Question about uterus size | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about uterus size Question about uterus size

Unread 03-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Question about uterus size

I had a LSH for adenomyosis and at my post op appointment I was told my uterus was double the normal size. How bad is that? Everyone else seems to classify their uterus as a certain week. What week was mine? I know I made the right decision...just don't want to think I was being a wimp about the adeno pain! Thanks!

-Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Twice the normal size in weight or length? Normal uterus weighs 80-100 grams and is about 7 cm long.

Mine weighed 687grams and was 15 cm long. It was classified as 16 week size.

Hope this helps you. You know you can ask for your pathology report and them you would know exactly what it was. (may be a small charge at some facilities, probably have to ask in writing, call to check).
Unread 03-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Don't understand path report

Mcloud,

I do have my path report but I guess I just don't undertstand it. Apparently they recieved several strips of my uterus. It says "Received in formalin are multiple cylindrical portions of pink-tan rubbery tissue 64 grams in aggregate and measuring 10x6.5x2.5" My uterus was smaller than normal then right?

-Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 10:36 PM

I think you are right in that the uterus was sectioned because you had a LSH. I think your doc could help you unravel the meaning of the terms. I only know what my doc said was the normal size, maybe I am wrong or something. I think you should ask your doc to clarify if you are curious.
Unread 03-13-2006, 04:45 AM

My uterus was quite large, at 1122 grams, and I had adeno. Don't underestimate the pain endo and adeno can cause you, and I wouldn't think you were a wimp, even if it was normal sized!! Strangely, I had no complaints really. I was going in for colon surgery and they discovered this huge uterus that had to go before my other surgery, so they did both!
Unread 03-13-2006, 05:51 AM

usually on the path report it includes the weight of the tissue ......That`s also a good indication of how large the uterus was...........mine weighed in at almost 700 grams...........I had a big fibroid and adeno also..........I`m just so glad it`s GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don`t miss it in the least Blessings,Renee
Unread 03-13-2006, 11:57 AM

Hi, everyone! Perfect timing for me on this post as I had the same questions! I was getting ready to ask the question myself and then saw that pamptracy had already asked. (Thanks!) I just picked up my surgery report today because my doc never really answered my questions. Mine weighed 152 grams and measured 10.7 x 6.4 x 4.8 cm. Report indicates Ademo, superficial; mild Diffuse myometrial hypertrophy; Proliferative endometrium & Mild chronic cervicitis. I need to do some research to find out what this all means. If any of you can put it into layman's terms, I would sure appreciate it. Whatever it was, I am starting to notice a difference that it's gone as my lower back is finally not aching after doing so for several months!! Thanks everyone - and best of luck to all of you!
Unread 03-13-2006, 12:22 PM

pamptracy-
I had an LSH and my doctor told me that my uterus visually looked liked the size of a 12-13 week pregnancy. I had multiple small fibroids contributing to the size. The pathology report said it weighed (in aggregate) 107 grams. I too had adeno which with all of the fibroids contributed to the pain and excessive bleeding. All I know is that it may not have been as big as some of the uteri removed from other women, but it was a big enough problem for me and I'm glad it's gone! Hope that information helps.
Julie
Unread 03-13-2006, 12:37 PM

My doc said mine was 4 times the size of "normal" My fibroid was 9-11 cm and about the size of a grapefruit. And it's weird, even with my belly swollen and the gas I can feel this large thing "missing" inside of me. I am going to request my path. report too. Not that I'll understand any of it but I still want it.
Betty
Unread 03-13-2006, 02:09 PM

Got my official report. It said mine weighed 110 grams, was 8.0 x 6.0 x 4.0cm. Said something about myometrium measured up to 2.8 cm and showed ill defined areas of nodularity. One small nodule was noted which was .5 cm. Diagnosis says adeno -5, secretory phase endometrium, endocervical canal mucosa with chronic cervicitis cystica and squamous metaplasia. does anyone know what any of this means? I am sooo confused, again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register