Meds For Nausea? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Meds For Nausea? Meds For Nausea?

Unread 02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Meds For Nausea?

I finally got hit with the rads diarrhea, but not too badly yet so I have that under control. Unfortunately, I also am having to deal with nausea because of the abdominal rads and I wanted to know what meds you ladies had experience with controlling nausea - be it from rads or chemo. The doctor gave me an Rx for Zofran, but when I went to pick it up I was told that the price was over $750 for 60 measly pills, after insurance! , and I told them no thanks they could keep them. The woman then informed me that without insurance it would have cost me $3000!! I am so unbelievably angry with <oops, please do not mention company> for having the nerve to charge that much for this medication! So much so that I'm searching to see what meds I'm already taking that are manufactured by them so I can tell my doctor next month that he needs to find me alternatives because I refuse to give that company 1 more penny.

I picked up ginger snaps while shopping the other day and they did seem to help, and may be enough to completely do the trick during radiation, but I really doubt they'll be enough during chemo and want to be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Meds For Nausea?

Hi there - just a thought - do you actually need 60 pills? Maybe you could get them to split the scrip in two and just pay for half?

I agree that's highway robbery - but you don't want to feel sick all the way through your treatments either...

good luck with the rest of your treatment!
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Meds For Nausea?

Wow!!! Zofran is a very good anti nausea drug.
I have taken it and it works wonders.
However, in my case it was covered under my insurance and all I had to pay was the co-pay. In fact I was able to get a three month supply for the one $15.00 co-pay. I do not know what kind of insurance you have or how yours works but I would definately call them and find out what is going on. That price is outrageous for anyone to spend.
Also, some things are totally covered when it comes to cancer related treatments. Definately check this out.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Meds For Nausea?

A few thoughts:

you might want to call Glaxo - they have programs to assist patients with payment
instead of just ginger snaps - I use ginger root tea for my migraines. I know that this is different than what you are going through but it does seem to help with the nausea.
I hope you are feeling better soon, so sorry that you are going through this. It makes me realize that I should just quiet down about a second surgery and be thankful. My thoughts and prayers are with you....
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Meds For Nausea?

I too have Zofran and can get 24 for a $10 copay. Would you be able to qualify for free or greatly reduced price from the pharmaceutical company through a program they might have? It may be worth finding out. That is hard to pay--could the MD give you a smaller prescription? That's still $75 for six. There are other alternatives out there although the one I am thinking of, Ativan, is also an anti-anxiety and you can't drive while on that. I'd let your MD know that you cannot afford the prescription. S/he may have samples for you or could prescribe something that is less expensive. Jut some thoughts.
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Have you tried?

Hi,
Have you tried unsalted wheat or multigrain crackers? That's what worked best for me. They didn't seem to help as I ate them but within 30 minutes I usually felt better.
I noticed if I didn't munch on them the nausea returned so I ate them most of the time even when I wasn't hungry.
Something to check out with your doctor... Once when it was particularly bad, I took a Gaviscon (or Walmart equivalent) and felt better for several days. Maybe I had something else going on but my rad-onc had said I could take it and it helped. It was toward the end so I didn't take it more than once and that's why I don't know if it helped or was a coincidence.
Whew! That price is outrageous!
I also agree with Olliecat about seeing if Glaxo will help with the cost or getting a smaller supply.
Is there a generic of Zofan you can take?

Hang in there. Treatments will be done and you have the weekend.

Kat3
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Meds For Nausea?

Yep, Zofran is so expensive but it's one of the best ant-nausea drugs, especially while being treated for cancer.

This is not the only drug company I am infuriated with!
Unread 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Meds For Nausea?

Thanks everyone.

I'll definitely have to put a call in to <oops, please do not mention ins co> to find out why it's still so expensive even after their coverage - although they do pay for a ton of it. Unfortunately with DH's job, we wouldn't qualify for any type of reduced rate program. While getting a smaller Rx so it's not as painful handing over the money is a good idea, I feel GSK makes enough money that they don't need to rob people who are dealing with heavy health issues, so I won't give them my money - even though we can afford the whole Rx. I also did an online search and came up empty when I looked to see if there's a generic so I'm thinking the drug is too new for one yet.

I will definitely discuss other meds options at my doctor check-in on Wednesday if I get nowhere with Blue Cross. In the meantime, I still have 7 Zofran left from the 9 I now ended up getting free from the pharmacy since they didn't have the full Rx the other day.
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Meds For Nausea?

Dear Green Eyes,

Wow, that really is obscene. I understand -- you could afford it, but it's the principal of the matter. My personal feeling is that this is a terrible industry with almost no checks and balances. I mean, doctors and hospitals try to charge outrageously, too, but the insurance companies keep them (sort of) in check. And when a drug is in its honeymoon phase, there's not even competition to keep the prices within this stratosphere.

Now, all that said, I hope that if you need any drugs that these thieves have to offer that you will go ahead and use them. You've got a big job ahead of you and you'll need all the tools you can get your hands on.

Good luck.
Unread 02-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Meds For Nausea?

A friend suggested contacting your two US Senators and your US Representative and telling them--so they know what their constituents are up against when it comes to health care. They should be interested about what high costs are doing to people. I've seen people go out of a pharmacy without their medication, older people on fixed incomes who couldn't plunk down $140 at a time. This is a very sad situation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register