Princess Is Home Sweet Home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Princess Is Home Sweet Home Princess Is Home Sweet Home

Unread 04-22-2001, 12:12 PM
Princess Is Home Sweet Home

I never thought I would getto this point but I am a

I got to the hospital around 10:30 for a 12:00 surgery. I was fineup intil the time that I had to put on my gown... I cried andI cried. I even told my husband that I wanted to go home. The anethesiologist came and told me that he was going to give me something once my I.V. was started. He got the I.V. no problem....We again went over my options and I stuck with the spinal. Once they wheeled me into to ballroom they put somethng in my I.V. and off to LaLa land I went....I never felt the spinal injection, the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery( they sedated me enough to where I as sleeping lightly through the procedure). The nurses were wonderful. They had to continually assure me that surgery was over because I had no pain whatsoever. Then they wheeled me to my room and my hubby was there grinning from ear to ear with a stuff bear....At this point the spinal was beginning to wear off and I started to feel mild cramps...My pain never went over 3 on a scale from 1-10. I didn'thave a pump and they put medication in my I.V. My doc came and visited me and I was trying to get him to release me then because I really felt good. He told me that I would need to stay overnight. My only complaint that day was that I was ready to grub..but could only have ice chips and a popsicle.

Today, my doc came in..Removed the catheter(didn't hurt)..and I was able to urinate on my own within 45minutes. I was able to pass without any pain. After I had breakfast, I was walking the halls...By noon they removed my I.V. and I took a shower. That felt great. I walked the halls some more and rested until doc released me.

For the ladies in waiting..The waiting is the hardest part. Follow are of your doctors instructions and your recovery will go smoother. If you have a fear of general anethesia, talk to your doc about sedation w/spinal..That was the best choice I good have ever made. Yes, you will hear horror stories just like I did, but follow your heart and your mind. I was in a unit that had nothing but women that were having hysterectomies...Out of the nine of us, I was the only one that was up and about. I honestly felt like I did not have surgery the day before and the nurses were shocked!!!!!

I know that although I may feel good, I still need to rest..Besides mild cramping, I am okay.....

Well that all for now Warden Husband of mine has the pain meds and has ordered me back to bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2001, 03:00 PM

Glad to see you well!!!
Unread 04-22-2001, 03:08 PM
good for you chalese

So happy to hear that you sailed right through your surgery. Amazing that you were up and around before all the other women at the hospital.

You take care and be sure to get your rest.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2001, 04:05 PM

Hi, Chalese (fellow Virginia sister!)
So glad to hear your story - it was very reassuring since I'll be having the same type surgery. Not sure yet whether mine will be with spinal or epidural - will discuss with my dr at the pre-op visit.
Take care - rest, rest, rest.
Glad you're home!
Dianne
Unread 04-22-2001, 07:46 PM

Good for you getting up and getting moving!!!

Sounds like it all went really well. Now listen to your DH and rest, rest, rest. Even if you are feeling good, you still have to heal, so be a good princess and follow orders!!

So glad you are on the other side now!!!

Karen
Unread 04-22-2001, 08:07 PM

Hey Chalese,

Welcome home! Don't our new crowns look great? Boy, if I had this to do over again, I have to admit I'd look into a spinal. Coming out the anesthesia was the worst part for me--that and convincing everyone to take me off the morphine pump.

So glad you are doing well. Just don't forget that you have had major surgery and your body does need to rest and recover. Drink lots and take many naps.

Hugs,
Unread 04-22-2001, 08:13 PM

Chalese,

YIPPEEE!!!! I am so glad you had an uneventful surgery and now you are home. Congrats. I too loved having a spinal for my hyst.I am 7wks now, getting ready to go back to work. The recovery does fly, remember to take it easy and listen to your body..

Good luck on your recovery.. REST and listed to your warden...(I had one of those too)

Tina
TVH 3/5/01/-Spinal
Large fibroid and heavy bleeding
Unread 04-22-2001, 08:46 PM

Chalese - Welcome home. Glad to hear things went well. REST, REST, REST, - feet up!!!
Unread 04-23-2001, 01:39 AM

A good attitude helps in getting up and about quickly after your hyster. I know I was out of the bed long before the docs and nurses thought I would be. But I went in thinking that it wasn't going to be so bad, and it wasn't. My recovery was pretty uneventful, but long. I thought I should be back to the old me in 3 wks. but that didn't happen, lol. More like 3 months until I actually didn't need a nap.
Take it easy and rest. I know it's hard, especially when you are feeling good, but if you don't get enough rest you will backslide and give yourself more problems than what it is worth.
Welcome home!
Unread 04-23-2001, 01:18 PM

Dear Chalese, welcome home

Your experience, once again, goes to show that the waiting IS the hardest part.

Now, all you have to do is concentrate on recovering. The best way to do this is to rest, rest, rest and rest some more. Don't forget to keep on walking and to drink lots of water.

Looking forward to reading your story when you feel up to it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register