He took my CERVIX...I just discovered today.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

He took my CERVIX...I just discovered today.... He took my CERVIX...I just discovered today....

Unread 03-09-2006, 10:48 AM
He took my CERVIX...I just discovered today....

Are Dr.'s suppose to tell you if they are going to do this? I have been under the impression all week that I STILL HAD my cervix. I felt inside today during my bath...and it's a jarbled mess off stitches and tissue. I'm devistated.....I might have had time to come to terms with this he he had TOLD ME. Does anyone know if this is the norm?

KC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 10:56 AM

Hi Kcbored,

It sounds like maybe your Dr. discussed with you what type of surgery you were having and did not explain what would happen. I did not see what type of hyst you had in your profile.

There are two types of hysts that keep the cervix: the SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hyterectomy) and the LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyterectomy). Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

If anything, I can suggest you make an appointment with your Dr. and talk to him. Yes - it is post-op surgery and it sounds like you need to vent your feelings about your cervix with your Dr. That being said...you will find many ladies on Hyster Sisters who have had their cervix removed and they are pleased with their surgery results. So, hang in there. Your Dr. may or may not have had a reason to remove it.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:03 AM

I had a LAVH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 11:09 AM

Hi Kcbored,

A LAVH is a Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. Kind of a sister lap to a LSH, which I had. In my book, the LAVH is an excellent surgery type.

You might call your Dr. and discuss ~why~ you were a good candidate for a LAVH. I know for me to keep my cervix I had to have had normal pap smears for years and my cervix had to be sturdy. My sister is getting ready to have a hyst in April for fibroids and she has prolapse. She has gotten 2 opinions and both Drs have advised her to remove her cervix. She is looking at having a LAVH or a TVH. So, each Hyster Sister can be different in diagnosis.

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Sorry the dr didn't discuss how your surgery was to be done. When you have a vaginal hyst the cervix has to come out. Please be careful, you shouldn't be putting anything in your vagina until the stitches are healed. You can get a nasty infection on the cuff. Take care!
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:19 AM

I've read about it being taken or not being taken. It seems like I've read about everything under the sun about hysterectomies. Thanks for your help ladies, I am just upset that he did not talk to me about it.

I really appreciate your kind words.

Unread 03-09-2006, 01:54 PM

i had the same surgery as you and until this monday i didn't know either. I guess I didn't research everything before I had mine done. I just wanted the pain to stop for once. I know that you are upset but just remember doctors are only human most drs have so much going on they do forget every detail unless you ask specfics.
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:11 PM

Hi. I'm sorry that you had more removed than you thought. Thru this experience I have felt very ignorant about how my body works. I went in w/ a list of ?'s to my pre-op visit. So I knew about my cervix coming out. My Dr didn't bring up anything about what he was/wasnot taking out except about my ovaries. Which we discussed but ultimately left up to him (after he could see & examine them).
Unread 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM

Thankfully, I had found this site before my surgery. I hadn't picked up on the cervix removal from the pamphlets I recieved either.

I gleaned that notion from this site, so when I went to my pre op it was one of the questions on my index card. I pretty much knew the answer but I wanted it confirmed.

I couldn't remember him saying anything about the cervix, but I do remember him very patiently waiting for my questions, and asking me more than once if I could think of anything. This all happened during a very stressful time of my life, and I told him I was still processing it, and I was sure to have questions just not yet.

He told me to write them down as they popped in my head and call him. I did, and he called me back in 15 minutes. I still didn't even think about my cervix. I called back with other questions related to the endometrial biopsy I had.

The point I'm trying to make with too many words, is that I don't think he mentioned it, but I can't say for sure.

I know we talked about the procedure right before going into surgery; confirming what was being done ... I don't believe my cervix came up then either.

I have to think that doctor's assume we know vaginal hysterectomies mean losing your cervix to remove stuff. They really should explain the options better.

I won't miss the pap smear, and so far I'm not missing my cervix much either, but I think I would have been very upset to find out after surgery.
Unread 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM

The same thing happened to me. It was so quick, I didn't have time to ask about my cervix. I understand that if you keep your cervix you'll have mini periods. Who wants that?? I haven't seen a drop of blood in months and it is WONDERFUL. Orgasms are stronger and better than ever!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register