Bowel prep, anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep, anyone? Bowel prep, anyone?

Unread 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Bowel prep, anyone? Get yours while they last!

Never having done a bowel prep, I'm not really sure what to expect and was hoping someone could enlighten me? My orders came yesterday, and I'm getting myself all organized. I'll be taking 30cc's Fleet Phospho-Soda at 8:00 am and again at 4:00 pm while drinking only clear liquids all day the day before surgery. It's so good to have something for which to look forward. LOL! So, what should I expect? Should I strap myself to the porcelin goddess that day with one of those over-the-bed tables for my laptop computer and unending glass of clear liquids?

Maxine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

hey maxine, at least you haven't lost your sense of humor. when i was doing the bowel prep i asked the sisters for wisdom, why did the castle keepers leave this job for amateurs?!!!

good luck, and remember, this too shall pass...and quickly. one sister recommended prep h before the fireworks...God bless her, it was a good idea that i never thought of.

i hope all goes well for you and you have a speedy recovery, and not loose your sense of humor!!

peace
Unread 03-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I had orders to do my douche and bowel prep at 8pm, the night before a 7:30 am surgery. I did a liquid diet that day, because I didn't see the point of eating a bunch of food only to make 20 trips to the bathroom after the bowel prep
...but check with your doctor. I had an LSH and was in surgery less than an hour. If you need a longer surgery, they don't like you to be dehydrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I had my prep on a Sunday and luckily decided to skip church as I was unsure how my body would react. Just make sure you stay close to the bathroom. I wouldn't go for long drives, that's for sure!

Also, make sure your family eats away from home. (and you stay home) Food starts to look and smell pretty good when you can't eat!

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Boy, are you in for a treat, I've done the dreaded prep a total of 3 times and it just doesn't get any better. Though I think I prefer the soda to the powder mix in the gallon jug!

Seriously, Prep H is a good plan as are some of those moist wipes like the ones from Cottonelle or one of the feminine products, I've even used baby wipes. I think Gatorade is a good idea too for keeping hydrated if you can stand the taste of it.

... and don't forget to have some magazines or a good book handy. If you're reading material is on newsprint, you could always use it if the t.p. runs out ;-)

Good luck!
Unread 03-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I get to do a liquid diet for 48 hrs before surgery on Monday (March 13th). Sunday I have the enjoyment of doing a phospho-soda at 11 and again at 3 just incase the first was cleansing enough. I am not attending church and I was told to keep the path to the bathroom clear.
Unread 03-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Definately stay close to the bathroom! I had to do a clear liquid diet the day BEFORE my prep, as well as that day!The phospho-soda goes down easier if you mix it with sprite... my instructions on the phospho told me that! I also had to take laxatives, antibiotics and use a suppository the morning of surgery. I had 3 glasses of phospho within 20 minutes at 1pm and was on the potty from about 1:45 on! Even that night I was having issues. Stay put! Have some magazines in the bathroom too... Good Luck!
Unread 03-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

What to expect? I couldnt' hardly stand the phospho soda stuff....mine came in a little plastic flask, and had to drink it. I had to choke it down...it didn't taste very good. Very salty-like. For me, it worked in MINUTES (I think the thing said an hour) and yeah, there were a lot of trips to the bathroom...starting almost instantly. Really though, it wasn't as bad as I thought...I thought I'd be up all night on the pot or something, I took it about 8, and think the worst of it went through about an hour's time. After that, I slept all night, and had no issues afterward. It really wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Angie
Unread 03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Dear maxine,
I just had to do another bowel prep myself this past Monday for my diagnostic lap. It was not as bad as I remember the one for my hysterectomy being. I did do as another sister suggested and mixed the phosphosoda with Sprite... it is very salty. I also had to take a laxative the afternoon and night before this past surgery. I must say it came fast and furious for about an hour but after that I slept like a baby. The worst part was not being able to eat that night so I sent dh and ds out. Good luck. Take care. And do get some good reads and baby wipes...flushable, of course!...Tami S. in Florida
Unread 03-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I had to do two small bottles - one at noon and one at 7PM with only clear liquid diet after that. Stuff is salty and tastes nasty. I did mine in apple juice not sure if it helped the taste. Second bottle is the hardest because you know what to expect. I was almost in tears because I couldn't get it all down. I did not drink the last two mouthfuls but at that point I was pretty clean anyway.

After first bottle, you will go within the hour and then a few times after. I didn't find myself constantly in the bathroom but Prep H wipes and some vaseline are good to have on hand because you do get sore after awhile. I was pretty clean by second bottle but still went but did get sleep that night before.

Funny thing, I was a total nervous wreck for weeks before and that night despite the prep etc, a peace came over me and I actually slept some. I guess it was because I knew it would be over soon.

I'm doing well now - just past two weeks and although still sore and tired at times feel good.

The prep tastes bad and to me it was probably the worst part of the whole thing beside the anticipation!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register