Recovery time laparoscopic - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time laparoscopic Recovery time laparoscopic

Unread 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Recovery time laparoscopic

You didn't make anyone feel bad Betts.... I loved you first hand account of the real deal. I can't wait to hear how everything goes on Wednesday! You'll be in my thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 11:52 AM

Sorry for a late reply, but I just saw this. I had a LSH and was only in the hospital 14 hours total. I was off of work 7 days. (Surgery on a Thursday, so 10 days recovery.) Desk job, so just up and down from the chair a lot, but adults, and not teenagers to deal with. Fatigue was the big factor for me, so I would lay down for a rest each day when I got home and before meals needed to be prepared. (And good friends helped by bring meals over for about 2 weeks.) If you keep your cervix, don't be surprised if you have a mini-period. No one told me this could happen and I thought something tore inside when this happened and ran to the doctor. Then I looked at my chart and realized it would have been time... The doctor said no, after he applied silver nitrate on the cervix, but as I was leaving the room the nurse told me that yes, this was possible. They really don't bother too much - at least I know my ovaries are working yet, and experience with birth control pills in the past were nasty for me, so I don't want to go hrt.

Good luck to you. Listen to your body - rest and take it easy when it tells you so. If possible, allow more time, and not less, to recover.
Unread 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Thanks Newroad! I'm just glad to hear that it is POSSIBLE to manage regular life that soon. I asked my doctor's nurse when she called yesterday if I had misunderstood the doctor, and she said the reason he felt I may have an easier time with recovery is because I'm younger. (which cracks me up - I work with teenagers and they treat me like I should be someone's grandmother! LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 06:59 PM

Hi,

Just curious...do many doctors do this lap. hysterectomy? Is this something new? That's amazing that people have such quick recoveries from this type of surgery. I know everyone is different, but I would prepare for a possible longer recovery time. I'm a teacher (elementary) and I took ten days of for my ovarian cyst surgery. Teaching takes a lot of stamina!
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:10 PM

I think the most important thing said here thus far is from Snooky and is what I have been saying over and over - a positive outlook is the primary thing in your recovery, second only to a good doctor in whom you have faith. It sounds wacky but I know I "visualized" my perfect recovery for several weeks before I went in and darned if it isn't exactly what I visualized. I had my LAVH Monday, came home Tuesday morning and by Wednesday afternoon I did a couple of hours of work from home. I also worked from home a bit Thursday and Friday. I am resting plenty, mind you, and not pushing myself but I still plan to work from home on a more full time basis next week and when I am OK to drive after 2 weeks I will go in to the office. If I get tired out I will come home early. Janeteacher, if there is a way you could plan for half days your first week back I might suggest this but barring any unforseen complications with your surgery you seem to have a great attitude about it and if your doc says OK there should be no reason to hang around the house watching soaps and eating bon bons if you don't want to.
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:15 PM

What wonderful things to read. Making notes for my TVH on the 6th of April.

Janeteacher, I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. I know you'll be back to work in no time.
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:21 PM

Jahee, I think it is relatively new. In my part of the country, it is definately new, but my doctor is experienced with this surgery so I'm feeling confident about moving ahead.

You are right! Teaching DOES take a lot of stamina. I'm working tonight on putting together an intensive tutorial for all of my lesson plans for the rest of the school year (just in case). Also, I've told some of my upper level students that I will be available via email for any questions they have during my absence. It's killing me to have to be away from them, but this darn uterous is killing me too!
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:39 PM

Hi there,

Havn't been here for a while, but thought I'd put in my two cents. I had a LSH on Jan 18th 2005. I can't believe it's over a year ago. Anyway, I would really have a back up plan. While I was out to lunch with friends 3 days later the fatigue can really get you. I don't mean right away either. I experienced really good days and then it would just hit me and I could barely get out of bed. You really have to be able to listen to your body and just take a seat.

I'm sure all will be well, just try not to push yourself. If you can take two weeks and really give your insides a chance to heal you might be betteer off.

Sirap
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:58 PM

Crazyblonde and Tukwut,
I missed your posts earlier. Thank you so very much for your comments. I'm still a month a way (sigh), but I'm feeling better about my choice everyday. (Now I wish it were tomorrow!)

Sirap - thanks for your first hand account! Frankly, there are days NOW that I barely make it through the fatigue, so I understand what you mean. I always have the option to take more time if need be. I'm annoyed at some of my coworkers that seem to think it is selfish of me to proceed with this surgery now instead of waiting for the summer... grrrr. If I wait, I may not be able to do this less invasive proceedure and taking Lupron in the meantime brings a whole new set of problems. I'm so ready to be done with this!
Unread 03-19-2006, 07:34 AM

Hi Jane,

My doctor mentioned this type of surgery too. I'll have to ask her about it since I love the idea of a quick recovery.

Try not to let your coworkers get to you. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a teacher, and everyone encouraged me NOT to wait until the summer and I had my ovarian surgery in January. All of our staff members schedule their surgeries during the school year.

Now I want to have my hyterectomy since I can't stand all the bleeding and fatigue. I'm trying to figure out when to schedule it. I don't want to do it now because I just had my surgery in January. I thought about doing it in July, and all my friends at school told me it would be crazy to do it in the summer. I also have trips planned too with my family. However, that leaves me with late November or December (after the the first conference) since I don't want to be out when school starts.

Also, I know how hard it is to be out. In my case, though, the students loved my sub and didn't really seem to miss me that much. They still talk about her fondly. (I think she let them get away with a bit more!)

Is your doctor a man? I know this sounds sexist, but at my hospital the surgery nurse said that male doctors tend to give less time off than the female doctors for female surgery. I don't know if that's a trend, but I thought it was interesting.

Best of luck to you, the kids will be fine. Put yourself first. By the way, why are you having this done? Endo? Fibroids?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register