New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy

Unread 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy

My doctor told me 3 things help with the gas:
1. bowel prep
2. walking, walking and more walking.
3. chewing gum, but he said make sure you get the kind with sugar in it. :candy: Not sugarless. The sugar activates something in the intestines that moves that gas.
M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM

Something else that helps is not drinking through a straw. Also, drink warmer liquids, and don't have soda for a couple days. The best thing is to move as much as possible, as soon as possible, even if it's just moving your legs in the bed and trying to turn from side to side.

Hope this surgery makes you feel so much better. You have been through so much already.
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the input ladies! Funny....all of the drinks I was ever offered in the hospital had a straw in it...so maybe that was a big part of it! I'll surely ditch the straw!

Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 04:45 PM
just another option

Hi Angie and welcome! It sure sounds like you've been through an awful lot! All the ladies here have great ideas regarding gas. I just want to add one more. When I had my 1st c-section, I was so bloated up with gas people thought I was still pregnant. The only thing that helped me then was a fleet enema. Sooo, with the next c-section, I went and asked the nurses for an enema the second day. They couldn't quite believe their ears and I could just hear them thinking: altered mental status. But, I just wasn't going through the agony of all that gas again. And it helped. Just another option to keep in mind. Take care.
Unread 03-09-2006, 09:38 PM

Hey Angie,

You will find this sight to be the most wonderful place in the world. These ladies are awesome and no matter what they understand...even when your losing your mind like I am right now. I'm 5 days pre surgery and am losing it.
Anyway, you hang in there and just think about the fact you'll be free of the fibroid farm soon enough. Let them critters out.
Good luck and hang in there.
Unread 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Hi. I am 31 yrs old and have just got my hysterectomy date for April 6th..it will be a vaginal if i have anythign to say about it. My ovaries are left in. I have 4 children and have had pain and abnormal bleeding since my tubal. I finally found a dr that listened to me. I have fibroid, jusat one but my mom had just one and left it..she became so bad that she couldnt move off the couch. I have followed my mom in her steps, so when my dr said novasure or hysterectomy, after researching I decided hysterectomy was the way for me. I am scared to death of the surgery itself. I do not want to get as bad as my mom did. I am done having kids so im ready, but scared.
Unread 03-10-2006, 10:53 AM

Kris, I'll be you pretty soon....my 'losing it' won't be from the surgery so much, I'm sure, but having second thoughts about kissing my uterus goodbye. =)

txdaisydee and Kris too- I sure understand the feeling of being scared out of my wits about surgery. When I had my first myomectomy, I was bawling the whole way into the hospital, I was so scared. I'd never been "put to sleep" for anything before this. I have had 4 surgeries now in the past 4 years, with my fifth coming in a little over two weeks. Don't want to say "I got used to it," but really, I guess I have. It doesn't matter how many, I'll probably always be nervous, but I'm not scared of it anymore. The best thing for me is to surround myself with people who really care about me, people I find comfort from. Whether that be here, or friends/family in your life, or both, that's always been what has helped me get through all of this. Keep those people close...

I am feeling a little sad, because my best friend just told me yesterday she will not be there for my surgery. She has to work. I couldn't see going through this without her, but I don't have much choice. Of course my husband will be there, but for my last surgery, my friend was my voice when I couldn't talk. She knows me well enough to "just know" without my saying anything. I find her a huge comfort to me...but she will not be there. I'm feeling sad, but also trying not to feel so selfish. My husband will be there, but I think he's going to need support himself, because he is not 100% with my hyst decision. But he does understand why...he's seen it.

Keep your friends and family close, and if you need the support of someone that particular day, don't be afraid to ask! I'm seeing we're pretty lucky here. We are all going through the same thing in the end...and who better to understand that than others doing the same thing. Hugs to you all, we're all in this together, right??

Angie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register