New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy

Unread 03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy

Hi all,

I'm new here, not looked around much yet but intend to in the coming days. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on March 27, now less than three weeks away. I am 31, married, and have a 4 year old son. I have fibroids, I didn't know until I was pregnant with my son, I grew very large very fast, and had to eventually have a vertical incision c-section after a high risk pregancy with monthly ultrasounds and bedrest the last few months. 5 months later I had an open myo, with my vertical incision being opened again, and 4 fibroids removed, three were smaller, at about 3 cm each, and the large one, which was measured by ultrasound during my pregancy as 18 x 24 cm, was described by my surgeon as the size of a soccer ball, and close to 20 lbs. I was fine after that, for 2 years. December, 2004 I had a hernia repaired, ended up being herniated endometriosis tissue. No big deal compared to the other surgeries I'd had. Fall of 2005 I had an ultrasound confirm something I knew already...that I had more fibroids. This past October I had a laparoscopic myomectomy, which removed 4 fibroids, the largest ones about 5 cms. Two months later, I had regrowth or more, as confirmed by ultrasound. I was in the same shape as before surgery. I've decided to have a hysterectomy. I am not quite sure what to expect, but am trying to learn in the next three weeks. I have looked into the other "fibroid treatments" out there, and decided for myself that this is what I was going to do. We have a wonderful, healthy son, and pregnancy with fibroids is not something I feel like tackling again. I feel like my life is complete....but am nervous about what to expect. I did not know to ask, but am guessing at my age, the ovaries would be left in place. One is non functioning. Don't know about the other, but I kind of imagine if it wasn't working, I would know it....right? I am so moody....I am hoping getting this "taken care of" will help!

Thanks for reading, I look forward to exploring this site.
Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2006, 09:32 PM

omg have u had some problems!!u will be so much happier when this is done. thats what i am looking forward to. sounds like this is ur last option and u ought to feel like uve made the right decison and u have with all ur problems. at least u have a date. so now u can get all the things done that u need to..take care
Unread 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Angie,
wow you have definitely been through heck and back! I hope you get all your answers here. This site has been great for me! Hugs Raymo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the support! Think I'll really need it as I get closer. One thing I really want/need to ask....after 4 abdominal surgeries, the ONLY worry I have about it is the gas pain a couple of days after the surgery itself. It is VERY intense and painful to me, each time. I have asked the nurses in the hospital in the past and not really gotten a good response. This last time, I tried a heating pad on my abdomen, and it did help some. But for the gas pains...anyone have any ideas? They nearly have me in tears every time! I'll take 24 staples again (first two surgeries) over the gas pains ANYTIME! They're awful....

Thanks
Angie
Unread 03-07-2006, 09:44 PM

I had 2 lap surgeries in the past (one hernia repair and the other my tubal ligation) and both times the worst part for me was the gas. I know that walking helped soooooo much! I am going to bring gas x with me and take that. Hugs Raymo
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:09 PM

Angie,
You poor thing ! You have been through so much. I know this surgery will be the best thing for you. You will be in my prayers.
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:15 PM

I took Gas X to the hosp with me... and the nurse told me that Gas X won't help 'that type of gas'. She said that Gas X takes care of case in the large instestine, and the gas that they use to blow you up isn't located in the large instestine.

I took it when I got home, and it seemed to help, but the biggest helper was walking. I actually could feel gas bubbles under my ribs. One time I felt one go from the front of my ribs, along my side, and sat in the back of my ribs as I was rolling over in bed.

The gas pain ***** for sure... Walk walk walk is the only way I found to help.

Twizz
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks again everyone. Coming to this decision has not been an easy one, but I believe I am feeling more comfortable with it every day.

Twizz...thank you for the input, I too tried Gas X the last time, and it did nothing for me. And just as you described....to move, or stand up, I could just FEEL the gas bubble traveling up as gravity allowed...it really was awful. With my first myo, even to stand, it felt like someone had a knife in my right shoulder. I was not prepared for this at all...I never knew to expect it.

I see you're my age....and my hyst too is planned to be a LAVH.

Thanks,
Angie
Unread 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM

ANGIE, I wish you good luck, and im sorry you are going through alot. I had a hys at age 30, no children, now im 33 one ovary left and doing alot better. Had severe endo take it easy and make sure you have alot of people who will take care of you during that time of your hys.
Unread 03-08-2006, 01:57 AM

Hi Angie! You're going to have a whole new lease on life hon. I'm sorry you're having to go through this, but you've been through ENOUGH. It's time to move forward .

Regarding the gas: My surgeon had me do a bowel prep precisely to help reduce the gas and other miseries of getting the bowel functioning again post-op. I suspect that helped a LOT. Getting moving as soon as possible for very frequent walks--as often as you can possibly tolerate regardless of how brief, even if it's just a walk around your room; Gas-X chewables; "low gas" diet; possibly a small "Fleet" enema (even just part of one small bottle can help); laughing/giggling (the motion helps jiggle things and dislodge air bubbles); even having a loved one do the back patting thing like we do with babies to help them burp can help.

(Can you tell I've had lots of gas troubles in my life? LOL!) I didn't do too badly after this surgery, but there have been lots of other times where I have prayed, "My kingdom for a fart..."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register