Silly question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silly question... Silly question...

Unread 04-21-2001, 06:58 AM
Silly question...

OK, with all of the serious stuff we talk about here, I realize this will not top the list of what should be a priority... but I thought the answer might give some of us something to look forward to.

Since these fibroid things must have some weight to them -- in addition to the uterus itself... have punctured princesses actually lost weight after the surgery???

I don't have a clue why I thought of that this morning... but I thought, what the heck...

Hugs, Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2001, 07:22 AM
Silly question...

I lost 5 pounds after my surgery. A cyst was removed along with my right ovary that was larger than a cantaloupe. It weighed in at 3 pounds. I had several fibroids that made my uterus the size of a 20 wk pregnancy. That must have been the extra 2 pounds. I had been trying to lose that extra 5 pounds for the longest time and nothing worked. Nothing that is until surgery.
Unread 04-21-2001, 06:19 PM
Silly question...

I suppose its just wishful thinking to think my fibroids could weigh 20 pounds! Seriously though, I sure hope they weigh something, they sure feel like they do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2001, 06:26 PM
Silly question...

I lost eight pounds in one day. I thought that was pretty good! It was the weight I could never get rid of by dieting...guess fibroids don't succumb to Slimfast!

Karen
Unread 04-21-2001, 06:30 PM
Silly question...

I thought about the weight thing too and find myself joking to friends that I hope to lose that 8 lbs. I have been fighting with all winter. I figure 5 lbs. for all the female stuff (TAH/BSO) and another 3-4 lbs. for not feeling too well. Hey, that's the 8 lbs. I want gone! Then I'll be at my prime weight of 125 lbs. At least this gets my mind off of the real serious worries. Ha!
Unread 04-21-2001, 06:53 PM
Lost weight

I too lost 9 lbs overnight!

I was told that my uterous was double the normal size plus not feeling up to eating for a few days helped.

Did anyone else have trouble with things tasting like metal for a while after surgery?

Mine was so bad I gagged on water!
Which in turn kept my fever from going down and in turn kept me in the hospital an extra day!

I still am not up to eating most things that I use to love. Its really weird....I use to hate chocolate milk.....but it was the only thing that tasted right!
Unread 04-21-2001, 07:31 PM
Silly question...

Well, that's because chocolate is the perfect food.

Karen
Unread 04-21-2001, 07:34 PM
Silly question...

I haven't lost a whole lot of weight (no, my fibroid did NOT weigh the 30 lbs I hoped it did ). However, I did loose that "pregnant" look, once the swelly belly went down.

In my case, on top of the fibroid, I had a problem with water retention, which the surgery relieved.
Unread 04-22-2001, 12:17 AM
Yes but I only lost 5#

to my dismay. The weights are done in grams, not pounds , which is a much smaller unit of measure. 500 gms is about 1#.
Yes, the uterus has some weight and yes, so do the fibroids. Some are absolutely huge, others are not. It is surprising how much misery they can generate physically pre-op no matter the weight and size.
I had hoped to lose a bit more as I wasn't eating much for the last 2 wks prior to the surgery and the hospital food was so bad I took in very little during my 4 night 5 day stay while there.
SIgh!!
Unread 04-22-2001, 06:42 AM
Silly question...

Dany, I know what you mean about wishing it weighed more! (I was secretly hoping they'd find a couple lurking around behind me...might account for the butt....)

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register