Fibroid Confusion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid Confusion Fibroid Confusion

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Fibroid Confusion

Hi everybody, I have a question about fibroids.. My doctor has advised me that I have two options. 1)hysterectomy 2)Do Nothing. Well, that was three (or is it four) years ago and option 2 look less and less appealing. I am wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms from their fibroids - lower back pain, pressure, feeling that it's all going to fall out, of course the lovely clots and two week-or longer- periods, etc. My main question is the newest thing my fibroids are throwing at me. A long clotty period followed by (so far and counting) two weeks of sometimes brown (old blood colored) sometimes red (but lighter than period)
"trickle". Sorry, don't want to gross anyone out but this is really making me crazy. Thanks for reading! Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Fibroid Confusion

Hi Emily yes, I had many of the same symptoms you mention..........pelvic pain and pressure ,lower back pain and heavy ,clotty periods ......I had some problems towards the end with breakthrough bleeding like u describe........turns out I also was dealing with adenomyosis which I didn`t know till I had my hyst and got the path report ......the Dr. thinks that was a big part of the puzzle......I hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!!!!!! `S..........
Unread 03-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Fibroid Confusion

Thanks Ms. Kitty for your kind words..I forgot to mention that my uterus is (well, was at last years check up, could be bigger now) six month size, and full of fibroids. But strangely, only in the last two years have the symptoms really bothered me, more so in the last six months than ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Fibroid Confusion

Maybe you could ask your doc about a myomectomy. I had one of those on 1/26/06. They can take all of your fibroids out. Unfortunately for me and don't mean to scare you but, now I have clots and heavy bleeding and I'm having a hysterectomy next week!! But it may not be the case with you--so check out that procedure!
Unread 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Fibroid Confusion

ebdf,

I had the same situation! I was fine with no symptoms for 3 or 4 years, then wham -- clotty bleeding (freaked me out) which caused low blood count and anemia, severe pain, and a two-week long period of bleeding after my January cycle. That was the first and only time I had any issues from my fibroids and oversized uterus (like you, my uterus was the size of a six month pregnancy). But that was scary enough for me though - I had my hysterectomy two weeks after that and feel so much better!

My prayers are with you for peace in whatever you decide.
Unread 03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Fibroid Confusion

Emily: I don't know if Lilbit is talking about the same thing, but there are other options for fibroids that in some cases (I had a large 14 cm one just removed w/my hyster this week) can be shrunk to almost nothing. One of these procedures includes radiation and then laproscopy, one treatment thru a leg's vein. I didn't have the patience anymore (I've been waiting years to just get RID of mine) so I didn't explore them. But there are many options out there and you should make sure to go for as many opinions as possible. It will not only ease your mind, but it will clarify for you the number of alternatives that are out there. It's a small price in time and money to pay for what is a very important procedure for you, as it was for me. Check out the "alternatives" message board here, too. - connie
Unread 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Fibroid Confusion

I have had the same symtoms too. Just recently started my period Jan 2 and it's still lingering. The pain about 4 weeks ago was awful. I had to leave work and couldn't get out of bed for two more days. Best wishes on what ever you decide.
Unread 03-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Fibroid Confusion

Hi Ebdf,

I was 46 when I had my LSH. I also had fibroids and they are not fun!! Like aliens growing inside of us. With fibroids, it can come down to ~quality of life~. I know for me my life was being run by pelvic pressure 24/7 from the fibroids, bladder incontinence and periods that were starting to get very ~scary~!!!!

A hyst is generally elective surgery and that can be the hardest part. Why have surgery? In my case, it has given me my health back. I do not have pelvic pressure anymore, no more periods, no more b.c. And my energy level is high again. In pre-op, I felt like I was 85!! I was always tired and I was borderline anemic.

Best wishes. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Fibroid Confusion

I had the same brownish discharge. Would have maybe 16 to 20 days a month of heavy bleeding with huge clots and then the brown sludge for another week. Then maybe 3 or 4 clear days until the whole routine started up again. This has been going on the past 18 months and I can't wait for March 13!!!!
Unread 03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Fibroid Confusion

Hi ebdf:

Had fibroids for years and then they became symptomatic when I turned 38. Clots, Cramps, back pain, loooooong periods and eventually anemia which was very scary since I nearly passed out at work twice.

Some of the options mentioned are
Ablation: Esentially the fibroid are seared out of the uterus
Uterine Artery Embolization: Particles are inserted into the artery through your leg to block the blood flow to the fibroids so they shrink.
Myoectomy: Fibroids are excised from the uterus. Typically the route if you want to try to preserve fertility Note*if the fibroids are extensive this procedure can tun into a hysterectomy.

Find out what is available to you and even get a second opinion. Some doctors are only comfotable with some procedures and don't mention what other options are available. Mine told me of eight total, though through tests we narrowed it down to one option so by the time we got there I was ready and had explored all of my options.

good luck on your decision

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register