Home from the Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from the Castle Home from the Castle

Unread 02-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Home from the Castle

I actually made it home late Friday night, but have been either on my couch, walking in circles in apartment or in bed since then. Surgery did not take as long as we thought it would, but I still have 6 incison marks! (has anyone out there had 6 cuts before?) Had some- ok ALOT- bladder spasms which I still have, but my Doc sent me home with the stuff they were giving me the hospital as he said they would get worse before they will get better, so why not be "proactive" and let them run their course, but me be out of it?
The recovery room was a nightmare for the nursing staff- and me I might add- there was alot of screaming and moaning from some patients which freaked me out a little bit! (I let out small whimpers and pain sobs- I won't lie) They gave me a shot of Estrogen while I was in there, [B]has anyone ever had this done[/b]?
I started on my ice chips about 2 hours after I got back into my room, and soon after I was belching like a truckdriver! Which was embarrassing, but thank goodness the Nursing staff and my sister were cheering me on like it was a new Olympic Sport- gave me alot of motivation!
I had a very bad emotional "breakdown" as it were, about 12 hours after my surgery, the whole thing, being the surgery, was so surreal that I cried for about 30 minutes. I was very lucky to have one of the sweetest Nurse's Aides comfort me and help me make it through the night. By morning, I was in fighting shape and wanting to stroll down the halls and be nosey in the refreshment closet! They took the Cath out but I still had spasms and pain but was determined to walk the gas off!
Right now, I honestly think I am up to the challenge of this new life. That Aide was, I think a crucial part of my recovery as are all of you, my "sisters" out there.
Thank you all for your support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Home from the Castle

Sabrina,

Welcome home! I go in tomorrow, and it helps to read that others have made it, even when having crying fits. I believe that i'm going to be one of those emotional wrecks. Even when the surgery is complete, it takes awhile to get back results *ya know, is it cancer or not?*. I'm glad you found the strenght to walk the halls... that is important I'm hearing. I was told I'm going to have three incisions. I don't know why you have 6. I'm just hoping they don't find anything else while they are in there, and have to do something a 'different' way. Like waking up to find that your belly has been cut more than expected.

I'll be going thru this tomorrow, and yes I'm scared and nervous, but very much ready to be pain and symptom free.

Twizz
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Home from the Castle

Welcome home Sabrina.......

Now rest and heal........

I hear ya on the belching...... So embarassing.... My DS (20) was so proud of me, cause I always give him a hard time when he does it intentionally.... DH just smiled and tried not to laugh....

The crying I believe is a normal part of the process for various reasons... Hormones being the biggie.......

Take Care of yourself........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Home from the Castle

Sabrina,
If the hospital calls you or sends you a form to fill out to evaluate your hospital experience, be sure to mention the Aide by name and let them know how much she helped you. The ones at our hospital (we call them Techs) are so good to the patients, and do a lot of work with very little recognition.

Glad you're feeling better. The crying jag was probably more therapeutic than anything. Hope your recovery is speedy!
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Home from the Castle

How wonderful for you that particular nurse's aide was there that night! Lets you know that God is looking out for you doesn't it?

Take care and hope your bladder spasms stop very soon, that doesn't sound too fun.

Blessings and Hugs!
Betts
Unread 02-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Home from the Castle

Thank you all for your thoughts. I do think that crying jag was theraputic in the sense that "Wow, this is it, I will now be able to start healing and getting on with my life" as well as saying "Goodbye" to a friend that has been with me forever!
The Aide's name is Lea Anna, she could not have been more than 22 years old and I have written her a special thank you card to be sent to the Hospital. Poor girl probably thought I was stark raving mad that night! But she made sure I had my tummy pillow and she just listened and did not try to brush off anything I had to say by saying "Well this other patient did not go through this..." etc.
She really was/ is an Angel
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Home from the Castle

wecome home!!! time to heal and pamper the princess!
Unread 02-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Home from the Castle

welcome home.... my first experience on 2-6 had some not so hot nurses but there was a health tech who was ray of sunshine. I saw him again when I went back for my cuff repair and told him that he was the best part of my surgery!! I am writing a letter... he will certainly be mentioned.
take care of yourself.. lots of water if you are having bladder spasms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register