Is enema necessary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is enema necessary? Is enema necessary?

Unread 03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Is enema necessary?

I really really really don't want one. If I could just take some phos-stuff or some other type of laxative I'll be ok! My pre-op is today....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Is enema necessary?

Some have an enema, some don't. I had one that was administered at the hospital the day of my surgery. It really wasn't that bad. I prefer it to the other bowel preps. It's all over quickly

Your dr should tell you at pre op today what he/she requires. Best wishes.

S
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Is enema necessary?

Ask your doctor at your pre-op what he recommneds. My personal opinion (since I had abdominal surgery before) is to have some sort of cleanout. Last time I was constipated and had to take all those laxatives and enema's in the hosptial before I could go home. It's not so nice when you've just had surgery.
M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Is enema necessary?

I had a TVH and didn't have to do any kind of bowel prep. I was really dreading that part but sooooo thankful that my doc didnt require one! Good luck!
Unread 03-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Is enema necessary?

The enema is not really so bad I would rather do it than the drinks. Check with Dr. at pre-op everyone had different requirements. Best wishes for you surgery.
Unread 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Is enema necessary?

The enema is necessary if your doc says so....

They actually had me give myself two enemas (and my first-ever douche) the morning of my surgery. Nothing much happened, and I told them so. Didn't seem all that concerned.

I've never had the other bowel preps, but from what I've read here, the enema is a bit easier. However, I would say that no matter which route is taken, the bowel prep is over pretty quickly and isn't too bad. Unpleasant, but not painful.

Hope this info helps.
Unread 03-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Is enema necessary?

I'd recommend some sort of bowel prep, at least. Twice I had hernia surgery, and for that they don't recommend anything to clean out your intestines. This means terrible constipation afterwards from the anesthesia. Most people get constipated no matter what, but having empty intestines to start with would surely lessen the agony after surgery!
Unread 03-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Is enema necessary?

The important thing is that you do exactly what your dr tells you. No more. No less.

I didn't have any kind of bowel prep or enema, and I was fine.

S,
Kay
Unread 03-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Is enema necessary?

Lilbit -
I had my surgery last Friday and was ordered a bowel prep the day before. Believe me - you'd rather have the enema! Thirty minutes before my surgery (22 hours after the bowel prep) I still had really awful diahhrea. Yesterday was actually the first day I was able to keep any solid foods in my system. The enema will be less traumatic to your system and will be over with in no time. I was told it was necessary in case there was any bowel involvement (damage from growths or endo), they would prefer the bowels to be cleaned if they have to work in that area - less likely for infection after surgery if they are empty.
I completely understand your not wanting to have it done - but I'm sure your doctor is ordering it for a reason. Please don't let this worry you.

Mari Luau

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register