Chemo treatment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo treatment Chemo treatment

Unread 04-21-2001, 03:16 PM
Chemo treatment

I have appreciated and enjoyed all the great support that happens on this website! I just found it last night, and this is my 4th time on it!

My concern is a chemo treatment that I'm supposed to take Mon. I've been having very painful gas problems, along with diarreah, and as a result, feel slightly nauseous and a little sore. Will this cause me to be sick (nauseated) during or after my treatment on Mon.? Should I wait and do it later? I'm sure they'll try to talk me into doing it once I show up at the office. I just have so many concerns about this. I'm not eating much because I'm afraid that anything I eat will trigger the gas again. Please advise. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2001, 04:04 PM
Chemo treatment

Hi Lannie,

I've had two rounds of chemo and the first carboplatin/taxol was much different than the second with topotecan. Chemo affects different people differently just as different types of chemo will affect the same person in a different way.

As far as the chemo goes, they gave me anti-nausea meds to help with the nausea that came along with it. One of the things with the anti-nausea meds to keep in mind though is they can sometimes cause constipation. I did keep a laxative handy for my treatment weeks but didn't need it during the "off" weeks.

One thing to remember is you need to eat! It is very important to keep up your strength while undergoing chemo and many things will not taste good to you. The things that I normally ate didn't sound appealing to me but I did crave alot of things I usually don't very often. During the first round I craved fish ALL the time! I normally don't want fish more than maybe a couple of times a year The second round my craving was spicey stuff and salt! Was strange, but whatever works I guess

The gas pain after surgery can be quite painful, I know. Can you take Gas-X? Maybe check with the Dr and see. I'll keep you in my prayers that your treatments are quick and uneventfull! Please keep us posted on how you are doing when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 04-21-2001, 04:36 PM
Vickie

Thanks for your helpful advice. I did try something like Gas X, and it helped somewhat, but didn't take it away from under my ribcage. After the constant pain for a few hours, I begin to feel nauseous. And, I still have absolutely no appetite. But I do make myself eat. I'll be doing so much better when my eating routine is back to normal. Which may not be before treatments are over!

My chemo is Taxol and Carboplatin, also. The Dr. has lessened my dosage because my white cell count went so low. Maybe this will be easier, although I never got sick from it. I took it in the hospital, and had all kinds of drugs in my system, though.

Please keep me in your prayers, as I will keep you in mine. Thanks so much for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2001, 05:03 PM
Chemo treatment

Lannie,

I'm glad you found the Hyster Sister site. I'm sure you will find it to be a great source of information and encouragement. I don't have any experience with chemo, I have just started radiation for uterine cancer but I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you.
Unread 04-21-2001, 05:37 PM
Chemo treatment

Hi Lannie

So glad you discovered Hyster Sisters...it is wonderful isn't it. Knowledge is power, and there is a ton of knowledge from everyone sharing information here.

I had terrible indigestion all through my chemo.
I was constantly burping it seemed. I mentioned it to the chemo nurses and they said that can happen with some people.

I was on Cisplatin, Etopiside and Bleomycin. I was quite sick with my chemo.

So they increased the anti-nausea drugs.....causing constipation as Vicki mentioned can happen. I don't know which of the 2 was worse.

I didn't find the the gas I was experiencing made any difference as to whether I was sick after treatment or not though. The only thing that tasted good to me was milk and ice cream during those times....and I didn't even care that I would bring them back up...they tasted so good going down. And of course...dairy products sure didn't help the constipation either.

Water is so important as well. The nurses used to get after me about that, but its so important as that carries the chemo out of your system of course.

I hope your treatments go well, and quickly for you. I had mine from Oct.10 - Dec. 22/00, and in the past couple weeks I can honestly say I have felt better than I have in probably about a year. So I think I was probably ill a few months before my tumor was discovered.
Chemo is a rough road to travel, but thank God it does work, and there are many of us here who are living proof of that.

If you find yourself getting discouraged during treatment....just keep telling yourself its not something you have to go through forever. I can now say I am so very grateful for my treatments, but there sure were days during it that I wondered if I could handle one more day of it, but I knew if I was going to get better, I had to do it.
Will keep you in my prayers !!
All the best.
M
Unread 04-21-2001, 11:40 PM
Chemo treatment

Hi Lannie, welcome to the best place to be when you have cancer. There are so many wonderful girls here who have an idea of what you are going through. I am wishing you lots of luck and sending you lots of prayers for your treatment. You will get through this ok, with the support of us here at the cancer forum .x x x
Unread 04-22-2001, 08:42 AM
Chemo treatment

I would tell the doc and nurses when you go in for your chemo treatment. (I've had six months of Taxol and carboplatin). I didn't find that the gas got worse after I had chemo. As others have said, they will probably give you some antinausea drugs and those really helped me. Also, it is really important that you drink a lot of liquids after chemo, both to flush out your system and to help with the nausea. It really does help, even though you might not feel like it. Also, be sure to eat what sounds good to you -- I liked applesauce and orange juice, for some reason. For your gas, try taking some Riopan and try Milk of Magnesia for the constipation -- those two really helped me.
The gas will go away in time, trust me!!!!

Cyndy
Unread 04-22-2001, 11:02 AM
Chemo treatment

Hi Lannie and welcome I too experienced painful gas after surgery it def goes away and gets better. Milk of magnesia big help. I can't speak of chemo, I am undergoing radiation treatment. But, I too will keep you in my prayers and take full advantage of this sight. It certainly helps keep me sane, and it is filled with a ton of useful information, and answers questions that some doctors simply can't.

Good Luck Valentina
Unread 04-22-2001, 11:57 AM
Chemo treatment

Hi Lannie,

I had completely forgotten at first but during the first round with the Carbo/Taxol treatments it did flare up my ulcer BIG TIME! The second round with the Topotecan didn't seem to have the same effect.

What the Dr had me do was take Pepcid which I only needed during the first few days after each treatment. I didn't seem to need it so much on the off weeks. I remember him saying that the Carbo/Taxol combo is very rough on your tummy. So, maybe something like this might help. Check with your Dr and see if this sounds like something that might be going on.

A couple of other things I remember, as the ladies have mentioned drinking LOTS of water will help flush things out quicker. BUT, this combo will normally make water taste like metal What helped with that is to add some lemon juice to it so it didn't taste so nasty. Milk also tasted very good during the second round, it also helped calm the tummy down.

One last thing (gee, I'm writing novels lately ) Another thing my Dr had me take during this was Vitamin B6 which helps the blood production. Sometimes during this Carbo/Taxol combo, you can experience numbness or tingling in your feet and hands which the B6 helps with tremendously. It also will help keep up the blood counts. Check this one out also with your Dr and see if you may need something like that.

I hope you'll be able to figure out what's causing the discomfort. Please let us know how things are going.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register