Anyone with experience? Epidural Nerve Block | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with experience? Epidural Nerve Block Anyone with experience? Epidural Nerve Block

Unread 02-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Anyone with experience? Epidural Nerve Block

I have decided to keep my appointment for the Epidural Nerve Block for ilioinguinal nerve damage with the pain management Dr tomorrow. For the past week and a half my pain has improved but yesterday and today I have had some worsening and I thought I shouldn't take the chance by assuming the pain is resolving.
Now that I've made the decision I am a little apprehensive about the procedure. Can any hystersisters with experience talk me through the procedure, what was done, how it felt and what your results were? Thanks as always for calming and educating me.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2006, 09:40 AM

Michelle,
I'm glad you are going to give this a try - you don't want to be dealing with this pain during your recovery from your next surgery. Hugs - let us know how it goes.
Unread 02-27-2006, 02:03 PM

I just wanted to say that I have had to have at least 3 of them...I would say that it has been by far the easiest experience I have had since getting my hyst....it did help on a short term basis for my pain issue, however, my problem turned out to be something completely different from what I had the nerve blocks for.....but, it did apparently help with the inflammation that the rectocele I have was causing to my hip and tailbone area.....

A good qualified pain mgmt dr, can get you through that quite well, and mine lasted a matter of minutes...I had my injection in my S1 nerve root, and once in the SI joint.

You should do fine, it sounds much scarier than it is....they use a lidocaine injection first, which does a great job of numbing the area they are injecting....for me, I just felt pressure when the cortisone went in....

The way I perceived it, " few minutes of discomfort" for hopefully a lot of pain relief. Look at it that way and you will do great....Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM

Bowlinggrl, as always you are my rock! I'm glad I went today too. Since my pain level has improved to a "2", the pain management nurse asked me if I really wanted to do this. I told her I was there to speak to the Dr first and if he felt that it was unnecessary I would be happy to call it a day and go home. The Dr felt that it was a good idea to have the block since the goal is to become pain free. The procedure was a breeze, the most uncomfortable part was the position I had to be in. Lying on my stomach is always more painful because it seems to press right on the area that hurts. I am having a little trouble walking due to the numbness but that is expected.
Thanks for checking in, you are a love!

Betty, thanks for the insight. It was so much easier than I expected. I am pretty numb right now, from my belly button to my right big toe, but no pain! I did have a bit of low blood pressure after the procedure and I had shaking and chills just like after surgery. Did you experience that?
Michelle
Unread 02-27-2006, 06:17 PM

How long do you expect the relief to last?
Unread 02-27-2006, 06:23 PM

The Dr told me the lidocaine would make me numb for about 4-6 hours. The steroid would take effect in about 2-7 days. The last nerve block I had did not work but it can last anywhere from 1 day to 3 months. Sometimes it can calm the nerve and completely relieve you of pain forever. I'm hoping for forever.
Michelle
Unread 02-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Michelle,
Glad it went so well - hopefully it will give you some relief. The nerve block shots I had in my head worked for a while then stopped, but by the 3rd one it has been permanent (5 years so far). Hope you are out of pain forever. Hugs.
Unread 02-28-2006, 04:32 AM

wow, forever now wouldn't that be great! Thanks please keep us posted.
Unread 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM

You know Michelle, I didn't have the shaking and chills about the nerve blocks, but the last two surgeries I had..I had the most horrible chills ever...has anyone ever told you what that comes from??? they gave me valium both times to calm the chills down....that is a horrible way to wake up for sure....next time I face surgery, that will definitely be brought up, so that valium can be given right away...I was never told why that could happen.....i am glad things are going good for you...and remember...sometimes, people need more than one...so don't give up on one.....if they help you this time, they may be the answer to a lot of what is going on with you or all of it.....take care..betty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register