Questions for large women about TAH - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for large women about TAH Questions for large women about TAH

Unread 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Questions for large women about TAH

Those are great suggestions, Kelly! Thank you!

CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2006, 02:05 AM

I'm not overly fluffy but enough.... I was worried about this as I had my op at the height of summer. Stay in your PJ's or nighty (preferably cotton so they breathe) for as long as you can, not wearing underwear and then a layer of clothing really helps. I stayed in my PJ's and nighties for about 4 weeks unless I had to go out, I also lay down on the bed and enjoyed the luxury of reading a book... best of all don't feel guilty about either, enjoy it... it's not like you get the chance to do it that often and for so long.
Unread 03-15-2006, 12:01 PM

I too am a "fluffy" gal and I think I had an advantage with the incision healing compared to co-workers. My incision is under my "roll" so my panties, pants and p.j.'s didn't rub my incision raw like friends said it would. My only issue was keeping incision dry...I found that taking a hand towel and gently lifting my "roll" and using the towel to keep skin off of skin was very helpful. At 3 week check my doc was pleased with incision sight. Good luck and hugs to all "fluffy" sisters. Deb TAH Feb7, 2006 and loving life again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2006, 05:53 PM

I am a size 18 and I never gave my size much thought. My doctor never had a problem with it. I suppose problems during surgery result more from health issues not weight. Our weight is just a number on the scale, it is not a true picture of how healthy we are or not. I know many "small" people who have health issues. I know one who had a hyst. and it took her much longer to recover than myself. Stay healthy and be positive. Be happy....
Unread 03-15-2006, 06:40 PM

I to am "fluffy"....no one even mentioned my weight to me. Didn't really even think of it until I saw this thread. I'm a size 18, my bakini cut scar is 9 inches long, and I had no trouble with an infection or anything like that. I had two surgeries, the first was to remove just fibroids then when they came back I had a TAH. My weight wasn't an issue.
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:13 PM

Hi

Thank you for mentioning your incision size) I had a co-worker tell me hers was from 1 side to the other side, that sound like a very long one!! Is 9 inches the average size?? How was your pain after they took you off the good stuff?? How was your first walk after surgery?? How long after surgery did they get you up and wall?? How long was your first walk? Or how many minutes?? Did they make you walk every day?? Once a day?? What kind of walking routine did you have?? How long were you in the castle?? Did you have a TAH??

Kimber

PS Sorry for all the questions?? MY surgery is comming up in less than a week, and I got the nerves going on )
Unread 03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Not too many questions....

Kimber,

Not to worry about the questions...that's what we sisters are here for. Fear and anxiety are fuelled by the unknown so the more we know and understand, hopefully the more relaxed one is going in to surgery.
In response to your questions, I will share my experiences....

My incision is the same site that was used for my 2 c-sections. It is a bikini incision approx 8 in long. Of course each doctor has their own style and way of doing things.

With regards to walking, I had a catheter and was not able to walk with out the assistance of a nurse arranging the 'pee' bag and intravenous on the pole. My first walk was once down the hall and back...the nurse let me gage the distance I could do with no pressure. My first walk was the first day after evening meds ( my surgery was at 8am). After that the nurses didn't really push me to walk, probably because, I went for a walk 2/day there after when my family came to first. By the third day I walked to the elevator with DH, down the elevator and to Tim Horton's for a coffee.

Here in Ontario, we have health coverage but limited health care (shortage of doctors, nurses and beds). Therefore, the nurses deal with the urgent, the meds, changing IVs, and dressings etc. and urge you to be independent. They are happy when the family can assist with walks etc.

Yes, I had a TAH( kept both ovaries). Mys surgery was on Wed and I went home Saturday (only because I lied about having a BM - that was a mistake, because I didn't have one until day 8 or 9 and what pain.)

If you have any further question, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck and start the pampering before you go to the hospital...it will get you in the right frame of mind and keep you busy.
Unread 03-23-2006, 09:10 AM

I, too, am "fluffy" (I love this adjective, by the way)...I'm an 18/20 and had no complications as a result of my size. My DH had to wash my incision, which is under my roll, because I couldn't see it and, quite frankly, didn't like how it felt - but I had no problems. Good luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register