Hospital Must Haves - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Must Haves Hospital Must Haves

Unread 02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Hospital Must Haves

If you're going to have your IV and PCA for a day or so, the hospital gowns are easier to wear. I'm taking my own robe and slippers, but going to stick with the hospital gown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Hospital Must Haves

Yes, chapstick, and bellypack are good "hospital must haves". I also found a prepaid phone card handy since most of the calls I wanted to make were toll calls.

The best "must have" for me was something I didn't pack, nor anticipate that my OB/GYN surgeon would provide for pain managment following my complete hysterectomy. It was a Stryker Pain Pump, which automatically provided continous pain block to my abdomen. That, along with self-dosing of pain medication, kept me virtually pain free.

The second best "hospital must have" for me was a little blue felt heart, with a finger loop, that a friend made for me, inscribed with hand stitches spelling, "Peace." It was like a blankie or stuffed animal for me.

When I was in surgery holding before sedation began, I asked if my "Peace" heart could join me in the operating room. A very kind nurse said, "Sure" and promptly taped it to my johnny.

That little heart was strung on my finger for most of my 3 day hospital stay.
Unread 02-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Hospital Must Haves

a bra...I picked up 2 that have the convertible straps so DH or the nurse just undid the strap so I didn't have to fuss with the IV then redid it.
The jammies thing....I spent most of my stay(s) in tank tops from Old Navy and panties. My flannel pants were at the end of my bed, easy to grab if I wanted to get up. This way I didn't get all sweaty or confined in blankets (AAAAHHHH bare legs!)
Take a couple $$ in change just incase you go wandering and want to buy a paper or a pack of gum or something.
Hoping you have an uneventful surgery and recovery.

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Hospital Must Haves

I took my own drinks. I drink diet and usually the selection at the hospital isn't that great. I was glad i took them and also didn't have to buzz the nurse when I wanted one. Had I thought of it, I would of taken a mini coffee maker. I'm a coffee drinker and the one little cup in the morning wasn't enough. Kids/dh delivered on way to school/work every morning. Would of been wonderful for tea and hot chocolate not just for myself but for visitors also. Still drank PLENTY of water and my Dr ok'ed it. Check with your Dr first.

Vicky
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Hospital Must Haves

Your own pjs, chapstick, magazines or a book and a pillow(especially for the ride home). I also took candy for the nurses. They loved it.
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Hospital Must Haves

My slippers, robe and word puzzles were it for me. After a while, the TV got really boring, and I like to do word puzzles.

I am sending some 's your way.
Unread 02-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Hospital Must Haves

Hi, Tricia!

Your profile indicates you'll be having an LAVH. Just a word of advise from a fellow-LAVHer. Pack lightly. You will probably spend only one night in the hospital. You'll be glad to get discharged. The nurses were checking my vitals about every 3 hours, so I didn't get any rest in the hospital.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 02-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Hospital Must Haves

Hey there all of these are wonderful suggestions but I have one more,take your own pillow. You will rest alot better. If you take a gown or a night shirt(my suggestion)
it is not a big deal to get it on through the IV the nurses can help you, no problem there. Good luck and speedy recovery!!
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Hospital Must Haves

I agree with LAmiss... I had a LAVH and just packed scrubs (drawstring pants) to go home in as I was only there one night. I was out of it enough until late in the night that I did not care about being in the hospital gown. I took the advice of others on this site and packed a fanny pack with kleenex, chap stick, peppermint candy, saline nasal spray (the oxygen dried out my nose so much it bled). I also packed oil of olay facial wipes that are in a package that requires no water. I could just pull one out and do the face - another one and do the sponge bath thing before I left that morning.
Good luck and hurry home!!
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Hospital Must Haves

My own pillow, face wipes (I got some tea tree ones at the Body Shop), lotion, magazines - I brought books, but couldn't concentrate or stay awake long enough to read anything longer than an article.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register