A little personal but... I need to know... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A little personal but... I need to know... A little personal but... I need to know...

Unread 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
A little personal but... I need to know...

Ok ladies,

I had my LAVH and BSO on Monday at 7:30am. It's now Wednesday at 6:40pm... I still haven't had a BM. When will I ever be able to go???? I am taking colace (stool softner) for when it does come, but I haven't even had any urges. For pain meds I'm taking Motrin 600 and Vicadin (which I hear can constipate you) My belly is making gurglin sounds after eating, but NOTHING... I feel miserable because of this. My Dr. said I probably wouldn't 'go' for a few days, but this is now becoming rediculous. things that have worked in the past aren't working... Coffee in the am, followed by something cold, walking around, VERY light massage to belly, etc. I have kept my diet a little lighter than normal, and I'm drinking TONS of water. I feel pretty darn good other than I can go...

Anyone have any advise?

Thanks in advance

Twizz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 05:45 PM

MY doc told me that it could take as much as four days to have a bm...
You may try prune juice or even an enema...But I would call your doc first and check with him/her....
Unread 03-01-2006, 05:46 PM

Twizz,

I had my TAH (everything gone) on Tuesday 2/7 and I did not have my first one till Sunday 2/12, and it was not near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did not have to strain at all. I also took stool softners, but I think the prunes that I started eating on Saturday 2/11 is what made me go.

Good Luck, hang in there, it will happen!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 05:59 PM

I used water, walking, prune juice, high fiber cereal, and a stool softener. Fortunately for me I didn't have a problem going, my problem was going frequently every morning to the point of diarhea (sp?) Hope this helps.
Unread 03-01-2006, 06:22 PM

I was 4 days post op before I had my first bm and for me it was rough. I had taken my colace or peri colace (stool softener with laxative) religiously, along with prunes, a ton of water (and I am NOT a water drinker) walking around the house, belly massaging, and I think what finally did it was the smooth move tea. By that point I was SO uncomfortable, I was going to give myself an enema, but I FINALLY went! I didn't have to strain, but it was SO difficult coming out (TMI!) that I broke out in a sweat and was crying when I came out of the bathroom...but, that was me...not everyone is like that. I do think that you should know, though, that some of us are not as fortunate as others with the ease of it : )
Unread 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM

like Penguinlady said, plus you may want to switch up juices, I had cranberry, apple and oj handy also plus a little fruit with my first meals home. Didn't use a stool softner because I was able to go 4 days after surgery, day and a half home.

Besides gurgling are you passing gas? If you're still having problems after day 4 call your doctor just to make sure you're not impacted.

good luck
Unread 03-01-2006, 06:43 PM

Dear Twizz,
It is weird how different doctors think. I was not allowed to leave the castle until I went #2. I was planning on leaving the day after but had to stay one extra day as a result of no #2. Just f.y.i.: it was uneventful and I did not understand what all the fuss was about! Good luck. Tami S. in Florida
Unread 03-01-2006, 07:16 PM

I had my procedure on a Monday and didn't have a BM until Sunday. Keep w/ the water, stool softener, and try a glass of prune juice. It will happen!
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:04 PM

Okay are you ready for this.....I have surgical gloves and I could feel the road was blocked and it hurt so bad after three days and nothing else was working, even had an enema. I remembered what I did to help my children when they were stopped up and had to go so I put on those surgical gloves and helped to open the passage way, it was gross but I have been fine ever since!
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Hi Twizz...you are not alone. I had surgery on a Monday morning and didn't have a bm until Sunday. Just keep doing what you are doing and nature will take its course. Remember not to force, push or strain. As long as there are gurgling sounds your bowels are working. Hope I helped.

Traci (TAH kept ovaries)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register