Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books?

Unread 04-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books?

My daughter & I watched the first season of Gray's Anatomy on DVD during spring break. It was great fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Smile - Seen Any Good Movies or Read Any Good Books? Some good books & movies to pass the time..

One thing I have really been enjoying the past two weeks is catching up on reading and movie watching. Two things I love, but never have enough time for normally.
Best book I've read in a long time:
"The Time Traveler's Wife"
I love mystery movies, especially English ones. Before I went in for surgury I ordered a bunch of movies online. It was nice to know I had movies at home waiting for me. I've watched & can recommend: "Agatha Christie's Miss Marple" - BBC productions with Joan Hickson (the best Miss Marple, I think), "Saving Grace", "The Man Who Never Was", "How to Love in a Cold Climate" to name a few!
Unread 04-02-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts
Oh, I definately agree about King Kong, watched it the other day, the intense scenes went on forever, it was a beautifully made movie but too many things ruined it for me. I was hoping it would be a good one for the family but the giant bugs and other stuff made it too much of a nightmare inducer for the younger ones.

I am sure all of you have seen it already, but I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" yesterday, I just love that corny, but really funny movie.

Betts
The scenes witn the giant creepycrawlies are pretty intense in the original, but at least they are short.

I really loved _My Big Fat Greek Wedding_. Reminded me of when my cuz married a fellow of Moroccan descent, and her mom said she would have to hire a hall to invite them all over.

By the way, I did get to a part in _Fingersmith_ that even made me blush! But if the whole genre of Victorian shock literature is onions, the author sure knows hers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 08:23 PM

I just finished "The Other Boleyn Sister" (not sure about that spelling)...about Anne Boleyn's sister Mary, and her relationship with King Henry. Parts of this are beautifully written...I would recommend it if you like period pieces.
Unread 04-08-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2
I just finished "The Other Boleyn Sister" (not sure about that spelling)...about Anne Boleyn's sister Mary, and her relationship with King Henry. Parts of this are beautifully written...I would recommend it if you like period pieces.
I dunno, I didn't like it.

To much playing around with history, IMHO, and I'm usually quite tolerant about that kind of thing.
Unread 04-08-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Saw a great movie I recieved from library. Something The Lord Made. True story set in forties about the doctor and his assistant whom did the first cardiac surgury to keep "blue babies" alive. Takes place at the John Hopkins Hospital. Alan Rickman is Dr. Blalock. Mos Def is the tech Vivian Thomas. Movie aslo deals with segregation at that time. This movie was really fascinating. If anyone is in the medical profession , a must see!
I work in pediatric cardiology, and have always been fascinated by Helen Taussig's story. I had the opportunity to spend a bit of time with her former assistant, and her contributions did get overshadowed by Alfred Blalock's, in part because she was female, deaf AND Jewish -- a real triple whammy at any time, but especially so in those days, just as Vivian Thomas had to cope with the racism so prevalent.

They still perform Blalock-Taussig shunts today; in children with complex heart disease, it's often the first surgery that is performed in a series of three or four palliative surgeries that enable these children to survive and grow. They were WAY ahead of their time!

And the acting in that movie, particularly on the part of Mos Def, was wonderful...

We tend to rent movies and never actually get through them . I started to watch "Under the Tuscan Sun" when my DD was in the hospital recently, but was too tired and stressed to concentrate; it's on my "To-Watch" list!

Audrey
Unread 04-09-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey S.
I work in pediatric cardiology, and have always been fascinated by Helen Taussig's story. I had the opportunity to spend a bit of time with her former assistant, and her contributions did get overshadowed by Alfred Blalock's, in part because she was female, deaf AND Jewish -- a real triple whammy at any time, but especially so in those days, just as Vivian Thomas had to cope with the racism so prevalent.

They still perform Blalock-Taussig shunts today; in children with complex heart disease, it's often the first surgery that is performed in a series of three or four palliative surgeries that enable these children to survive and grow. They were WAY ahead of their time!

Audrey
Audrey -

My mother apparently met her in 1950. Dr. Taussig was visiting New York, and my mother had recently given birth to a blue baby. Dr. Taussig examined him, and promised to operate on him herself, if he made it to his fourth birthday.

Alas, the older brother I never knew died before his 1st, but my mother often told about her meeting with the doctor.

Dr. Taussig was one of the most deserving receipients of the Medal of Freedom.

By the way, how are your Passover preparations going?
Unread 04-09-2006, 05:35 AM

I did wonder how accurate it was (The Other Boleyn Sister)...but my memory of history is marginal at best (actually, my memory of everything is marginal at best ), so I was able to enjoy it anyway. Your taste may not run to fiction...but another book I really enjoyed was "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel"...it's about a couple of magicians back in Victorian times. The footnotes will make you keel over at first sight...but they actually add significant depth to the book. The story catches you up in a way that it's more like experiencing it with the characters, than reading about them. Anyway, another unique work....and long enough to see you through the longest recovery
Unread 04-09-2006, 05:49 AM

I enjoyed The Other Bolyn Sister too.
From somewhere in the depths of my memory I seem to recall that Henry did have a relationship with her, possibly with children involved. How much it is stretched for the novel I'm not sure.

I have finally finished Small Island by Andrea Levy. Not so much time now back into real ilfe again! I thoroughly enjoyed it- it's one of those novels written in the first person but from different characters and at different times- the present is post war London, it goes back to the past too.

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel- I shall have to try that one, at the moment I have three others lined up by the bed. I need a holiday to catch up on reading!!!
Unread 04-09-2006, 06:21 AM

I almost need a holiday from reading at this point. But then what shall I do with myself...dishes? Cleaning? Hmmm....where is that other book I had....???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register