Bowel prep, anyone? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep, anyone? Bowel prep, anyone?

Unread 03-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Bowel prep, anyone?

I went through this a couple of weeks ago as well and was just as curious/anxious about what would happen. I started my prep at 10:30 am - 10oz of Magnesium Citriate (chased with 8 ounces of water). It became effective about an hour after I started drinking. The next morning - 45 minutes before surgery - I was still having issues! Once I was out of surgery - I was unable to eat solids without having diahhrea for almost 10 days. I think it was residual from the magnesium in my system.

Stay close to the bathroom and don't ignore the urge when it comes! Baby wipes and a novel were my best friends that day.

Good luck with this and with the surgery!

Mari Luau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Ok, bowel prep bites. My tush is so sore. Sorry for being a bit graphic but ouch! Doc changed her mind and decided I had to start it at 1pm. I'm thinking no problem. So 1pm comes and its cocktail time. Oh joy. 10oz lemon magnesium citrate and 2 diet sprites later I'm finally done drinking. It does work to mix it half and half with the sprite. Doesn't kill the nasty taste totally but enough to get it down. So anyway, I'm sitting on the couch talking with MIL and its about an hour later. I'm wondering quietly to myself "I wonder how long this stuff takes to work". I don't think I even got the word "work" before I was running, yes running, down the hall to the bathroom. Guess I answered my own question. Oh my goodness, its been 3 hours and I've danced with my porcelin dance partner more times then I can count. Now the question is when does it stop. LOL! I've told everyone in my house that they better not get between me and a bathroom or I will run them over. The awful part is I'm so darn hungry right now. This whole liquid diet thing is torture. One can only eat so much jello before you want to toss your cookies. And broth isn't the tastiest stuff in the world. I'm basically living off lemon popsicles. Oh yum. My daughter, being her kind loving 15 year old self, decided to walk up to me eating a strawberry and commenting on how good it was. I could have killed her (not literally of course) with my bare hands if I wasn't running to the bathroom at the time. She thought it amusing, I didn't. So here I am, trapped in my house causing a wear mark in my carpet leading to the bathroom wondering if this is really worth it and then a big WELL DUH hits me in the back of the head. So I guess I can deal with my marathon race to the toilet all the while I remember that tomorrow I'll be evicting Aunt Flo and never allowing her to visit again. Unfortunately she's trying to move in right now so thats just adding to my misery....and she brought her friend the migraine with her. She never forgets that ya know.
To all my friends who are doing the toilet hustle with me, hang in there ladies. Atleast theres a light at the end of the tunnel...and it includes serious pain meds.
See you on the other side ladies.
Unread 03-13-2006, 04:55 PM
phospho soda best very cold

I was told to put the phospho soda mix in the refrigerator after mixing it with very cold water. It goes down much easier when very cold. I didn't mind. I had no action for 90 minutes, but that's the exception, I think. It kept me busy but I didn't find it difficult or painful.

Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

??????

Hi All,

Just one more little question? I am scheduled for Thursday a.m. surgery and do not see my doc until the day b4 at 3 p.m. sooo? doesn't seem to be enough time for all this bowel prep? Do some docs do it differently? Thanks Friends
Unread 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Just a quick question is bowl prep required for a hyst my preop is on the 21sy of this month.
Unread 03-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Oooh yeah that was fun.

My bowel prep lasted for a week! Serious... I was given a list of foods I could and couldn't eat for 4 days before my surgery by the Gynae admissison clerk. So, when the anaethetist asked me when I last ate I said "Sunday" (my op was on the Friday) - he looked at me oddly to say the least. Not wanting to take any more of the bowel prep than absolutely, I followed the excrutiating diet plan of basically only clear liquids and no solid food.

Luckily, I was admitted to hospital the day before my op because of the bowel prep.

First thing I did was locate my bed, then the loo. But then discovered there was a patient loo right outside the TV Room.

That was the best option, I could watch TV, not disturb my room mates with my constant trips and then only had a very short walk when I needed it desperately.....and I did.

Another couple of things that helped me:

If you don't have to wear panties then don't! It takes too long to get them up and down when you need to go

Make sure before you have a final drink of water or a cup of black tea before your last dose so you don't get dehydrated (again I was lucky and in hospital on a drip).

The reason for a bowel prep is
a) certain foods take a long time to digest and therefore get rid of and your bowel needs to be as clean as the day you were born so
b) if your bowel gets nicked during surgery (especially important when you have endo) you don't get peritonitis and ........ well it's worth taking to avoid the risk of anything untoward happening.

And to this day, I still can't bring myself to eat carrots again because I found out how long they take to digest!
Unread 03-18-2006, 10:23 AM
bowel prep fun

My first preop prep for my TAH had to be done after a urology consult so I started it about 3pm - Fleet soda mixed with cold sprite. I drank another glass of water after to rinse out the taste and kept a sports drink handy. Within the hour I was making many trips to the bathroom. The first two hours were the worst. And yes, the smell of family making and eating dinner were rough, when I had my jello and clear liquids! My final trip was at 11:30 pm and I was too tired to drink much after. I was awake, hungry and gassy during the night.

Well, that was my practise run! Surgery was cancelled while I was in the waiting room. The next time I started the prep earlier - 12:30 and it was all done by 10pm so I managed to get some calories in and slept better. My times might be longer than some because I was taking codeine (constipating!) for pain before surgery. But I followed other sisters guidelines of "easy-to-digest" food two days before, and only clear fluids on prep day and I didn't feel too bad or get dehydrated. My veins are a hard poke at the best of times and not good when cold in a skimpy gown! They got it on the first try! So, good luck all you sisters in waiting. And keep your cordless in the bathroom - our hospital calls with surgery time at 5pm the night before surgery; both times I was in the bathroom!
Kendo
Unread 03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Okay call me wierd but I really didn't think the taste was all that bad. I mixed it with about 4 oz. of water (didn't want to make it more than I had to) and it went down fine! I just thought of it as drinking really salty fries! lol you are right in taking the second one in the afternoon so that you get sleep that night. That's what I did with the advice from a friend. She had taken it later in the evening and was up all night. I loved the results of it! I felt refreshed knowing all that gunk was out of me! I personally want to go get some of it and do it about every six months! Okay.... like I said.... call me wierd! But again, like everyone else has said.... don't go too far from the bathroom and don't put off when you feel like you have to go because you really do and fast! My husband would yell to my dog "look out Hobie!!! she's gonna blow!" lol
Unread 03-18-2006, 12:14 PM
No bowel prep concerns

Hi everyone -

I had my pre-op this past weds for surgery scheduled this Tues. (complete abdominal hyst). My surgeon said she does not require a bowel prep. I asked why, not that I WANT one, for goodness sake! She said there was no proof that an empty bowel returns to normal bowel function any quicker than if prepped or not. She did NOT mention about what if she knicked the bowel during surgery, as what so many sisters here have said this is the reason their doctors require a bowel prep. I did not think to ask that until after I got home. My surgeon did say that she's concerned with dehydration after a bowel prep and that since SHE doesn't feel a prep is necessary, having one would just add more stress and anguish for the patient. She added that her colleague DOES require a bowel prep for all of her patients, regardless of what type of surgery it its. My dr. said she does not see the need. I don't know what to think.

After meeting with her, I then went to the surgical department and met with the pre-op nurse who talked to me for an HOUR. She even said she knew my doctor does not do a bowel prep and told me to take advantage of that and eat right up until midnight to maintain a stable blood sugar level as long as possible. I am to have nothing to eat or drink after midnight, surgery is at 10:30am.

I read the posts on here and see what so many ladies have to do for prep that it makes me nervous that I don't. I don't plan on going hog-wild the day before. I actually bought lots of Jello to make and figured I'd eat light and drink lots of water - not that it's the same thing as cleansing the bowel, but gee, common sense tells me it isn't to good to go into a major surgery with a full bowel. I was informed that stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia and chewing gum will be pushed post-op.

ARRRRGGHHH! <--that seems to be my word of choice lately...may be I should just forget the whole thing and be a pirate.

Any advice fellow Sisters?
Unread 03-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

NellieNel--I share your concerns! My surgeon also doesn't require a bowel prep (my pre-op is next Tuesday, so I haven't asked him exactly why yet). My understanding from searching the medical journals is that bowel prep is often recommended for 2 reasons: to reduce the risk of infection, and to reduce the pain of constipation after surgery.

For the infection issue, antiobiotic prophylaxis is now standard for gyn surgery--which means before surgery, we get antiobiotics in our IVs. This radically reduces the risk that any bacteria from a nicked intestine could cause a horrible infection, so even for some bowel surgery now, they don't do a bowel prep.

The other issue seems a little more complicated. Twice recently I've had hernia surgery, and they didn't do any bowel prep except have me take a stool softener. But the morning of surgery, without coffee and with all the rushing off to the hospital at 5 am, there was NO way my body was going to cooperate with a normal BM. This meant I went into surgery constipated, and dealing with that after surgery and morphine and all the rest was truely miserable both times. So I talked to my doctor's nurse about this and she said it was fine to take milk of magnesia or a bottle of magnesium citrate the day before to reduce the chance I'll go in with constipation. I still need to check on all the gory details, but this is kind of a compromise--I won't be completely cleaned out head to toe, but at least I won't be feeling all constipated even before the surgery.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register