Is recovery like c-section recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is recovery like c-section recovery? Is recovery like c-section recovery?

Unread 03-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Is recovery like c-section recovery?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm 2 weeks away from surgical date (03/15). I have a 7cm dermoid cyst and 90% sure a hysterectomy because of the size of cyst and it is on my only remaining ovary. Laparoscopy may not be an option due to cyst size so if it is an open surgery bye-bye uterus.

I think I'm okay with it, I've been feeling so crappy since the diagnosis, now that I know WHY I've felt so tired and icky for over 2 years. All my friends who have had hysters. have said I'll feel so much better afterwards.

How do you guys feel about your situations?

I'm 43, have a 13 yo son and an almost 12 yo daughter. My baby days have long been over. :-)

I've had surgery in the passed for cysts and both kids were c-section so the scar has been well used.

How did you guys do after surgery? Much different than a c-section recovery?

Thanks for any advice/information you can give!

Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2006, 10:55 AM

I talked to my sister and she said that recovery is similar to a c-section recovery. I remember I was driving within a week of my c-section so I could go to the hospital to see my babies. I am ready to get the pain over with, and get on with life. I go in on Thursday for my surgery. Good Luck
Unread 03-04-2006, 11:34 AM

I have had 4 c-sections, and I am here to tell you that it is not the same.

There is much more work done internally with a hysterectomy. With a c-section you have a baby removed and a uterus stitched up and everything put back into place. You are able to lift and hold your babies. With a hysterectomy, you have major organ(s) removed, ligaments cut, blood supply cut and hundreds of stitches. You have to be very careful about not overdoing while you are healing. It is possible to cause damage to yourself during this time.

I was not released to drive until 4 weeks. I don't think that is unusual.

Please read the Checkpoints for a very reasonable idea of what you can be expected to be able to do during your recover. I found it to be right on track with what my Dr's orders were.

S,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2006, 11:44 AM

I have to agree with Kay...it's not the same as having a c-section. I had two c-sections and thought my hyst would be the same easy going recovery that I had with the c-sections....It's not. You have to remember that you are having a major organ removed and that itself moves everything else around in there too. I was released to drive at 2 weeks after my hyst but it really didn't feel comfortable until about 3 or 4 weeks. Twisting and turning really do take it's toll on you. Best advice is to just listen to your body...everyone heals at different rates.

Leslie
Unread 03-04-2006, 12:28 PM

I found hysterectomy recovery far, far easier than cesarean -- I think because I didn't have an infant or an infant and a toddler to care for. Oh, and of course, I had a terrible husband after the two cesareans and a fabulously supportive one after hyster.
Unread 03-04-2006, 10:50 PM

I've had four abdominal surgeries: two c-sections, a hysterectomy, and an open debridement of an old hematoma a year after my hysterectomy.

Of those, my first c-section (when I was 28, weighed the least, and was in the best physical condition of any of my surgeries) was by far the worst and longest recovery, followed by my hysterectomy (age 44), followed by my second c-section (age 40). The most recent hematoma surgery (age 45) was by far the easiest and shortest recovery -- I was back at work essentially full-time at 3 weeks post-op.

Conclusion? At least in my experience, there's no way to predict the recovery based on the type of surgery. Each surgery is unique, depending on your physical condition, age, the particulars of the surgery and so many other factors.

to you.
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:05 AM

mjd2491, you bring up some interesting variables. I, too, was very young (24) and thin (118 lbs pre pregnancy) when I had my first cesarean, which was also by far my worst surgery. Now I'm 51 and 200 pounds, and yet the hyster was much easier. Go figure.
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:09 AM

WOW - looks like recovery runs the gamet.

I meet with my MD on the 10th to go over surgical proceedure, questions etc. My cyst is pressing on everything, I can't sit for long, lay down for long, only the recliner eases the discomfort. No pain, just pressure and like no room left in my pelvic area! :-/

I know it sounds crazy - but I'm really ready for her to take it all.

I'm not adverse to pain or recovery I am just tired of being tired. Giving up 4-6 weeks is a short time considering what many others go through - i.e. cancer recovery, life time illness, etc.

Thank you all for your input, praying that God leads this whole situation and thankful He led me here to HysterSisters.

10 days and counting . . .

Denise
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:47 AM

I've had 4 csections, and while my recovery is somewhat the same, it's also different. The incision pain wasn't as bad initially, but I felt better sooner after my sections. I'm not having as much gas with the hyster, and my mobility is better. I was told post op that my surgery was a lot more involved than they thought it was going to be, but so far recovery has been mostly uneventful.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Re: is recovery like c-section recovery

Well, my hyster was almost 1 year ago. I also had a c-section for my daughter. I personally think that pain level was about the same, next to none. But the recovery time and limitations are much longer with my hyst than with my c-section. I felt better on about the same time frame as far as lifting or moving etc. But was more tired with my hyst than with my c-section.

Personally, I think for me they were about the same with the exception of lifting things and driving. I refused to drive for 4 weeks, my dr cleared me at 2 weeks, but still felt sluggish in reaction time. And I wouldn't lift things for in fear of hurting myself.

Each person is different, so each recovery time is different. I just thought I would give you my perspective. Keep us posted and I wish you a speedy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register