Questions for large women about TAH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for large women about TAH Questions for large women about TAH

Unread 03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Questions for large women about TAH

I had a LAVH on march 2. I am a big beautiful woman, size 20-22. I feel really good today. Came home the same night. I have 3 small incisions.The one on the right being the largest. This has one stitch. The rest are steri stripped. Very little drainage if any. The Dr. did say it took longer to insert the "tubes" d/t adipose tissue on the right side. There was some bruising. I was also told my Dr. was one of the best with the laprascopic hyst. I'm so glad I don't have a huge incision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM

I too am "fluffy" and I had my surgury 7 mths ago today. I had no problems with my vertical incision. I really never gave it a thought about being over weight. I also had 22 stapels and had no problem when they were removed. Just talk to your dr. about your concerns as they will be able to answer any questions you have.
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Size 20-22 and 11 days post-op for TAH

Hi there, what a great question...

I have had little difference in my recovery due to my size. I think the real question is whether you have weight related health issues eg hypertension, diabetes etc. Take care to discuss your medical history in detail at your pre-op appointment, so that if there are issues (1) the doctor and anistesist can counsel you, and if necessary (2) discuss risks or options if there are other issues.

In my case, the incision was bikini style and below my roll. Of course I can't see it well and the challenge is to keep it clean and dry. My gyno used surgical glue (no stitches or staples) for the exterior incision and therefore I could have a shower as soon as I could walk. To keep the incision dry and clean, I do the following:

1. Shower daily using a mild liquid soap on the area (no direct spray on the incision);

2. Pat area dry;

3. Use unfolded 4X4 gauze pads by placing on the incision and lowering the roll to hold the guaze in place' Gauze keeps area dry and also lets you know if there is any bleeding or discharge when you change it. I was a little nervous and changed the guaze 2X day for the first week. Once the incision is healed or closed no need to continue with the guaze.

Otherwise I have had no special worries or instructions.

Good luck, try not to worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM

Another "fluffy" woman checking in...I did not have any problems with my recovery because of my weigh. In fact, being a lady-in-waitng was much harder on me than my recovery has been.

Because I have other health issues, I discussed my problems with my family doctor, GYN and anesthetician (sp) so that I was sure all knew what we were dealing with. I think this lead to me having a successful surgery with very few problems. Of course, the first 24 hours are not very pleasant...thank goodness for the "pain pump".

After surgery, I paid particular attention to the incision area. A mirror is helpful in viewing the area...and for me, a magnifying mirror was needed (LOL). I used a hair dryer on a low setting to ensure that all moisture was gone after my shower. And, if I had a particular sweaty day, I'd clean the area again with soap and water and used the hair dryer. Six months later, I can see a few spots where stubborn staples were hard to get out; but my incision is almost invisible...horizontal incision.

Keep a positive attitude and ask doctors questions that are bothering you. The pressure of waiting is terrible and the more at ease you can feel, the better. I wish for you a successul surgery and a non-eventful recovery.
Unread 03-06-2006, 12:06 AM

I'm glad to see this thread here, as well as the new item under "Hystories" about women of size. I'm a "big ol' juicy gal" myself, and I've been wondering about all these things too. I have had surgery recently for breast cancer, and this surgery will be in the same hospital (maybe I'll luck out and get the same anesthesiologist - he was super!). We (hubby and I) did ask my gyn if my weight would be a concern for her, and she said it wouldn't be. She plans to go in abdominally, however, since she thinks it would be easier to get to everything this way. I've never been pregnant and, according to the doctor, I have a "very long vagina." (Sorry if that's TMI) So I'll be having the "bikini incision" too. She said she'd most likely put it in a crease.

I'll be glad to have this all behind me.

CD
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:12 AM

I am a big fluffy woman 20-22.
My incision was in the crease up under my belly.
I think it worked wonderful. My incision was not only protected by the belly overhang, it kept it together. I had less likely a chance of 'pulling it apart'.

I have healed great. I forget I had surgery until I look up under my 'flap'.

On the humerous side. If you look at the incision in the mirror while the stapes are still in, you see a smiling face incision with stapes for braces. Just remember not to laugh too hard. It will hurt a bit.

Good luck,

Nancy
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:19 AM

I too am a fluffy princess. 255lbs. I have had 7 surgeries in the last 4 1/2 years with 4 vertical incisions and 2 horizontal and 1 laprascopic. My TAH/BSO was horizontal and well under my roll. My doctor told me to keep it dry and to clean with a mixture of 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water a couple times a day. I also used a mirror to check on how it looked. I didn't have any gauze so I used a paper towel folded over to soak up any drainage. All of mine have healed well. Good luck to you and take it easy and do what the Dr. says.
Unread 03-06-2006, 01:23 AM

I'm glad to see this question as I was wondering about this too. Thanks for posting it.

The way my doctor explained it made a lot of sense. He said it was best to do an abdominal incision on a person who carries their weight in the stomach because it allows him to see exactly what is wrong inside better than a laproscopic incision. He was very delicate about it and said some people carry more weight in their stomach and some carry more weight in their legs. He's a very nice doctor and also my surgeon. I trust him completely. I also had the receptionist up front make a note that I wanted the same anesthesiologist I had last time because he was very good. I hope the ladies that scheduled my surgery made note of that.
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:03 AM

HI 47Kimber,

I'm a fluffy lady also and when I had my surgery my doctor never had much of a problem. I was careful to dry the incision properly at all times with my hair dryer on low and I also let the sun at it as well.

I had a sppedy and uneventful recovery and I hope you do too.

Take care.......Karen
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:54 AM

At the time of my hysterectomy I was 415 lbs. My doctor cut me hip bone to hip bone and removed the "apron" that was called my stomach so I lost about 35 lbs right there.I have 105 staples and God knows how many stitches inside. I won't kid you the initial 2-3 days were painful. If you get a pump for pain killers use it. As I had a history with blood clots I had to be up walking the next day. It's not a picnic but really it isn't for anyone. Plus the more you do and work at it the easier it becomes. I was determined to recover as quick as I could.

Now granted 3 weeks after the surgery. I got an incision infection complete with fever and headaches. I was warned that this would be a risk so I knew that before hand. Antibioitcs (and I have been on many) and close follow up with my surgeon plus I got a nurse in visiting every day to pack the area that was cut and drained and day be day I am getting there. Doing more and more everyday.

So there are risks, and that is true for anyone big or small. I choose to have this surgery to save my life as I had precancer that had high number and about to turn into real cancer. I owed it to my husband and 15 year old daughter to do what I could to be around for them. I don't regret this surgery at all. I get frustrated some days and wish this draining in my insision would stop. However all in all, no regrets.

I wish you strength, faith in God and love in your journey.

April

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register