To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question

Unread 02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question

Ok, I'm sceduled for a Lap Total Hyst in a week and a half, and by the time I go to my pre-op on Tuesday, I have to decide if I am going to have my dr take my cervix. I have had pre-cancerous cells there before, but have been clear for years. I kind of feel like I should leave it since he is taking everything else up there, but I'm also worried about the differences for sex, etc. I mean, no ovaries, ok, you can't tell, but no cervix, I know he will feel that! I guess I just don't have enough pulling me in both directioins for me to make my decision. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Thank you for that insight! Had not had those points brought up yet. Honestly, it has been so long that I really don't remember what caused the pre-cancerous cells. The dr I had back then was a quack and didn't tell me anything, so I'll call my current dr and see if he has those records.
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:18 PM

Hello!
I just had my pre-op today and decided to let my cervix go along with the uterus. I had pre-cancerous cells back in 1988...haven't had a bad pap since but for some reason my gut told me to let it go. I understand the reasons some have for wanting to keep their cervix & I do think I'll be fine (at least until old age) without mine. My doctor assures me that I shouldn't suffer any sexual consequences and no "shortening" of the vagina should not be noticeable. They also told me there's a possibility that they won't be able to remove the cervix depending on what things look like....if there's a problem they'll leave it to avoid complicating the surgery.
Take your time and make the right decision for you....I was told today that it's never too late to change my mind....I can even change from hys to myomectomy (I won't!) and keep the same surgery date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2006, 03:22 PM

Lelebug,
Just as Torrie stated, if you are at risk for cancer have it checked first. If you are not, again Torrie is right on the money about If it ain't broke don't fix it. My options were LAVH or SAH. I chose SAH, as there was no reason for my cervix to be removed. My Dr asked me why I would choose the surgery that has a longer healing time and an abdominal incision. My response to him was, I did a lot of research and it seemed to me that the women who had their cervix removed had long healing times anyway due to vaginal cuff and internal infections from the stitches. Also because the ligaments would be removed that support the pelvic floor. And that some of them have to go back at a later date to have some of their organs " tacked up " because there was nothing there anymore to support them. And also the "sex factor." From what I've read you do get "smaller in there." Mind you, every one is different, and not all women have this problem. So I opted for the SAH. My DR told me there are pros and cons with each and if I felt comfortable with SAH, then that is what he would do. This is just my 2cents. Only my opinion. Do your research and decide what is right for you. You are the only one that can make that decision. I am almost 6 weeks postop and can say I know I made the right decision. I have not had any complications at all.
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM

ok, i feel a little behind here. I am new to the site as well as to message boards. I'm not down with the logo....what does LAVH and SAH stand for?
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:39 PM

LAVH stands for laprascopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy and SAH stands for supracervical abdominal hysterectomy.
Unread 02-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Lelebug, here's a list of the Abbreviations used on the site.
Unread 02-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Hi Lelebug,

I had a LSH and I kept my cervix. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. I am almost 2 yrs. post-op and I can notice the difference with both since I kept my cervix. I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since I had had normal pap smears for years and I had a sturdy cervix.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the ~different~ types of hysts for your research. Just scroll down.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
cervix

I was scheduled for a SAH on Feb 10th and doc knew how much I wanted to keep my cervix (mom has had two bladder resuspensions so I'm afraid it would happen to me). But after I came out of anesthetic she told me she had to take the cervix because there was active endometriosis on it and it was in bad shape. So I'm glad I'd read lots of posts on this site before I made my decision because I knew I'd be better off without more active endo and being able to take HRT (very little endo found - just on cervix; fibroids and adeno were causing all my pain). I'm well on my way to recovery and not really missing my cervix as much as I thought I would. Many women end up with slight or major changes in their surgery once it begins. Be prepared for all options before hand - it will be less stressful after! Good luck and keep reading!
Kendo
Unread 02-23-2006, 07:40 PM

lelebug-
I had to make the cervix decision as well, and based on the recommendations that I found on this website (thanks Torrie!), I got HPV tested. I am negative, so I am keeping my cervix. I have never had a bad pap. If I had had bad paps, I would certainly want that HPV test to see if that was a contributing factor before I made my decision. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck on your decision process!
Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register