Recovery time laparoscopic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time laparoscopic Recovery time laparoscopic

Unread 03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Recovery time laparoscopic

I've learned so much on this site - got many answers and thought of lots of new questions for my doctor. Thank you all.

Still, I'm a little worried. I'm having a laprascopic hysterectomy next month (leaving ovaries - havn't asked about the cervix yet). My doctor said it's possible that I could have the surgery on a Monday, have the post-op visit on Thursday and possibly return to work the next Monday. I'm a high school teacher, so I can definately take it easy on physical activity when I return to work. But is this realistic? None of the posts I've read here show that kind of time frame for recovery, but I have a great doctor, so I haven't doubted him until reading here.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 04:15 PM

I go in tomorrow for my LAVH. I am taking the first week completely off work and will work from home the second week but as soon as I get the OK to drive after 2 weeks I will be back at the office! Yes there is a lot of internal healing that has to be done but I can heal just as well sitting at my desk as I can sitting on my sofa!
Unread 03-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Thank you for your reply...I hope you'll continue to post as you recover. Good luck tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 04:59 PM

I do not mean this to scare...but I encourage you to have a "back-up" plan. I went in for LAVH and had plans to go to a conference two weeks later. I was in the operating room having a second surgery on the day that I was supposed to have left. I have seen people on this site that recovered really fast and others who struggled and it does not seem like age, how fit you are or type of procedure always played into the reason. I wish you both the very best!!!
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Thanks Alliecat. I have a plan to have someone else manage my class until the end of the school year if neccessary, it just calms me to think I won't have to do that. I teach high school students, and while they are nice kids, they turn into monsters with substitute teachers. I just can't stand the idea of having to be gone for an extended time! (sigh) But I just can't wait until summer either... I'll be glad to get this over! Thanks again!
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:24 PM

I forgot to say also, I am not having a LAVH. I'm having a Laprascopic Hyst.... the kind where everything is (forgive the bluntness) chopped up and sucked out. Still, I have yet to read a post where anyone went back to work in just a week...
Unread 03-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Hi Janeteacher.
I am a high school teacher too and returned at about 2 and a half weeks. No probs,happy to be back and haven't noticed any signs to tell me otherwise. I think you need a full week at home to reconcile the emotional effects and rid the body of some of the effects of all the drugs they give you in hospital. With teaching ( and probably any other job) if you are not 100% emotionally it just takes one student to upset you and you don't want to end up a blubbering mess in front of the class! I had TVH (with morcellation). Good luck
Unread 03-12-2006, 06:09 PM

Thank you so much Surfflower... breathing easier with each post.
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:20 PM

Janeteacher, I also recommend a back up plan, hopefully things will go as planned, but you never know. I had a TAH a year ago, and then had a BSO in November. The BSO was suppose to be laproscopic, it ended up as a laprotomy, I did not take a bag or anything with me, just my dh and the clothes I was wearing. My dh then had to gather my stuff for me, which was ok, but I would have rathered had done it myself. If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely take an over night bag for one night just in case. I wish you the best, keep us posted. 's, Carol
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:38 PM

Janeteacher, I had a LSH which is what I'm guessing you're going to have. I had 4 small incisions on my abdomen and kept ovaries and cervix. My dr. also said that some of his patients were back to "almost normal" activities by the 2nd week, but the main issue is extreme fatigue. It still is major surgery and even though LSH is less invasive on the abdomen, there will be a lot of internal healing going on for many weeks, if not months. I will be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and 2 days ago I went shopping by myself and was surprised how quickly I became exhausted even at almost 3 weeks out. Everyone heals and recovers differently as others have said. You may be able to go back to work after a week, but then, you may be surprised how you may need some more recovery time resting at home. Remember, you only get one chance to heal right, so be sure to allow time for "pampering" and a complete recovery with no complications.
Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register