cervix ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:29 PM
cervix ?

I have a question. I had my LSH done last year. The doctor decided to keep my ovaries and my cervix. My question is why don't they take the cervix? I had had pre-cancer in my cervix 13 years prior and had cyrosurgery 3 times. I also have HPV which puts me in the high risk category for cervical cancer. Can they go in and take out just the cervix if you continue to have problems? I would just rather they remove it completely than have to go in every 3 to 6 months for paps.

Thanks!

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2006, 01:42 PM
cervix ?

Did you indicate to your gyn that you wanted to keep your cervix? I'm surprised that with your cervical problems your gyn performed an LSH on you. The next time you have an appointment I would discuss this matter with him (her). If you don't feel comfortable keeping your cervix, please let your gyn know ASAP.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 02-21-2006, 01:51 PM
cervix ?

At the time I didn't even really think about it. But now I'm facing a possible cone biopsy due to pre-cancer cells. But the results from my biopsy are inconclusive. The pap showed pre-cancer cells. So, he's sending my pap to another lab for a second opinion. I just don't want to have to keep going through this every few months. My hyst was supposed to have eleminated all of the problems. I don't think I even realized that taking the cervix was an option back then. I wish I would have. But I would be more than willing to have it done now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2006, 02:02 PM
cervix ?

In my honest opinion, if I were you, I would relate to my gyn that I was uncomfortable going through the paps, cones, etc. and want to remove the cervix. I know there are some that will tell you that you need to keep the cervix for support, but my bladder fell TWICE before my hyst. And with the problems you are having with yours, I would most definitely want to have it removed. If your gyn doesn't agree with you, then ask him for a referral to another gyn.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
cervix ?

I am also surprised they left your cervix, most of us with a history of hpv, facing a hysterectomy, aren't given an option on our cerivix, just our ovaries. Because the potential for the hpv virus to continue to be a problem is high, since we carry it forever. I would suggest your talk to your doctor about removing it since the hpv virus lives in the cells of you cervix, and mostly goes "silent" after the cervix is removed, not causing any more problems for us. This depends on if it has crawled off your cervix and into the walls of your vagina, how long it has gone untreated, and your overall health and immune system. If in fact it has gotten into your walls, this is known as either negative margins or positive margins, then your risks of it returning are a little higher even after they remove your cervix, but it is rare. But I really don't think I would wait, if it is infact coming back again. For me, I almost did. Talk to your doctors, I am glad you are here, . good luck.
Unread 02-22-2006, 08:02 PM
cervix ?

This is really a tricky situation. Some doctors will not leave a cervix that has previously been treated for abnormal cells. Some will leave it if there have been several years of normal PAP's since the treatment. The reason being that if you have several years of normal PAP's you probably aren't being bothered by the virus any longer. Current research is showing that most women are able to clear their system of an HPV infection within 2 years. However, some women are not able to and the HPV recurs at some point down the road.

Yes, the cervix itself can be removed. This is called a trachelectomy. However, keep in mind that 80-90% of women are considered to be cured of dysplasia after having a cone biopsy. Recovery from a cone is just a couple of days (some women return to work the same day). Recovery from a trachelectomy can vary from 2-4 weeks or longer. It is not a minor surgery.

Please remember that even when the cervix is removed, women do end up with recurrences on their vaginal wall. It's not common, but it does happen. So it will be important for you to continue to have regular PAP's for years to come.

Please let us know how things are going for you and how your doctor decides to proceed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register