TVH Experiences? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH Experiences? TVH Experiences?

Unread 03-09-2006, 10:15 AM
TVH Experiences?

Well I have been lurking here reading all the experiences with TVH. I will have mine on the 31st.

I am 59 and such a coward when is comes to pain. Was glad to read your story Happy---and that your were offered something stronger than ibupronfen during ur recovery period. I get bad cramps and pain from simply a pap smear.

I will go under general but need something for nasuea afterward. I have only been under once before and got very sick.

I guess one of my biggest concerns is-since I will go alone and/or be dropped off at the hosp. the morning of.how will they handle my bag--cel-phone-and ID and such. Where will it be put while I am in surgery?

I am also curious as to how much this procedure costs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 10:38 AM
TVH Experiences?

Hi midwestcaregive,
Yes people do get more than ibuprophen after surgery. Did your dr. say that that's all you would get after surgery? You may want to check out this post as it has a lot of information on anesthesia both general and regional. It also has a link and information on how to prevent nausea after surgery. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=244446

Since you are going alone, I don't think the hospital allows cell phones. Leave all valubles at home as you don't want to lose anything. I was given a hospital bag to put my clothes and shoes into. I had my husband bring me another bag from home after my surgery was over. I also had him bring in my body pillow which was great when I needed to be on my side when I had the epidural in. I couldn't just lay in one position for the 24 hours. I just took the clothes and shoes that I had and my husband took my driver's license after I was finished checking in. Is there anyway someone can go with you to make sure that they can keep your ID and take it home? Do you have a friend that can maybe stay during your surgery so that the dr. can talk to him or her? If you will be groggy and have general you may not find out how your surgery went. A friend would be a great help. You will definitely need a ride home and think about bringing a tummy pillow for the ride home. I had one that I used and it was perfect to go between the seatbelt and my belly. There is a lot of internal stitches after a hysterectomy even if it's a vaginal one. Some women can have over 100 internal stitches. This is major surgery. I hope that you will have help after you get home.

I still get regular pap smears even after my TVH because the dr. recomended it. Lots of women still get paps after hysterectomy because of the chance of vaginal cancer could be a concern.

As for the costs, I'm not sure what my final cost was but if I hadn't had insurance I think it was between 10,000 and 15,000. They bill you like $4.00 for one pain pill if you need something. I hope that you have insurance. Please tell me that you have insurance. Afterwards I don't remember how much I paid out of pocket because my insurance covered 80%.

Good luck to you and I hope that I answered your questions. Maybe someone else can remember how much their bill was.
Unread 03-09-2006, 10:41 AM
TVH Experiences?

Midwestcare

I've also wondered what it'll be like in the hospital. I've never been there overnight (I don't count sitting by my son's bedside after his surgery). Would I be tougher if I was just dropped off by one my sons or should I have a friend come and keep me company? My mom would just drive me crazy. I imagine the staff will put your personal items in a locker.

The best of luck on your surgery.

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 10:47 AM
TVH Experiences?

Rose it may be a good idea to have a friend go with you to take you and wait till after the dr. tells her how the surgery went as long as you tell the dr. to tell your friend how it went. Due to Hippa laws only certain people may be able to be notified about your condition. You could list your friend as someone who can be notified. As for after you get into your room, depending on what you have for pain relief you may be groggy from the anesthesia or maybe totally awake. I was awake and calling my husband to come with my family to visit me. The visit went great and I was so glad to see them. My father mentioned that I had some flushing near my neck and I notified the nurse about it so she just gave me some benadryl in my I.V. thinking that I was having a minor allergic reaction. I told her that I didn't want her taking out my epidural because I felt so good and didnt' have any pain at all and she said she wouldn't do that.

As far as a locker you could probably call the hospital in advance to see if they have them. Most of the time at least where I live they just put the things in a bag and leave them under your rolling bed the whole time. It may not be able to be locked up which is why when you sign the papers they say to leave your valuables at home. However you may need your I.D. when checking in so try to get the person who gives you a ride to stick around till they see your I.D. and then give it to her so you can get your I.D. hospital bracelet. They just want to make sure it's you who is having the surgery and not someone else.
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
TVH Experiences?

Happy I have insurance--5,000 deductible. 80% after that so this is an investment for me.

As to the post op meds.."tbel" mentioned that she only was given and only needed the ibuprofen. She must have a very high threshold for pain.

I have a handicapped son. My hubby and he will bring me to the hospital--I was going to ask the doc. to call him after surgery. I don't want them waiting....at the hospital. Too much for my son.

My stepdaughter will help after I get home but she works. To be honest I would just rather be alone for this. I have every confidense that the hospital staff will take good care of me.
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
TVH Experiences?

Thanks, Happy.

My BF doesn't handle health problems well. And he's pretty squeamish. I think it would be best to leave him out of it. I have a good friend that has offered to be with me whenever she's needed. My oldest might help me "buck up" since I'm such a sissy. He's 24. Thanks for posting. This board has helped me think out loud about what's going to happen.
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
TVH Experiences?

Oh ok,
I'm glad that you are getting a ride from your husband. Yes I'm sure that the dr. can give him a call after surgery if you just tell the dr. to give him a call. When I was in recovery I asked the nurse to call my husband to tell him I was doing good and I gave her the number and she called him. She said it would be another hour or so before I got a room and I agree that there wasn't any reason for him to stay while I was in recovery but he did stay during the surgery till the dr. came out to talk with him.

As for being alone totally with no visits wow you must be strong. I was lonely at one point after my family left me. You could be in there for two to four days depending on what's being done. I was there for two nights and three days including the day of surgery. I left after the second night the next afternoon.

I hope everything goes well for you. If you have a picture of your husband and son you may want to bring it with you. I brought a picture of my family so that the nurses could see them and make nice comments. I didn't want them to feel like I was childless and young when I had my surgery at 29. I was glad to have a picture sitting on my bedside table. :-) You could have phone contact with your husband during certain hospital hours and if your stepdaughter is able to take care of your son maybe your husband can visit you after surgery. You may get lonely so I'm just making a suggestion for you. s
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM
TVH Experiences?

I wanted to add that my kids ages 2, 5, and 7 at the time handled visiting me very well with my husband and father. They saw that I was ok and alive. I'm not sure how worried they were but I was so happy to see all of them and I was not sure how my 2 year old would handle separation anxiety from me being in the hospital. Having grandpa there did help with keeping them busy.
Unread 03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
TVH Experiences?

I had a wonderful experience with my TVH... you can read about it at: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=223670

It was my first "over nighter" in a hospital and I was pretty nervous about that in advance. It turned out that I had nothing to worry about. I was SO LUCKY... my biggest worry post-recovery was to not over do it because I was feeling so good. My doctor let me drive at two weeks (if I was not taking pain meds). Sex (and baths) were allowed at four weeks. The most important thing I would say is TAKE IT EASY. You still have an internal incision. If you can, take as much time off from work as possible. I took six weeks off (even though I COULD have returned earlier). And take the lifting restrictions VERY SERIOUSLY... don't cheat on ANY restrictions... ESPECIALLY not these restrictions.

Good luck and please feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can answer.
Unread 03-10-2006, 11:36 PM
TVH Experiences?

This thread has had lots of good advice and info about this particular surgery. I am scheduled for a LAVH but it still helped to read others experiences.

Midwestcaregive ~
We have the same surgery date. Here's to being pain free and starting a whole new life with lots of activities and fun!

I just love this site! It's been the best thing for me finding it when I did. Thanks ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register