A return trip to the surgeon, but I want some sisterly advice! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A return trip to the surgeon, but I want some sisterly advice! A return trip to the surgeon, but I want some sisterly advice!

Unread 02-18-2006, 01:12 AM
A return trip to the surgeon, but I want some sisterly advice!

Hello dear sisters,

It has been more than three years since my hysterectomy and this site got me through all the uncertainties and questions. Bless you all for the wonderful guidance and advice...alas, I need some more of that invaluable help as I head to surgery again in 5 weeks.
I spent most of my 20's and 30's in pain...unable to have normal bowel function. Pain, cramping, nausea, gas, bloating, constipation...yadda, yadda. Did not matter my diet, water consumption, exercise...I had pain. I just came to accept it was part of my fibromyalgia and lived with it. I started to have rupturing ovarian cysts 4 years ago which led to laproscopic surgery to find I was filled with adhesions, endo., fibroids and what my DR called "cement". I had my hysterectomy three weeks following the exploritory surgery. I finally felt some relief and then my appendix ruptured a few months later and I finally felt normal. I was having regular bowel function without the gas and bloating. Well, a few months ago the gas, bloating and constipation returned. I began having sharp abdominal pain that would awaken me at night. I blow up like a balloon at any hour of the day...I have stomach cramps, lower back aches, flatulance(extremely embarrassing) and my bowel movements are no longer normal. I am having bladder issues as well. I tried to run a one mile fun run a few months ago and lost all bladder control...for an athlete like me this was devistating. I cannot run or walk on a treadmill without the fear of losing it.
I went to my gynocologist(surgeon) last week and he said I have prolapse that can be repaired with the hope of improving the bladder control. He looked at my internal pictures from his previous surgeries and said, "ugh, you were just cement!". He mentioned the adhesions and endo. still being an issue. He described the surgery as one that would be very invasive, involving a long recovery...5-8 weeks, rather than the 3 with my hysterectomy. He talked of using permanent sutures to fix my deformity in the vaginal wall and the ligaments that detached during vaginal childbirth. He does not desire the sling method because those tend to pull away and create more problems down the road. He said he would have to remove what remains of my cervix. He said he can not do this laproscopically, but must do an abdominal incision and the procedure is quite lengthy, requiring another surgeon as his assistant. I guess my questions are....Can someone tell me what this procedure is called? What might I expect during my recovery? I understand that we all react differently to each procedure, but I would just like a basic idea what I might be up against.

Thank you so much, Cowpatti1962
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2006, 08:56 AM
hi

Hi,
Although I don't have these issues, (I just have others!) I wanted to suggest that you post on the bladder board, as some other sisters have gone through prolapse and/or tightning of the bladder and maybe they can help you. Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register