Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books?

Unread 03-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Thumbs up - Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? Seen Any Good Movies Read Any Good Books

Since my return from the , I have been catching up on movies and reading alittle. Anyone see any great movies or read any good books. I finally saw Mr and Mrs Smith, really cute. SAW II, great if you like horror and gore! Currently reading Koontz, Life Expectancy, excellent.Anyone remember any of the Ester Williams films. I use to watch them with my grandma. Also going to get Little Woman. I can reserve items at the library, then get someone to pick them up for me. Oh, I also started the Nip Tuck series, pretty interesting. All free from the library! :bedjump:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books?

Before my surgery I made a list of movies I wanted to watch.....

Walk The Line - good
Constant Gardner - didn't make it all the way through
Elizabethtown - good
Rent - enjoyed the music, acting not so much
North Country - good
Yours, Mine and Ours - Not like the original
In Her Shoes - good
An Affair to Remember - the original Excellent

Still have more to go..... will let you know after I watch them....
Unread 03-09-2006, 06:51 PM

I have the new "pride and predjudice" to watch after I get home from the castle. If the older BBC version is at your library definately worth watching! I love anything Jane Austen.

I watched "The Weatherman" the other day, it was good, but odd and a bit crude. Worth watching if you can deal with that stuff. I have "Proof" coming in the mail from blockbuster...looks good I will let you know.

I was thinking, I would love to finish the rest of my "Friends" collection, I have a few seasons and am going to hint around for a couple more, I watch the re-runs, but can't get enough.

For books I have a couple stashed to read, one is "Ahab's Wife"...very, every good! I wish everyone could read it. I borrowed it from my sister a few years ago and wanted to have my own copy.

Betts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 05:08 PM

What is Ahabs wife about? Who wrote it? Saw the newer version of Little Woman today. Excellent , made me cry. Take care princesses!
Unread 03-11-2006, 05:40 AM

Ahab's Wife was written by Sena Jeter Naslund

The back says:

From the opening line-"Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last"-you will know that you are in the hands of a master storyteller and in the company of a fascinating woman hero. Inspired by a brief passage in "Moby ****", Sena Jeter Naslund has created an enthralling and compellingly readable saga, spanning a rich, eventful, and dramatic life. At once a family drama, a romantic adventure, and a portrait of a real and loving marriage, Ahab's Wife gives a new persepective of the American experiance.

You know how the backs of books are... Basically it follows this woman through her life, I can not really explain it fairly, it is just so heartfelt.

Hope that helps!

I love the new version of Little Women, even if it is a little self-serving. We own a copy, my preteen and teen girls love it too.
Betts
Unread 03-11-2006, 06:30 AM

I am reading Small Island by Andrea Levy.
I am only about third through and don't get much time now I'm back at work! But I love it. It's set in post war London following the lives of a Jamaican couple who have settled there in hope of a better life.

Another really good read is The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill. It is a crime novel set in a small English town. Very absorbing who dun it type of story but well written, you really feel you know the characters.
Unread 03-11-2006, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the ideas - on my to do list for today is going to the library for reading material. Running with Scissors is very good (book). I have Ice Harvest and with my Netflix membership am watching all seasons of 24. I have Several books written by Dalai Lama to read while I convalesce as well . . .
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksw
Since my return from the , I have been catching up on movies and reading alittle. Anyone see any great movies or read any good books. I finally saw Mr and Mrs Smith, really cute. SAW II, great if you like horror and gore! Currently reading Koontz, Life Expectancy, excellent.Anyone remember any of the Ester Williams films. I use to watch them with my grandma. Also going to get Little Woman. I can reserve items at the library, then get someone to pick them up for me. Oh, I also started the Nip Tuck series, pretty interesting. All free from the library! ::
==============================================

I just finished rereading Margy Piercy's _The Longings of Women_ and have started _The Story of Pi_.

I love the old Esther Williams's films, and hear that a few years ago she wrote a rather spicey autobiography (or was it a biography that was written about her.

Thank you for remembering libraries!
-- Marian
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:29 AM

Out on video
Just Like Heaven - Reese Witherspoon/Mark Ruffalo
The Skeleton Key - Kate Hudson
Pride & Predjudice - Keira Knightley/Matthew MacFayden/Judi Dench
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire - Daniel Radcliff/Emma Watson/Rupert Grint

At the movies [that I've seen]
Failure to Launch - Matthew McConaughey/Sara Jessica Parker
Brokeback Mountain - Heath Ledger/Jake Gyllenhaal
The Chronicals of Narnia / the Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe - Tilda Swinton /James McAvoy/Georgie Henley/William Moseley
The Pink Panther - Steve Martin/Kevin Kline/Beyonce'/Jean Reno

IMHO Total Wastes of Time
Date Movie - Adam Campbell/Jennifer Coolidge/Tony Cox
Unread 03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Thumbs up - Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books?

Can recommend watching both Cinema Paradiso and The Chorus on DVD. Cinema Pardiso is set in Italy and is a love story where a young boy falls in love with Cinema and a girl from his home town. Woth coping with the subtitles.

For music lovers The Chorus is also worth watching. A Music Teacher goes to a school (for wayward boys) in France- approx 1940's and teaches the boys to sing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register