Nervous Wreck!!! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous Wreck!!! Nervous Wreck!!!

Unread 02-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Nervous Wreck!!!

Bine,
Don't listen to all those horror stories. Most of the women my age I work with have had a hyster. Not one of them regrets it, all say their sex life is actually better now, and only one gained weight, but she is a person who lives on junk food and doesn't exercise. We are all different, we all perceive pain differently. Spend your last few days before surgery being good to you. We're all here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Nervous Wreck!!!

good luck tommorow llhinkle my prayers are with you and you will be fine!
Unread 02-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Nervous Wreck!!!

My gyn's nurse talked to him and she told me that if I was that stressed over having the surgery that I didn't have to do it. I am so confused. I contacted him after my family doctor had pelvic ultra sound done and told me that it was normal just had ovarian cyst. Gyn's office told me to come in and they got copy of results of ultrasound then informed me that I have endo(what stage, I don't know)and adeno. Told me they could do lap to remove endo or nothing at all if I didn't want to ....said the only way to cure the adeno was with hysto...talked to someone I know personally in that field and she thought considering everything that I had going on the hysto was best and went back to see gyn and talked with him and he said his wife had just had it done for the very same symptoms....now they are telling me I don't have to do it....He hasn't given me a physical examination since my pap last fall...makes me wonder what is going on.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Nervous Wreck!!!

Hey itsme i know your asking yourself questions and your scared. But ask yourself these questions:
Can I live with not knowing if the problem comes back or if it's worse?
will it be worse physically and emotionally in the end?
I know this sounds stupid but it's not you have to think of it in more than 1 way. The benefits before and after the surgury.
Take care!
Unread 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
self-care pre-op

Hi Bine and others,
I had an ovarian cancer scare, so was in surgery within 10 days of knowing about it. I'm sure a longer wait is terribly difficult! I was serene (grace?) for 8 1/2 days and a total wreck for 1 1/2 days. All of my courage got me through the door of the hospital and then failed me. In pre-op as soon as I took off my clothes and put the gown on and laid down, all my feelings came up. I got the shakes so bad that my teeth were chattering for half an hour. They brought my spouse in who was able to answer questions for me, since I felt so overwhelmed I could barely speak. My wife (we live in Massachusetts) is a social worker, and quickly insisted that they give me something to help me relax.

As they wheeled me into the OR, I pulled the sheet over my head and wondered if they could just consider me dead instead. That sounds really sick, I know, but I share this to say that you are not alone with pain and fear and crazy feelings! I saw the big lights and a mask went over my face and that was it until recovery. The nurses were fabulous - so loving and able to help. My surgeon was great. There was no ovarian cancer, but terrible endo and pre-cancerous uterine cells. The ovarian mass scare saved my life, I think.

It all went very well. Today is my 2 week anniversary, and I drove 10 miles into Boston, walked to a favorite restaurant with my project leader, had a lovely lunch, and took work home to alleviate my boredom. I was off narcotics within 5 days, and have only 2 obvious symptoms: I don't like coughing/sneezing, and I fall asleep about 3 p.m. every day no matter what I'm doing. I feel ready to work 2/3 time at home, with lots of rest breaks, but have the choice of doing less if I need to. I am easily doing light housework.

I think this is a happy story ;-) I have about 12 pounds to lose that I gained in the last 4 weeks, but it was a result of overeating comfort food before and after. It wasn't caused by my surgery.

I found it very helpful to talk with my minister (we are Unitarian Universalists) about fear. She had been through pre-surgical jitters with hundreds of people and reassured me that it was normal and helped me compartmentalize my feelings a little, making them more manageable. If you have a good relationship with a member of the clergy, they can be very helpful and supportive.

You are not alone, no matter how scared and anxious you are - ask for help - let go of being superwoman before the hour of surgery.

Blessed be,
Holly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register