waking up after surgery, deep down I know I will be O.K. and so will you. Whatever the statistics are, let's think positive - we will be princesses!!! Take care....Frenchie
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Anyone write a will?

I had all of my legal work (will, durable power of attorney and health care directive) done after I bought my home. My attorney was the closing agent on my home. He advised me to have all my legal affairs put in order then. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't want my family to go through the ordeal the Schaivo family had to endure. You don't have to have an attorney draw up some of these papers. Most office supply stores carry the legal forms. A will and a health care directive need only be signed by the maker and witnessed to be legal.

Good luck to all of you!

Carol
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Anyone write a will?

Oh I know I'm gonna be fine - God don't ever let the ornery die off young - HA!!
Anyway, since I was in the mindset anyway (cause DH is on travel right now and does travel with work quite often); I decided to go ahead and at least get my thoughts down.
I did a google search for my state and free legal forms will and it popped right up. I have already downloaded it and been typing away - gotta make sure that 2nd wife or MIL gets my jewelry (my best friend owns a jewelry store so I have a few really nice pieces). And then mainly to set up guardians and executor of the estate (and alternates). The HR lady here at work is a notary; so I figure I can get her to sign it next week. Then I can go into surgery with an empty mind (or at least I hope so).
Unread 02-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Anyone write a will?

Funny, I thought to do this, picked up a "will kit" from Office Depot and then got so busy at work just prior to surgery I did not complete it. It is a very good idea and a great thing to have.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register