New here, afraid of general anesthesia! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, afraid of general anesthesia! New here, afraid of general anesthesia!

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:22 PM
New here, afraid of general anesthesia!

ispy,
Don't fret, I was afraid too and I told the anesthesiologist. When they took me to the operating room I remember getting on the table and someone asking me if I wanted a pillow under my legs, as I have an old back injury and the table was uncomfortable. That's all I remember. They gave me medicine that causes retrograde amnesia. the next thing I remember is being in my room with family around me. I have no knowledge of the surgery or recovery room, except for what the doctor told me. There are tubes down your throat but you don't know it and after wards it's a very minor sore throat. 's Marie 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
it's not so bad

Anesthesia is very serious business and thank goodness we don't have to use it too often. I understand your concerns, but there is good news, as many of the other women have shared here.

They put in all the tubes after I was under, including the dreaded Foley catheter (in the urethra). I certainly don't remember anything. Not only that, but I don't remember anything after pre-op when the anesthesiologist gives you something to "relax." Out like a light, no memory of entering the operating room or anything else.

Sometimes a little "amnesia" is a blessed thing!
Unread 03-03-2006, 10:45 PM

thank you Marie that is what I am hoping for -- close my eyes and open them, like no time has passed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2006, 11:53 PM

The only way I knew there were tubes down my throat was I obtained a copy of my surgery records when I had the ablation done. I like the "happy juice." LOL. The only thing I worry about is my bp dropping too low like it did the last time.

I used to go to an excellant dentist who would put me out to work on my teeth. The thing she recommended doing right before she put the IV in was to take a deep breath. It works.
Unread 03-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Good idea smilin faces! Hints are good. <deep breath> whew I feel better already.
Unread 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM

geez I could have written that post myself I too am terrified of generaland havenever had it . I have had epidurals 3x( with sedation 2x times ) That happy juice is a wonder. I recall for my hyster going into OR sitting up for epidural and being " slammed down quickly.. then I remember asking the doctor when we were going to start ... as I glanced at the clock ( but w/o my glasses) did not notice it was hours later. she leaned over and said we are done!
Now I am going in for exploratory laprotonomy with left tunbe and ovary ( with masses) removal.so I am having an open vertical incision.. and possbiliy more.I am terrified .Its wednesday and I think I have a cold ( it seems ) so I might cancel or they might cancel me.
I wanted another epidural but I'm betting based on teh questions and sizing up I got at preop that they expect and hope to do a general...Petrified I am . sedarion will definately be in order........ I don't do antivan and valium, so walking in the door will be an anxiety producing blood pressure raising experience for me!
versed is fabuloyus I had taht weith an EDG and I only remember teh doctor telling me in french ( as a joke ) to shut up...as I was gabbing a mile a minute( which I do when I 'm scared). Best of luck to you. I'm sure we will both do fine and I'll be looking for your posts!
Unread 03-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Wow Maven, they did your hysterectomy with an epidural? I wonder if I could get just an epidural? (I'm getting a TAH for an 18 wk fibroid uterus and hopefully leaving ovaries) Although, I actually think I want to be asleep for it, I don't know if I can handle hearing them talking about my uterus.
Unread 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM

They gave me the happy juice with the epidural so I went in awake and talking and suddenly contined my conversation but they were all done ( like 2-3 hours later!)..... I asked where I was and my docyor said I took a nap, that imust have been up late and worried and I just fell asleep and napped while they did all that surgery!!! I was amazed ,but I have no reacll of anything in between laying down after the epidural was placed and my asking when we were going to start, and finding out we were done! That is a great surgical experince and I hope to have another as good... or else buck up and try the general , everyone says its not too bad , they do everything to you after your already asleep ( not deep sleep ) so you never know... I'll let you know IF I go wednesday how it all goes..
Unread 03-04-2006, 07:01 PM

Yes, please let me know. Also, how long is a hysterectomy supposed to take (if all goes well -- TAH)?
Unread 03-04-2006, 07:37 PM

I think mine took about 2 1/2 hours..but I was napping.. They also removed my appendix ( general surgeon scrubbed in to do that) I think its being offered more and more , must be a high incidence of woman having appendectomies otherwise ( I suppose) They only left one ovary and look where that is getting me... a ticket back to the OR!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register