CT Scan Results | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CT Scan Results CT Scan Results

Unread 03-08-2006, 10:28 AM
CT Scan Results

Can someone take a look at this info and make comments? What is the normal size of a uterus? Can I rely on this radiologist calling the ovarian cyst "simple?" Would a CT show that? What could be causing the enlarged uterus? Would a CT scan show if there was a tumor in the uterus? Thanks for any help and comments!

This study was performed without iodine. Barium was given as the oral contrast agent and no intravenous contrast was given.

FINDINGS: Abdomen, liver, spleen, and pancreas are grossly normal. Adrenal glands and kidneys are grossly normal. No renal obstruction or calculus is present. The abdominal aorta is unremarkable. No bowel distention or obstruction is present. No ventrial hernia is present.

The uterus is mildly enlarged measuring 5.5 cm. in AP diameter x 7 to 8 cm in transverse diameter.

A cyst is present in the left ovary. This measures 3 x 1.8 cm. On CT, this appears simple. No free fluid is present in the pelvis.

IMPRESSION:
1. Uterine enlargement.
2. Cyst, left ovary. Recommend followup ultrasound in a couple months to assess for resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
CT Scan Results

Yes you can diagnose a simple cyst by this because 1)it is relatively small,not considered very enlarged2) because it is fluid fille, no solid material present. The uterine enlargement may need to be discussed with you gyn. It could be related to your cycles if you are premenopausal.
Unread 03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
CT Scan Results

I'm not a medical person, so I would recommend contacting your doctor who ordered this CT. S/he should have a report of it or should be able to see on computer and explain this to you.

My uterus was enlarged, but that was due to two benign fibroids. The recommended ultrasound followup may just be to see if the cyst is still there or if it has ruptured or gone on its own.

The doctor can tell you--but the terms "grossly normal" are good ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Reply to both

Thanks, xrayu!

Margaret - what a coincidence! I'm in Wisconsin too!

OK, I'm going to relax now. I stressed about a pap last week (came back normal) and I'm just not going to worry about these other things. Benign cysts are normal (99% of them are not cancerous...I've been told) and that uterus is so mildly enlarged, it might not even be enlarged! Hopefully the symptoms I'm having are related to the cyst and will go away when the cyst does! (Bloated abdomen, back pain, cramping, left side pain).
Unread 03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Had ultrasound today

Obviously I didn't get the results yet from the pathology report, as the ultrasound was just today. I had an abdominal pelvic ultrasound, and also a transvaginal ultrasound. The technician told me the left ovarian cyst is now gone.

So the only issue left to resolve for me is the mildly enlarged uterus. I do have symptoms ... extremely bad cramping, backache and heavy flow with clots during period .. but no intermittent pain or bleeding, so I'm assuming I will be told I have fibroids and hopefully nothing more serious than that. I am 46 years old and hopefully I can tolerate the symptoms until menopause kicks in and hopefully things improve.

What a roller coaster!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register