asthma and anesthesia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

asthma and anesthesia asthma and anesthesia

Unread 03-07-2006, 10:17 PM
asthma and anesthesia

Hi, I have asthsma too and recently had a hysteroscopy and D&C under general anesthesia. I use advair daily and have found that to work wonders for me, hardly every have asthsma attacks anymore, but before surgery I had respirator therepy to really open my lungs and I had no problem at all from the surgery or the tube down my throat. As a matter of fact I wasn't aware of it at all! I agree to just make sure you let the anestheologist know when you go for pre-op testing. Tjoyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
asthma and anesthesia

I have asthma my whole life and never had problems after OR and I have had 19 in my life the longest one was 4hrs or so. My advice would be for you to call up the hospital tell them your concerns and talk to the "sleep Dr". I just keep taking my med's the same as always on the days of my operation and they'll listen to your chest make you use your puffer and have it on hand for after but to ease your mind I'd call and just talk to the Dr's to see what they have to say. i had my hyst on Jan 23/06
Shoosh
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:35 PM
asthma and anesthesia

I have asthma and I'm a smoker so my surgen perscribed a new inhaler for me. I can't remember the name of it(that happens alot lately.lol) But it was for COPD (which I don't have). I took it once a day for a couple of weeks before surgery and continued after surgery for 2 more weeks. It really helped. He also had me on breathing treatments the first day after. I never had a single problem. It's good that my house is still a mess because I found the box. It's Spiriva. Maybe you could ask your doctor if it would help you. I'm sure you'll do fine. The main reason my doctor perscribed it for me is because he said he didn't want my lungs to be damaged and it would help protect them. It worked for me. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 01:44 AM
asthma and anesthesia

I have asthma and a number of other lung/breathing issues, plus chronic sinus disease. Oh yeah mucus UGH! They gave me a couple of pills as they were prepping me that morning, one of which was to help reduce mucus. There was no problem at all. Be sure to talk to your anesthesia doc about this, maybe even see about getting an appointment to talk with him/her/them before you're admitted. Also you might want to talk to your doc who treats your breathing stuff to see if they want to do any changes to your med regimen.

They did a combination of general and epidural anesthesia for me. It still required intubation, but it meant less general anesthesia, so that was easier on my lungs. The anesthesia people monitor your airways very well; that's part of their job. You will also have respiratory therapist support available instantly as needed, so hopefully at the slightest sign of your airways going twitchy they'll get meds in there before you're ever aware of any trouble.

I came through just fine, only had to grab the rescue inhaler once or twice the whole time. Do be sure to follow your med regimen carefully and to do all the breathing exercises and stuff that are prescribed. That helped me a lot.
Unread 03-08-2006, 03:16 AM
asthma and anesthesia

I have asthma too and they gave me a breathing treatment shortly before they put me under. I continued to have breathing treatments every four hours while I was in the hospital and did not have any problem with my asthma at all.
Unread 03-08-2006, 03:33 AM
asthma and anesthesia

I have asthma, sarcoidosis (another lung disease - tumours on both lungs and in many lymph nodes) and sleep apnoea. My puffers went to theatre with me and I used them just before I was put under. I had no problems whatsoever.

I had an epidural for post op pain relief, with the twilight general and had no nausea or adverse reactions to anything. The epidural was left in for 48 hours. I breezed through recovery and I sincerely believe it was because the first 48 hours were virtually pain free. After the epidural was removed I changed to paracetamol until day 8 post op and then needed no pain relief at all.

It is important to discuss your asthma with the "a" man. Also very important is if you have sleep apnoea. They need to know BEFORE surgery so they are prepared.

All the very best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
asthma and anesthesia

Thank you all so much for the wonderful help and advise.
I went to my pre-op stuff today and discussed things with the nurses but they couldn't get me in to the nighty night gang. They said I should meet them Tuesday morning before I go into surgery. But they did leave them a HUGE note on my paperwork that goes to the nighty night gang to let them know that RT may need to be on hand. They also told me to definately take my asthma meds the night before, my normal inhaler treatments that morning and to bring my rescue inhaler with me to surgery. So I guess I'll have to see what happens on Tuesday. I'm excited yet nervous but happy yet sad all at the same time. I feel very out of control of my own emotions. Its very weird. But a good weird if that makes any sense at all.
Thanks a bunch ladies for all your help and support.
You ladies are wonderful.
Kris
nervously awaiting Tuesday
I'M PRINCESS BOUND!!!
Unread 03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
asthma and anesthesia

Hi Kris,
Take care and my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Since you mentioned you have asthsma I was just wondering if you've ever tried advair to control it? I have been using it for about a year and it has been the miracle drug for me. What do you use to control your asthsma? Anyway just take it easy and try to calm your nerves as much as possible before your surgery. Let us know how it went when you are back online. Your hystersister, tjoyce
Unread 03-09-2006, 03:57 PM
asthma and anesthesia

I have severe adult asthma and was under 2 hours for my TAH. A long as they are aware of it, they really keep an on eye you. Good luck!
Unread 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM
asthma and anesthesia

I was worried about this too. I have HIE (Hyper IgE Syndrome, meaning I'm allergic to almost everything) plus brittle asthma, I'm disabled. I'm on four asthma meds and a Pulmoaid treatment machine and the 'puffers' don't do much at all for me. I also use a Bipap at night (Cpap was too strong for my weak lungs). So...I'm having a spinal/epi for surgery, on a Saturday no less...I'll be the ONLY surgery that day. My pulmonologist will be there too, standing by with the respiratory team. I've had to stop and wean off my oral steroids, but am still on the inhaled one and the nasal steroid (I'm kept on steroids all the time).

Just discuss it, as the others have said with your surgeon and your anesthesiologist. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.

Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register