Bowel prep, anyone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep, anyone? Bowel prep, anyone?

Unread 03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

My doc told me to take magnesium citrate at about 4pm Monday. Not sure what on earth this stuff tastes like but SIL said she had the fleet phosphasoda stuff and she said to mix it with sprite then chase it down with tons of water. Great cocktail huh? I'm on a light diet Sunday, a clear liquid died on Monday with cocktail time at 4pm. Yummy!! She said I should have finished my waltz with my porcelin dancing partner by bedtime and I should have a good night sleep. Not sure if I believe her but I'm praying she's right.
I've come to the conclusion that becoming a princess is a interesting process but hey, atleast we can all sit back and laugh about it with our tummy pillows firmly grasped.
Bottoms up....no pun intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Hi there.
I only had to do one bottle of phospho. I mixed it with a Crystal Lite singles (lemonade) package and chased it with a can of GingerAle.
Was in the bathroom for a couple hours, after that it was a lot of gas.
Like the others, I had babywipes and a little pentaten cream for the butt.
I also put a little foot stool in the bathroom...I sure hate it when my foot falls asleep while I am sitting, thinking ,doing crossword puzzles...

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and recovery,
Autumn
Unread 03-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Great responses! I'll be mixing my cocktail with water. And now that I've read the responses, I'm adding prep-H, baby wipes, and a good read to my bag of pre-op goodies. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to reply, as I feel I have a much better idea of what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I am so not looking forward to the prep part. Hubby and I both have frequent visits to the porcelain room due to small bladders and lots of water so this will be interesting trying to share our one bathroom. Good tips though that I'd never heard of the first few times I had to do one so I'll be adding stuff to my pre-op list of stuff to buy.
Unread 03-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Uh, oh, now I'm worried. My surgery is on a Friday (11 am, although the hospital may change that), and the 2 days before the surgery I'll be giving talks at a conference, and also giving a job talk. And flying back and forth over the country, back at 11 pm the night before surgery. Hmm. It didn't occur to me that I might be pooping during all this. Well, that's one way to impress potential employers! Seriously, are there any bowel preps that you can do the 12 hours before surgery, once I'm home? Running back and forth to the tiny airplane bathroom sounds pretty yukky.
Unread 03-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Tiva: You definitely need to check with your doctor on that one. There is NO way I'd want to be on a plane after drinking that stuff. What if someone was in there already? You'd never make it. Good friends that went before me told me to plan to be off from work the day before so when I had to do the prep I didn't have to worry about running to the bathroom and they were SO right!!!
Unread 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Thanks! Reading this thread made me realize I really need to talk to the surgeon or his nurse before these plane tickets get paid for Monday morning. Too bad no one is around on Saturdays...
Unread 03-11-2006, 01:43 PM
My bowel prep recipe/reasons for bowel prep

Before I go into it: the reason for the bowel prep is: A prepped bowel is less apt to get in the way during surgery because it is less "bulky" when empty AND
if by some unfortunate chance the bowel gets "nicked" during surgery there is less chance of infection.

My prep: 2 nights before surgery (Sat for me) 2 Dulcolax pills by mouth.

Day before surgery: 10 oz Citrate of Magnesia-lemon flavor-over several hours.
Clear liquid diet

Flagyl 500 mgm twice that day.

Fleet enema in evening and Fleet enema before going to hosp.

Don't worry about getting dehydrated; when they start the IV you get hydrated pretty fast.
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I just did the two flask today. The first was dreadful and I cried at the thought of drinking the second. I tried and failed miserably at masking the salt water with apple juice for the second. So here it is 7 hours after the second and I am still rumbling. I hope it ends soon.
My advice to anyone about to do a bowel prep is to have the day off and preferably to yourself. My parents have the kids.
Unread 03-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Well, I just recently went through this (almost two weeks ago) and boy, there is nothing in the world that can brace you for the taste.

There are some tips on the phosphosoda website http://www.phosphosoda.com

They say there are ways to mask the taste of the fluid, but nothing gets rid of that nasty salty soap slightly thick fluid. I found it was better with cold water over any lemon flavoured fluid mix, and plugging your nose wont help either. I wish they had of given me the option of doing a regular fleet enema.

It hit me within half an hour the first time, 15 minutes the second dose. You'll probably want to buy some baby wipes and put them in the fridge and just grab them on the way to the bathroom. I really wish I had of thought of this, because toilet paper just rubs you right raw.

The worst part is the first two - three hours once it's become effective and then it seemed to trickle off from there.

I had to take 2 45ml oral fleets, once in the morning and once in the evening before my surgery. Clear fluids for 24 hours prior to surgery, nothing after midnight.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register