To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question

Unread 02-23-2006, 09:07 PM
To Cervix or Not To Cervix, that is the question

This can be a very controversial topic, with strong opinions on both sides. And, there are many reasons why one would have their cervix removed, aside from HPV. Do research your specific situation and talk to your dr. Get at least a second medical opinion. Not all drs are able to perform cervix saving hysts and not all hospitals have the necessary equipment for those surgeries either. So, anyone who decides they wish to keep their cervix needs to make sure their dr and hospital are able to provide the type of surgery you desire.

I had the LAVH. It was the best surgery type for my situation. I am over 5 yrs post hyst. As I did have a cervix, and now I don't, I am able to positively say I have had no problems with not having a cervix, I have been on both sides of the fence.

Best wishes to you for whatever is the right decision for your circumstances. Only you and your medical professional can make this decision. We can only offer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2006, 09:55 PM

My husband tells me that sex feels the same for him, he cannot tell that I no longer have a cervix.
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:27 AM

Your are quite welcome, Callie; it is nice to know someone is reading. Hopefully someday soon it will be their doctors that inform women about the relationship between HPV and cervical cancer, and that women about to have a hysterectomy will have their HPV tests ordered routinely by their doctors instead of having to insist upon it.

-Torrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallieKitten
lelebug-
I had to make the cervix decision as well, and based on the recommendations that I found on this website (thanks Torrie!), I got HPV tested. I am negative, so I am keeping my cervix. I have never had a bad pap. If I had had bad paps, I would certainly want that HPV test to see if that was a contributing factor before I made my decision. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck on your decision process!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2006, 10:46 AM

My husband may not feel a difference, but I sure do. I dont have that 'pressure place' that was so pleasurable to me. If there is no medical reason for removing the cervix, I recommend keeping it. I was not told it was an option.
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:20 PM

I had very large fibroids and the discomfort that went along with it. I had a hysterectomy over 5 months ago. I kept both my ovaries as well as my cervix after much research. I know that my surgeon felt I should remove the cervix but I just couldn't do it. He felt that the fibroids could come back and attach to my cervix.
I really liked my surgeon but I honestly could not convince myself that that was a valid reason.
I have no regrets for keeping everthing but my uterus. I am glad for the information I received from this site and as I said, my own research.
Like the other women here said, it becomes a personal decision that only you can make and feel right about. It does become hard when everyone shares their opinion and their pros and cons.
Good luck to you and I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself. I know I did.
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:23 PM

My cervix is healthy and my paps have always been normal, so it stays. I'm very happy with this decision and hope nothing goes wrong while I'm in surgery to change things. This was a decision my doc let me make, but he encouraged me to keep it, both for support and the sexual aspects.
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:25 AM

I'm glad to read this thread. After a lot of research, I had decided to keep my cervix--it's healthy; I've been tested for HPV twice, both negative; my cervix is very sexually responsive, and I really want to keep as many ligaments intact because I want to minimize any chances of pelvic floor problems. Plus I just want to keep healthy organs. The surgical resident was fine with all this, but the head gyn surgeon was very condescending about it. I insisted on keeping my cervix (hey, it's my cervix), and he agreed to keep it, but he kept saying "it's a myth that the cervix is important in sex" and I wanted to punch him--what does he know about my cervix and my sex?
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:50 AM

Ok, I am going to sound really naive here, but if I don't ask, I won't know. How is the cervix important in sex? and how can you tell if it is important to your sex?
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:08 AM

Hey, it's not naive to ask! When my husband touches my cervix, it feels good. Simple as that.
Unread 02-25-2006, 11:12 AM

To: Sandies,

I agree with Tiva. I saw a Hyster Sister reply one time that she thought the cervix was ~like a door at the end of the hallway~. As Rhonda said , a pressure place.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register