Recovery time laparoscopic - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time laparoscopic Recovery time laparoscopic

Unread 03-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Recovery time laparoscopic

Thank you Carol.... planning for the worst ~ hoping for the best... (sigh) now I just want to get it over with!

I don't know why... (I realize every person is different) ...I just want one person to say that she had this kind of hystorectomy and went back to work in one week like my doctor said was possible. The more I read, the more I've convinced myself that some horrible complication will come up, and this surgery (that my doctor has assured me is most often pretty straight forward) will turn into an excruciating ordeal.

But anyway... I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 07:49 PM

Thank you Snooky! OK... Scheduling couch time... (ugg - torture!)
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi there!
I am scheduled for a LSH on Wednesday. My doctor gave me a pamphlet that said recovery time is 2-4 days. He said to ignore that, plan on 1 day in hospital, 2-4 days doing pretty much nothing and 2-4 weeks to get back to normal activities with some restrictions. From what I have read on here his advice seems to be pretty good.

HTH! I would think that you might want to give yourself at least two weeks to get back to work. That is a fair amount of time, without feeling as though you are gone forever.
Blessings!
Betts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM

Betts! Good luck on Wednesday!! Drop in when you can to give us an update. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 03-12-2006, 08:04 PM

I will let everyone know how I did. Of course my body is pretty run down right now, this will be my fourth surgery this year, and two pregnacies that ended poorly. I don't expect to "bounce" right back but I will be so happy to be rid of the source of most of my pain!!

I am interested to know how you will do too! I think some of it does depend on overall health and how individuals heal. I tend to be slow healer, I have other health conditions...but I am holding out hope for a quick recovery!

BTW I homeschool and I have prepared lesson plans for the kids and cut down some of their work for the next four weeks, that will make it easier when I have to go "back to work"!
Betts
Unread 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM

oops! I meant that I have had three surgeries and two pregnancies since last March! That would have been a pretty terrible three months!
Excuse my errors too! I am not wearing my glasses and can't spell check very well with the glare!
Betts
Unread 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM

Just wanted to add one more quick comment--a positive attitude about the outcome of your surgery helps too! I totally trusted my dr. and I knew that this was the best decision for me and this surgery has given me a whole new lease on life. Yeah, I know its hard to not think about the "what-ifs", but try to dwell on the positives of the surgery.
1. No more periods, no more pain, no bleeding--period! Yeah!
2. No more having vacations/special events dampened because its "your time of the month".
3. If you have a hubby/significant other, you can have some "romance" anytime of the month!
4. This is one a friend of mine who had an LSH 3 years ago at age 36 says she feels "more centered" and more in control of her emotions and she also feels she makes better decisions because you don't have all those wacky female hormones raging through your body as much.

So, keep those positive thoughts coming. Telling myself that I would feel so much better after my recovery is complete kept me going those first few days--it wasn't really all that bad. I'm sure you'll just breeze through it all and you'll look back and wonder why you ever even worried!
Unread 03-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Good luck with the kids Betts! I hope you will have help with everything... the kids, the recovery, the emotions of all you've been through. Here's wishing you an excellent recovery... it sounds like you've had a rough time... sheesh, and I was whining about needing to take more than a week away from work! Thanks for the reality check.
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Not hyst time yet, but I had a laparoscopic myo (which I think the LAVH would even be a bit more complicated) in Oct., and with this, and my 3 other surgeries before that one, I wasn't even given the ok to drive for two weeks. I will say I had my surgery on a Monday, and by Saturday I was getting around "close" to normal...mild discomfort here and there....but nothing big. I was completely OFF pain meds on Friday. Not sure why he has always said no driving for two weeks, actually this last time I did drive after about 10 days....and the bumps in the road were a bit uncomfortable...this time I'll really listen! One false move before your ready could make things worse...I'd just try not to push it if you can. You don't want to "undo" any healing that has already started. I'm not a doc, but I've learned! And I'm a tough one to keep down! Good luck!

Angie
Unread 03-13-2006, 07:49 PM

I am sorry if I made you feel bad, we all have our trials..mine just came in a serious bundle! It feels terrible to have control taken from us physically, I am just used to it at this point, but as people who have read my other posts know, I have whined like crazy a lot!!!

I admire your concern for your job! I admire people who bounce back and can't help but be envious. You go ahead and vent any time. There is always going to be someone worse off than us! And who knows mayber your dr. will be right, that would be great.

Angie, I think that the no driving rule comes from the anesthesia staying in our systems for awhile. That alone would make it difficult. I have also heard women say that it was hard to move with abdominal incisions, the way you would have to turn to look over your shoulder or back up might be akward.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register