Medication to empty bowel | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Medication to empty bowel Medication to empty bowel

Unread 03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Medication to empty bowel

As I've only been in the US just over a year (originally from UK) I'm a little lost on what medications do what, so hoped some sisters could advise.

If the doctors do not want to perform any bowel prep before my surgery, what medications (brand name required please)would you recommend I self-administer (if any) to ensure I have as empty a bowel as possible before surgery? I plan to eat heartily 2 days before, then just light the day before.

Any help would be welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Hi Lev,

Very good question.

IF the Dr orders any kind of bowel prep, he will tell you exactly what he wants you to use, where to get it, and how and when to use it.

It is extremely important that you only use what your Dr orders, if he orders anything.

Some women have had their surgeries postponed because when they arrived at the castle they had used bowel preps which put their electrolytes out of balance.

S,
Kay
Unread 03-10-2006, 01:10 PM

Yes, don't take anything like that unless your doctor tells you too. I can't even imagine wanting to do a bowel prep on my own, not the most fun experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM

My doctor told me the brand name he wanted me to use and to get "stool softeners" for after surgery. I went to the drug store and the pharmacist found every thing that I needed. Good luck......French
Unread 03-10-2006, 01:30 PM

My Dr. office sent my pre op and post op orders via mail, with the name of the bowel prep and my orders for eating the day before, only clear liquids the day before surgery. Every doc is different, some like you to do the enema, some like the mag citrate, some do an enema at the castle.

All the ladies are right, talk to your dr. before you put yourself through a bowel prep unnecessarily.

Good luck
T
Unread 03-10-2006, 02:11 PM

I did not have a bowel prep, nor was I on a restricted diet, before my hyst. My only order was no food or drink after midnight the night before.

Please ask your dr for your specific instructions and follow his orders to the letter.
Unread 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM

With my last myo the dr. gave me a prescription for a "kit" to pick up. It consisted of pills, something I had to drink, and an enema. I would guess that they will give you the instructions at your pre-op appt.

Angie
Unread 03-10-2006, 02:32 PM

My GYN sent specific instructions noting dietary intake pre-op (clear liquids only) and exactly what to purchase for the bowel prep. This will be the first time I've had to do a bowel prep for surgery but understand it's far from a pleasure cruise. Checking with the doc's the way to go. No need to suffer needlessly, eh?

One further note . . . it's much kinder to the liver not to "pig out" several days prior to surgery. Easily digestable, low-fat foods will lead to less gas post-op and makes things just a tad easier.
Unread 03-10-2006, 02:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I'll sit tight and see what the doc says when I get to the pre-op
Unread 03-10-2006, 03:53 PM
You may want to see if glycerine suppositories may be an option for you.

I agree with the other posters about not doing a bowel prep unless your dr. tells you it's ok to do. One woman on here ended up in ICU because she did a bowel prep and I don't know what the outcome was. I did however ask my dr. if I could use a glycerin suppository the night before my surgery and he said yes. I had a normal diet but did eat light pasta and a little bread so I wouldn't feel to full the night before surgery. I did also drink Gatorade to keep my electrolytes ok. With a glycerin suppository or even a liquid one (sort of like a mini enema) it empties whatever is in the bottom of the rectum. I'd check with your dr. if you can use that if you have a trouble with constipation. When I arrived in my room after surgery I had asked the nurse if she could give me stool softeners and when I got home and had my first BM about three days after surgery it was not bad at all. I didn't have any trouble because of the stool softeners (not laxatives) helped to keep me from being stopped up. Hope this helps you out. There isn't any drug in the glycerin suppository and it is safe enough to give to newborns as I was told by our pediatrician. It won't hurt to ask to see if you can have a glycerin suppository or liquid glycerin suppository the night before surgery.

I was glad that I did and didn't have any stool in there at the end of the rectum so I was comfortable. I also have to add that I was currently taking vicodin because I had terrible cramps with Aunt Flo who showed up a few days before my hysterectomy. My dr. recommended surgery during the first two weeks of Aunt Flo because he said recovery was better that way. I don't know how he came to that conclusion but maybe his patients had a say in them. As for the cervix issue try not to stress over it. It's only about the size of a coat button or so I read on here about it and if you want to consult with a urologist beforehand to see if it may provide pelvic support it may help you decide. For me since I had a pre-op possible diagnosis of adenomyosis (endometriosis in the uterine muscle) I had a TVH and didn't have to have any outside cuts. With keeping the cervix the patient will most likely have an SAH where they cut the abdomen open or an LSH laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy using the laparoscope. When I laparoscope is used the only choice for anesthesia is general since the gas that is used to inflate the belly is not able to be reached as high as the chest.

I did have general anesthesia with my neck surgery three years after my TVH and I was worried about post op nausea and vomiting because of my previous experience of vomiting after a laparoscopy for endometriosis and found out that because they gave me the anti-nausea meds it really helped. I woke up completely nausea free but was in a lot of pain and it took the nurses to get my pain under control with the morphine. I was supposed to get a pain pump but they said that shots every 3 hours would be better and would last longer. Remember this was for a herniated disc removal not a hysterectomy so my recovery from that was totally different. I had screws, a cage, and a plate inside my neck. The only drawback to having morphine was that it didn't take my pain entirely away and they said it wouldn't. I also was dependent on the Duragesic (fentanyl) patch sort of like a morphine patch so the post op morphine had to be at a higher dose than normal and I had to be given oxygen by nasal cannula because it did mess with m oxygen levels. Good luck to you and I hope that you go in feeling comfortable.

With the liquid glycerine suppositories they usually come four in a box. With the regular glycerine suppositories they can have as many as 50 in a jar. It can take 15-20 minutes to work for the regular ones and about 2 minutes for the liquid ones to work. I prefer the liquid ones over the regular ones if I don't have time to lay on my side while the regular ones are working. But don't forget to ask your dr's office to see if it's ok. My G.I. dr. told me that it just empties out whatever is at the bottom of the rectum so it's not a full bowel cleansing. s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register