New here, afraid of general anesthesia! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, afraid of general anesthesia! New here, afraid of general anesthesia!

Unread 03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
general anesthesia

Hello I am new here and it is helping so much. I am afraid of the general anesthesia (especially since I think they put tubes down your windpipe and nose, and I am freaked out about this). Can anyone put my mind at ease about this? Do they do the tubes while you are asleep, and take them out before you wake up, so that you don't even know? Thanks for everyone being there, this really makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
New here, afraid of general anesthesia!

Hello, ispy and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited hugs to dispense to you at all stages of your journey to good health!

General anesthesia was a breeze for me. Like you described, everything was done after I was already sound asleep. The only evidence that I even had a tube, was that afterwards, I noticed my throat was a little sore...no big deal - just like when you have a little cold.

Please try not to concern yourself about this. I am sending positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 03-03-2006, 06:48 PM

I was also freaking out about being "put under" before I had my surgery. I can tell you that I don't remember a thing from the time I was first in the operating room until I woke up while I was being moved to my bed. I had never had any type of surgery before. I was also nervous about the IV but it turned out to be no big deal. (although I couldn't wait to get it OUT)

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 07:03 PM

Please do not be afraid. VERY few people have problems with anethesia.

You will not remember any of it once they tell you to breathe into the mask. I do not think they put a tube down your nose-just down into your throat to breathe for you. I did not even have a sore throat.

I had no recolection of being shaved, having a catheter put it or anything. I just woke up hearing...."your surgery is over, you need to wake up-you did beautifully". I do remember hearing the monitors beeping and I do remember being wheeled into the recovery room, but again I did not care too much about anything. I do remember, most of all, shaking alot-and having a warm blanket over me and asking why I was shaking so bad and they told me it was due to the anethesia. Have no idea what it is that they give you that gives you the shakes.

They will, more than likely give you some Versed..or what I call "happy juice" before. You will not care much after that, what they are going to do to you. They usually give this to you almost as soon as you are in the holding room and have your IV in.

If you are nervous when you arrive @the hospital, tell them-they are used to hearing this.

You will wake up and it will be all over

and best wishes to you.
Unread 03-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I can relate...

Hi,
I was very concerned about anethesia, too. But, was very happy about how it went for me.

Here is a link where several ladies wrote about their surgeries:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=241364

I think it will help you.

Wishing you the best: smooth sailing through surgery and recovery.

Kate
Unread 03-03-2006, 08:01 PM

I got some medication through my IV and POOF!!! I was waking up AFTER all the tubes were put in and the surgery was over. When I woke up was the time for me to let the staff know how I felt and they controlled my pain and wisked me away to my room. Try to relax, it really was nothing to get worked up about for me.Good luck.
Unread 03-03-2006, 09:53 PM

Dear Princesses: Thank you everyone so much for the advice. I will try to calm down. I will definitely post afterwards as to how the anesthesia went, and the whole thing.
Unread 03-03-2006, 09:54 PM

Hi,

Nothing major happens until you get knocked out. That's when they put in the Catheter, the tubes, etc. Heck, when I had my procedure done at my local hospital. The nice nurse even numbed the area where she was going to put in the IV. I didn't feel a thing.

I had the D & C about 21 days before my LAVH, and I freaked out cuz they sent in an intern to do my IV (and I'm a NEEDLE WUSSY)... so they send in a RN to do it instead of this intern... and the RN seen how freaked out I was and numbed the hand up for me... I didnt' feel a thing. So when I went back for my LAVH, I reminded the nurse that I was here three weeks ago, and this nice nurse named Sally numbed the area, and she said "Oh, ok, I can do that"... apparently it's almost a commonly asked thing... because they carry that numbing med right in there little IV cart thing they carry around.

The IV that would normally bother me... did not.

So most of what goes on in the O.R. will be done when you are put to sleep... no worries, you'll do fine.

Good Luck

Twizz
Unread 03-03-2006, 10:09 PM

I will definitely ask for the numbing on the IV site, although fortunately for me I don't really care about needles (fortunate since my veins are hard to find and sometimes they have to stick me more than once!); or maybe I am so afraid of the general anesthesia that the needles pale in comparison. Did everyone get Verced first? I am specifically asking to *not* be given Verced, because it causes amnesia and I have reasons for not wanting that side effect (I believe in being aware as possible, without actually being *awake* for heaven's sake). So can someone else tell me that they did it without Verced and it still went well? Hystersisters has helped me handle all of my fears except for the lingering one over the general anesthesia; and it is getting *much* better after reading all of your posts on the matter (and the link that K3Cg3 gave me (thank you!).
Unread 03-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Scared of a General.....

Remember...everything is going to be alright. I always tell people that the hardest part for me is from the front door of the hospital until I am on the table, and that is the truth. Everything after that ( for me, anyway,) is all downhill!

When I had my TVH, I was given a spinal with Morphine. I thought when they told me this that it mean't I would be awake. I almost passed out! The Anesthesiologist called me the night before and explained that although I wasn't receiving a general, I would indeed be asleep (and she would monitor to ensure that I stayed asleep if the surgery ran long.) As it turns out, this worked really well for me, I never felt any pain at all, not even after the surgery. I was definately out the entire time. Waking up and recovering was really smooth for me this time. General anesth. makes me very groggy and yucky for days. The Morphine via the spinal is more efficient and effective, and stays with you better for a few days to give you good pain relief.

FWIW, here is my advice. Let the doc's know you are scared, and they should take you seriously. I had my doc prescribe 2 Ativan for the night before and/or the morning of surgery to keep me from jumping out of the window in fear. As it turns out, I was fine the night before, just took one in the morning, with the blessing of all doc's involved, of course. Nurse did IV with a numbing shot first, all was fine.Everyone involved knew I was TERRIFIED beyond logical reason, so they all were very nice. I walked into the OR on my own with the Anesthesiologist, sat down on the table, she put the happy juice into my IV and I was gone to dreamland in a matter of seconds. ( Knocked me out sitting up so they could do the spinal after I was out.)

It was truly one of the best medical experiences of my life, and that is significant since I am a huge chicken. (Had an anxiety attack before a prior surgery and FLED the hospital from my pre-op bed, so when I say I am a chicken, you know I mean it!!

Breathe deep, you will be fine no matter what technique they use. We are all here for you!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register