Bowel prep, anyone? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep, anyone? Bowel prep, anyone?

Unread 03-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Thank you, Tiva -
I feel much better after reading your post! Yes, my surgeon did say I'd be getting Flagyl via my IV just before going into surgery. I looked at her in horror as I've taken Flagyl orally before and had a horrible time with it. She explained that because it will be intravenously rather than orally, it bypasses the gut, no nausea as a result.

I too had hernia surgery - and like you, no bowel prep, IV antibiotic preop and that was it. No antibiotic postop. I was told for the hysterectomy there would be no antibiotic postop either - that the Flagyl will be enough.

All the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Hi NellieNel

If you're able to and want some more reassurance give your surgeon or pre-op nurse a call again.

I have to say I'm gobsmacked by the fact you won't get post-op antibiotics. But as for Flagyl, I'm lucky enough to be allergic to it, so didn't have to have that particular drug but did have other post-op antibiotics, which I'm glad for now because I ended up with a minor infection to my wound when my stitches came out.

As for the bowel prep, I certainly can't say I enjoyed the week long experience, sitting on the loo for almost 12 hours or the taste of the actual drink, but I'm glad I did it and didn't suffer the pain of constipation post-op.

Please don't become a pirate! It is all worth it in the end - your life will be much improved. It really is short term pain for long term gain.

I'm 7 weeks post-op now and it's so nice to never have another period - it feels quite liberating and my DH says they even managed to remove my grumpy chip

Take care and remember ask the surgeon more questions if you're not happy with what you're being told - it's your recovery afterall.

Unread 03-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Bowel prep, anyone?

Hi Kia Ora -

OK - I'll hold off on the sending out the pirate resume for now. Can't be a pirate here in Maine anyway 'cause the parka, mittens and boots would be a hinderance - maybe in the summer, though.

It's nice to read you are doing well 7 weeks postop - congratulations on your new life! I can't wait to be in that place!

I asked twice about postop antibiotics - and the surgeon said they were "not needed". I never had them after my umbilical hernia repair surgery either. Go figure. I will ask again when I go in for the surgery. Yes, you are lucky to be allergic to the evil Flagyl! Nasty stuff.

So I guess it's just hope and pray that what my surgeon said has worked for all her patient's postop for works for me regarding the constipation issues. Milk of Magnesia, stool softeners and chewing gum - can't think of a better meal.

Oh, I am also going to ask the surgeon if she too can rid me of my "grumpy chip".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register