Enlarged uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enlarged uterus Enlarged uterus

Unread 03-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Enlarged uterus

I've read other sisters posting about an enlarged uterus and I've been told mine is. But in terms of centimeters, what is considered a normal size for a uterus? Secondly, what causes the enlargement (apart from the obvious ...pregnancy!)

All thoughts welcome please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Enlarged uterus

Hi Lev! I had a TAH on February 27. They called from the doctor's office yesterday to see how I'm doing and told me the volume of my uterus was about 340 cc and a normal uterus is only 85 cc. I had fibroids so I assume that's why it was enlarged.

Bev
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Enlarged uterus

I was told mine was the size of a 10 week old baby.. I've never been pregnant so I'm not sure how big that is. I guess normal weight is about 6 ounces and mine was a pound and a half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Enlarged uterus

My dr says my uterus is the size of 4 mos pregnant. I too have never been pregnant, so I am hoping after surgery, they will give me cm sizes of what it actually was...
Unread 03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Enlarged uterus

I was told mine was 600cc in volume. I did not get a size in cm though. I feel as though I am 3-4 months pregnant.
Christy
Unread 03-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Enlarged uterus

I think this is a question I need to ask either pre-op hospital or pre-op doctor so I have the answer??
Should she know now with the ultrasound results or will the "measure/weigh" after it comes out?
Unread 03-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Enlarged uterus

Hi Lev
I googled for an answer to your question, and here is what I found..

".. A normal uterus is about 8 x 6 x 4 cm and has a volume of 75-200cc. This is about the size of a woman’s fist. It weighs 100-200gms (there are 28 gms in an ounce). - Robert Worthington-Kirsch, M.D."

Interesting isn't it!!

I had an ultrasound done a few weeks ago and my uterus was at least 20cm high (size of a 5 month pregnancy) with a fibroid growth of 12cm across, and the lining of my uterus is 11mm thick!....definately not normal, and definately not pregnant either!

Hope this helps
Sharon (Ozi)
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Enlarged uterus

Question?? W/ a uterus being enlarged and all.....does it make your tummy bigger than normal?? I mean DUH...when your pregnant and all of coarse. If your not and it's enlarged then does it swell up?? sorry if it's a dumb question and all but just wondering?? Barbie
Unread 03-09-2006, 03:21 AM
Enlarged uterus

Hi Tinkerbellbrat
I am kind of fluffy, so looking at me it is a bit harder to tell what is uterus and what is fat, but my tummy area is definately bigger than it has been...I can feel my uterus inside as a hard mass up to just past my belly button when I am laying down and I do still feel its hardness inside when I lean with my stomach against a bench etc...but it does not stick out as far as it did when I was pregnant with my last baby. Others may be different.
Hope this helps
Sharon (Ozi)
Unread 03-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Enlarged uterus

I had an enlarged uterus (slightly) nothing like these other women are talking about, but it was enlarged and when I laid on my back, I could see an unusual hump there... and I could feel it. I actually looked like I was three months pregnant. I think I could only see this because I am somewhat of a thin person and had (at one point) a somewhat flat tummy) So yes, it can be noticeable.

Twiz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register