Lap hyst to abdom hyst - Can you relate? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lap hyst to abdom hyst - Can you relate? Lap hyst to abdom hyst - Can you relate?

Unread 02-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Lap hyst to abdom hyst - Can you relate?

I had a laproscopic hysterectomy on Feb 8. To make a long story short, they nicked a artery and had to open me up to repair it so I ended up with both types of surgery. Lucky me! I also had to have 2 pints of blood given to me during surgery! I am very sore and ended up in the hospital for 5 days. They immediately started HRT so I haven't experienced the nights sweats or insominia. I have alot of back pain and also a very swelly belly! I would rather go through child birth then this! I thought I would feel better within a week but I am exhausted and really emotional at times! I really have no appetite but I am eating very small meals because I know I need the nurtition for recovery. Is this normal? Also I have been reading about people gaining weight after their hysterectomy. Is this the norm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2006, 03:10 PM

I can totally relate- after my tah, they had to go in again to fix a nicked artery. I actually needed 7 units of blood and was in really bad shape by the time they found it..... they told my husband I might not make it- very scary stuff.... the big difference is that at least I knew I was getting tah to begin with!

They told me that recovery would be a bit slower because of the second operation- it's pretty taxing on your body to be under anaesthetic twice, and I've had a lot of bowel issues from the extra internal trauma. I had nooooo idea how hard the recovery would be, but honestly, I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and just starting to feel like a human being again. It does take time, and it's normal to be swollen.

Your appetite will probably return soon. I haven't gained any weight yet, but I'm starting to get so bored that food seems like the only interesting thing to do lately! I was very lucky, my husband made me incredible and tempting food the first couple of weeks, so as much as I didn't eat a lot, what I ate was healthy and good. Do avoid anything (like green peppers) that might make you gassy.... trust me.

The exhaustion and emotions are really common. I think I cried every day for the first two weeks.... I'm so used to being busy all the time that being weak and tired are torture for me......

It will get better soon.... hang in there!!!!!

K

You're definitely not alone!
Unread 02-19-2006, 05:06 PM

K
Wow, you have been through the ringer several times! Are you on HRT? I am on the patch Viville. I don't have any side effects yet but am worried about weight gain and if my stomach will ever be flat again! The swelling has gone down some but it has a long ways to go. I am just not use to sitting around doing nothing! Drives me crazy! I will try and take it easy because it sounds like if you over do and pull something you will be paying for it with longer recovery and or more surgery! No Thanks! Take care and I am glad you are on your way to better days ahead!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Vaginal to abdominal and lots of other stuff

Mine started as a vaginal and ended up an abdominal (4 hours total). [font=Palatino Linotype]They ended up having great difficulty intubating me and it took 4 Drs. (my front tooth got chipped in the process) and I ended up with a swollen throat that hurt more than the incision for the first 24 hours. When they switched me over to Vicodin, I had a scary reaction -- I thought I was having a heart attack -- my heart raced for an hour. The nurses assured me my body was reacting to the drug and all the stress and trauma of the past 36 hours -- major surgery, no sleep, little food, blood loss, pain, etc. The Dr. let me go home the next morning so I could finally sleep and rest. Although I felt as if I was hit by a truck and lost a knife fight, my own bed and home made me feel so much better. They sent me home with Darvocet and Valium but I switched over to Ibuprofen because I wanted to rid my body of all the toxins. The last few days I thought I was really turning the corner and starting to feel more normal and human again. Today I feel like day #2 or #3 and have spent the better part of it in bed. I made the mistake of eating too many veggies last night -- and my intestines were screaming out to me. I'm on iron too which can slow things down in the tract but my incision/scar tissue is really getting a work out from the intestines. It is draining. I look forward to looking back at all of this one day and being glad I had the surgery. Right now I just want the old me back.
Unread 02-19-2006, 11:04 PM

I'm so sorry you have been through so much and had to go through 2 surgeries. I'm glad to hear you are home, and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that your recovery goes well.

I was supposed to have a LAVH, but after starting surgery and realizing I had too much scar tissue from my cervical cerclage and c-section, my gyn did a TAH instead. He had told me ahead of time that there was a chance that would happen, but I was still surprised when I woke up in rocovery. I had some complications after surgery, as well, and ended up having to have a blood transfusion. My gyn let me go home after 4 days, but only if I promised to go back in the following day for some scans.

Now,at almost 4 weeks post-op, I am doing ok. Like you, my appetite is gone. I am nauseous all of the time, and usually when I eat, I get sick. I've lost almost 10 pounds, have had to get IV fluids because of dehydration and am battling anemia and low bp. But, every day gets better, and for me ,all of this is worth it because I no longer have to worry about cervical cancer

Hang in there - it does get better!!! Try a heating pad for your back, and keep pushing the fluids if you don't feel up to eating.
Unread 02-20-2006, 07:48 AM

MG,
I can't believe your doctor let you go home so early! I know what you mean about just wanting to be in your own bed, however I too felt like a mack truck hit me and I didn't even get out of bed till the second day and even then I was so light headed from losing so much blood. I woke up after surgery also with a fat lip, I'm glad they didn't chip my tooth but I sure would like to see how they treat someone in the operating room! My arms also feel like they drug me across the room!! It does seem odd how one day you are feeling great and then the next it hits you like a ton of bricks!
I have been pushing the water and drink between 8-10 glasses per day. Today I am feeling great well at least this morning.
I hope tomorrow you will be feeling much better!
Unread 02-20-2006, 08:01 AM

Jessica,
It is always good to hear from someone that is further out in recovery then me and hear that they are feeling better each and every day. I guess my expectations where alot higher. I had a lapracopic surgery 13 years ago to remove fibroid cysts and scar tissue from endometrosis, and bounced right back. That is what I thought would happen this time! I guess when they remove almost everything it is going to take some time! I was looking at my incision last night and it shot liquid out like a water fountain! It drained for a few minutes and finally quit but the area sure felt better after that happen! Still sore but not near as sensitive! Everyday is something new!
Keep drinking fluids and I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Unread 02-20-2006, 08:28 AM

loving40,

I hope your Monday is off to a wonderful start and that you are feeling better. Your right, every day is something new, and I am hoping that today brings only good things your way.

I'm doing OK today. The insomnia is really my biggest complaint right now, but I'm hoping that it will just resolve itself eventually.

Take care!!!
Unread 02-20-2006, 10:57 AM

I thought I was having a tvh and woke up with a tah as well! My bladder had been nicked and needed repaired. Then, 5 days later, I needed another surgery to repair a nicked ureter that they had missed the first time. I had my catheter for nearly 3 weeks. Finally, today I am scheduled to have my stent removed from the ureter. I am very nervous about this. I am just tired of being in pain all the time! Yesterday, was a horrible day. I just couldn't get a handle on the pain and had to take Tylenol 3's again and thought about the dilaudid! This morning I am resting, showering and then my mom will take me to the hospital at 1:00 pm. I know I'll feel better after this is out but I am so scared about the whole procedure. Wish me luck ladies, I need it today.

Mar
Unread 02-20-2006, 01:00 PM

Loving40,
I'm not on hrt, because I only lost one ovary... having some hormonal stuff going on for sure, but hopefully it will resolve itself soon!

I totally know what you mean about not being able to sit still. My dh thinks I have some kind of sickness because I'm always moving- emotionally, I'm finding it really difficult to just sit back and let other people do things for me. I'm usually the one taking care of everyone else.

You probably are finding it harder because you weren't prepared for how much harder it would be having the tah instead. I've had laparoscopies in the past too, and they are no big deal, but this is major surgery. I think a lot of people figure it's just like having a c-section and are surprised with how much harder it is to recover from!

Trust me, though- it does get easier. At 3 weeks I was an emotional wreck because I thought it was never going to change, but now, at almost 4 weeks, I feel about a hundred times better. If anything, the hard part is trying not to overdo it. I"m definitely not following the rules all the time, but I have three children, youngest one being a 28 pound 1 1/2 year old, so overdoing it kind of comes with the job. But, at least I feel like things are looking up now! I know you're going to be posting and saying the same thing soon! Take care!

K

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register