Blood Count | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Blood Count

Hi everyone, Im posting for my Mom again. Today she went for her 2nd chemo treatment and they did the routined blood work prior checking her red and white blood counts. They came back great, 12 and 18,000. I think the 12 is for the white cells and 18,000 for red cells. As the doctor stated thats a perfect level therefore she will not be needing her shot of Nulesta (immune booster) We are all so happy about that especially my Mom being even happier that she will not have to go through the terrible pains from the shot. She is going back in 2 weeks for another blood test just to see where she's at in case if the numbers drop. BUT my Q is: Yes, Im sooo very happy about this but it sort of makes me wonder if the chemo is working then, I know its probobly silly way of thinking but I just want to know if its common and if anyone else had similar situation. Overall the 2 doctors that she sees from the group are saying shes doing great and they are impressed. We're going to get her CA-125 results in 2 days. Cant wait to see those numbers drop. She was at 68 before her 1st treatment so hopefully we'll get some more good news in a few days. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Blood Count

Oh yes, the chemo is working. Sometimes it can knock blood counts all over the place and other times they can be just fine. I always had trouble with red blood counts and platelets. Let's hope that CA125 has taken a big drop!
Unread 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Blood Count

I had lots of problems with low blood counts so I think it's wonderful that your mom is doing so great. Everyone reacts differently to chemo; that certainly doesn't mean that it's not working. I hope she continues to do well and the CA125 will take a big nosedive.

Blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Blood Count

Good news about Mom's bloodwork! May that ca-125 be low low low next time!

xoxo
k9
Unread 02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Blood Count

The effects of chemo on our blood are accumulative.
It sounds as though your Mom has had one treatment.
It is perfectly normal that her lab values have rebounded in three weeks time.
That said, the further she goes into treatments, the longer her lab values may take to rebound.
I used to get labs checked weekly. My lowest values were usually in the middle week of a three week cycle.

oxoxo karenann
Unread 02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Blood Count

Glad to hear about the good blood work. Hope you get good news re your mom's CA125 test too.
s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register