Any Nurses or Dr.s out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Nurses or Dr.s out there? Any Nurses or Dr.s out there?

Unread 04-22-2001, 05:38 PM
Any Nurses or Dr.s out there?

Hi there,

Got a question. Has anyone heard of Low Protein S?

My 32 year old sister has had a problem with clotting but only when she gets pregnant. She has two kids and is pregnant with number three. She threw a blood clot yesterday and had a heart attack!! She will be ok, but has to terminate the pregnancy, and will be on blood thinners forever. Turns out she has this Low Protein S thing and it is hereditary!

I had eclampsia with one of my three pregnancies and dont' know if that is related. Anyway, I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on May 7th and I guess need to know if I have this before I go in so they don't have to worry about a clot.

Does anyone have any info on that? Or have you experienced that? I am getting nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2001, 06:05 PM

OMG Deb! So sorry to hear about your sister!

I'm sorry, I don't have any info regarding the low protein, so I'd have to suggest you ask your doc.

Good Luck!
Unread 04-22-2001, 06:11 PM

Thanks!

I am going to call the Dr. in the morning. I think she is out of town but I am guessing someone should be able to tell me something about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2001, 07:57 PM

Deb,

So sorry to hear about your sister. I wish her well.

I'm neither a doctor nor a nurse, but years ago I was a medical technologist. I'm sure your doctor will be able to fill you in much better, but you expressed concern about wanting to know right away, so I'm sharing what I know about this condition. Protein S works to prevent blood from clotting when it's not supposed to. (The complex system called hemostasis is the balance between keeping blood from clotting when there is no need to and getting it to clot to prevent hemorrhaging.) Protein S deficiency can be hereditary or acquired. Two things that can cause the acquired variety to occur in susceptible individuals are pregnancy and estrogen. Without a familial study, it is impossible to say which variety your sister has. The good news is that this happened before your surgery so now you can be tested for the disorder. (From your end of things it's a simple blood test).

Good luck to you. I will hold you and my sister in my healing thoughts.
Unread 04-22-2001, 08:07 PM

This is why I love this place! Ask and you shall receive!! Thanks for support and info! For anyone who has not heard of Low Protein S, she has what is called antiphospholipid syndrome.

One of the symptoms ( i looked it up online) is pre-eclampsia. I went all the way to eclampsia with my second child and they never figured out why. HMMM.

Anyone else have that?

Deb
Unread 04-23-2001, 12:04 PM

If you go to www.aj.com (Ask Jeeves) and type in the question box something like, "What is Protein S" or "What is antiphospholipid syndrome?" then click on the "Ask" button, I'm sure you will get a bunch of resources to read.

I'm so sorry about your sister but the best news is that she is going to be okay! I'm sure your emotional support will help her too.
Hugs,
Miranda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register