PLEASE HELP-so many people telling me different things | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PLEASE HELP-so many people telling me different things PLEASE HELP-so many people telling me different things

Unread 03-02-2006, 03:13 AM
PLEASE HELP-so many people telling me different things

Hello ladies,
Hi, my surgery is Friday the 10th-I have talked to many people about recovery-mosr of them that had hystrectomys and one in particular said i be would up and going in 3 weeks-she said when i had mine- 3 weeks later i drove to Fl.- we live in NC. She said by the second week i would be fine-Well i do not deal so good with pain and I'm just wondering how long does it really take to get back to normal or halfway normal-she said I could cook and clean by 3rd week also --Is she wonderwoman or is it really that soon. I have others tell me 6 weeks? please help I dont want to do something to soon but I dont want to be considered a wimp because I'm not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2006, 05:10 AM

There's really no way to know how quickly you're going to recover from your surgery. Everyone heals diffently and it has a lot to do with the type of surgery you have. Let your body and your doctor tell you when you can resume normal activities. Relax!! You'll be fine!

Cath
Unread 03-02-2006, 05:21 AM

I agree. Do what your doctor will tell you is right for you. I asked my doctor when I could drive he told me two weeks because of all I've been through. But, he did say not to drive far.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2006, 05:27 AM

Sunnie,

It depends on what type of surgery you have and how invasive it is. I just had a LAVH and a BSO, and the most painful experience with this surgery is the gas that is lingering around in my body from the anethesia. My abs do not hurt, my back muscles are a little sore from walking all hunched over... but my tubal and my lap for endo hurt more than this surgery did. I am 3 days post op, and I feel fine. I still get VERY tired easily, and I'm still resting. I take little baby naps, and I'm continually taking my motrin. I've stopped taking the Vicodin because I really don't need it, and I'm only at day three. You will be suprised on how fast your body heals... everyone is different though, so listen to your body, and only do what you feel you can do.

No matter what anyone says to you 'wimp or no wimp'... this is major surgery. Tell em' to shut up and get you the remote *ha ha*

My prayers are with you
Good Luck

~Twizz

P.S. My Dr. wrote me off for 4 weeks. I have a desk job. I do walk a lot in my job (from office to office) but for the most part I have a sit down job, and I'm off for 4 weeks. And when those 4 weeks come up, and if I am having complications or if I'm tired after 4 hrs. I will tell my Dr. and maybe I'll just work part time for 4 weeks. I don't look like I just had surgery on the outside... all the healing is taking place on the inside... as i only have 3 tiny incisions on my belly.
Unread 03-02-2006, 06:21 AM

As the others have said, everyone heals differently and the procedure does make a difference. I am 4 weeks post op, had a TVH no complications or repairs. I came back to my desk job on Tuesday for 1/2 days to work my stamina back up. The longest car ride I can stand at the moment is about 30 mins, fortunately that gets me to work! I still get tired, and go home for a nap each afternoon. Listen to your doctor and your body, and don't over do it, you only get one chance to heal properly. Best of Luck - see you on the other side.
Unread 03-02-2006, 06:41 AM

HI Sunnie,

I see on your profile that you are scheduled for an abdominal surgery. On the top of the page are some tabs. The fourth from the left is "Checkpoints". On the right side of the checkpoints page is a list of different time periods from Pre-op to Weeks 5-6 Post Op. I found these to be invaluable when planning my recovery, they were very accurate and my Dr thought they were wonderful too.

I would never have been able to drive comfortably anywhere at 3 weeks. I had trouble sitting up straight for one hour at 4 weeks to go to church. Please remember that this is not a contest to see who can do what the soonest. You only have one chance to heal correctly and if you overdo it, you will have more pain and it could increase your healing time or even cause injury.

S,
Kay
Unread 03-02-2006, 06:48 AM

I loved the advice and echo it "No matter what anyone says to you 'wimp or no wimp'... this is major surgery. Tell em' to shut up and get you the remote *ha ha*" <LOL>

Seriously, much does depend on your previous state of health, the surgery itself, your own pain threshold, etc. In my case it was a TAH (everything from the cervix up) and my doctor told me "Not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for 6 weeks." ... and that was despite the fact that he was amazed at how "quickly" I was recovering from the surgery itself (I should note that I was at death's door when I signed the papers and [had to] waive my legal right for a 3-day period to reconsider).

So, ask you doctor what to expect, add to that what you know of yourself and then apply all that. If it takes you 3 weeks to say "Hey, I'm great!" that's fine...if it's more like 8 weeks that's ok too! There's no way to speed up the healing process so embrace and work with yours; you'll know how you're doing and comparing that to another's experience is just a waste of valuable energy! <smile>

Take care.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie27542
Hello ladies,
Hi, my surgery is Friday the 10th-I have talked to many people about recovery-mosr of them that had hystrectomys and one in particular said i be would up and going in 3 weeks-she said when i had mine- 3 weeks later i drove to Fl.- we live in NC. She said by the second week i would be fine-Well i do not deal so good with pain and I'm just wondering how long does it really take to get back to normal or halfway normal-she said I could cook and clean by 3rd week also --Is she wonderwoman or is it really that soon. I have others tell me 6 weeks? please help I dont want to do something to soon but I dont want to be considered a wimp because I'm not.
Unread 03-02-2006, 08:59 AM

I love reading the postings on the Hyster Sisters website. It's like being in a "mom's group" after having a baby. I get to read about other people's experiences, problems, and dialogs on how to solve problems. It validates that hysterectomy has all sorts of outcomes and that each of us is on our own journey, not to be measured by anyone else's experience. Try not to hold onto anyone else's expectations, and heal from your surgery by listening to your body and following your instincts. Take care. I wish you well.
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:07 AM

I was able to fly from orlando to chicago a month after surgery and i felt pretty good.I was going stir crazy by that point! The really awesome part is I do not have to plan a trip around Aunt Flo...
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:42 AM

My doctor told me 6 weeks and to rest for the whole 6 weeks. From prior surgeries I have learned that sometimes you think you are feeling better, you over do it and then end up doing damages to the healing process. Like so many have said on this site: you only have one chance to heal properly. Take it. I have already informed DH and kids that I am not even cooking for my 6 weeks. I am taking care of myself and healing properly. I don't care what others say either. I am usually a person full of energy so I don't know if I can do nothing for that long but I will try! (got tons of good books I am dying to read and lots of DVDs to watch). Good luck.....Frenchie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register