did you get a choice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did you get a choice? did you get a choice?

Unread 03-12-2006, 11:22 PM
did you get a choice?

Is there anyone else here that chose this surgery? What I mean is, did you have other less invasive options but chose this instead. For instance, I was given the choice to try Lupron for a year, since I have tried every kind of BC possible with no results... but Im tired of hurting. Im tired of bleeding. Im tired of being tired and of things failing. So when this was brushed by as a possibility for me, after much thought (and 12 years of pain, trial and error)I opted for the hysterectomy.

Was anyone else given a choice like this? Or am I just dumb for doing this when there is still other less evasive options left?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
did you get a choice?

Hi Rayne_SotD,
No, I wasn't given a choice but they did tell me that I didn't have to have my ovaries out if I didn't want to but they told me because of my age and the fact that there was a 10% chance of having to come back and have them out too I decided to choose that. You are not dumb for wanting to have the hyst. We all make our own discisions. Just be glad that it wasn't an emergency and the choice would have been made for you. It is a difficult decsions and no one should make it without all the facts. Good luck with everything. Keep us informed as to your progress.
Debbie
Unread 03-12-2006, 11:44 PM
did you get a choice?

I am in the position of choice right now. I have the option of Lupron...but clinical menopause just seems like it will prolong my agony. The doctors say that the final outcome for adenomyosis will probably be a hyst. so I am considering that option as well before I take the shot. I am sure that there must be more of us in this position and I was thinking this same question. I am glad to read your post and will be interested in hearing the responses. I am only 27 and have had a lot of people concerned about "children" but at the rate I am going the pain is just simply to preventative and my husband says that our marriage will be helped by less hospital visits and doctor bills, and I can certainly understand that! Keep me posted on how you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 12:16 AM
did you get a choice?

Hi There,

Well I tried various options such as D&C, large doses of progestrone, synnarel and I was also on antibiotics for the infection throughout my body. This all went on for a number of months but in the end nothing stopped the bleeding and all the iron injections I was having for my anemia were having no impact because of this.

In the end I had 2 gyns say that my best option was the hyster which by then I was more than ready for. He also decided because of my age to take my ovaries as a large percentage of women have to have them removed within 18 months of surgery. However in the end he said he was pleased we had already made that decision as there was no chance to save them anyway.

For me it was a good decision I feel happier and healthier within myself and I'm enjoying the freedom of being able to do things I normally wouldn't have done because of all the accidents I had.

However like most I did agonise over having it done but I found being informed helped me understand the changes I could face. Thankfully I've had an uneventful and speedy recovery and 13 months down the track I'm the woman I used to be. In fact I'm nicer to be with.

Take care................Karen
Unread 03-13-2006, 01:01 AM
did you get a choice?

I also had the option of a round of Lupron but am choosing to have the LAVH instead. But, I have already had 3 rounds of it before and just don't want to go through it all again just to arrive at this decision in another year or so. You should do whatever feels right for you. Only you know what is best for you. Best of luck to you.
Unread 03-13-2006, 01:42 AM
did you get a choice?

When I had my hyst. I was finally to the point where I'd finally exhasuted all of the other options....unfortunately it took almost 20 yrs of trying different things and only getting temporary relief to none at all. So many medications....so many surgeries...so much money....so much just plain BLAH! I was just sick and tired all of the time.

You are definately not crazy. Sounds like you've dealt with alot for a very long time too. We all do what we feel is right for us at the right time. I don't think it's an easy decision for anybody at any time really.

Best wishes to you.
Unread 03-13-2006, 02:06 AM
did you get a choice?

I was given the choice to try Lupron after having had a laparoscopy, D&C and Hysteroscope and finding no relief. I opted against the Lupron, however, because I didn't want to pay $150 (my 30% portion of a $500 shot) to wake up in menopause. My ex-ob/gyn was only offering it as an option because I was insisting on the LSH or ablation or UFE, and she is extremely clueless on the how-to with any approach besides the traditional bikini-cut, which I couldn't have done for quite a while. It really is pitiful when they don't keep up, isn't it? I did take progesterone for a few months and was able to see some of the bleeding begin to slack for a couple of months, but when it returned, it returned with a fury, even though I was using loads of that cream on my belly each day. Just as the bleeding had become extremely unbearable, I found a new and much improved surgeon (happy me!) who is hip to the newer, less invasive methods .

I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my surgery and with the surgeon, and I'm glad that I didn't waste even more time on trying the Lupron. Making the decision was easier once I knew that the Lupron was only a very temporary fix that would leave me feeling like I jumped uterus-first from the frying pan and into the fire.
Unread 03-13-2006, 06:29 AM
did you get a choice?

For 18 years I have fought to keep my uterus. I've been through ovarian cysts rupturing, endo, adenomyosis, anemia, precancerous cells & an enlarged uterus. They have tried cryosurgery, dnc, endometrial biopsies, birth control pills, etc.... I finally got tired of the fight...... It just wore me out. The doctor told me at the very beginning that a hyst was in my future. I think I was in denial and kept trying to tell myself my problem really wasn't that serious. I'm just so thankful it hadn't turned to cancer because of my apprehension to have a hyst. The doctor told me that we could try all these different options, but they probably weren't going to "fix" my female problems. He talked about how much time it would take out of my future when a hyst could correct it all and I could get on with life and not be plagued by pain, blood loss, etc. Everyone is different. One size doesn't fit all. We just have to do what is right for us and what we are comfortable with. Wishing you good health and peace of mind.
Unread 03-13-2006, 07:36 AM
did you get a choice?

From what I had heard from so many others, they did opt for other things only to end up with a hyst anyway.

Also, I didn't want the side effects of the Lupron.

I'm glad that your Dr at least gave you choices. But when it comes down to it, you are the one who lives with your pain day to day. It was amazing to me how soon after surgery, that I was already feeling better. Haven't regretted my choice.

Good Luck
Unread 03-13-2006, 07:44 AM
did you get a choice?

I too had options.... but chose to do the surgery.... I did my research and decided that I didn't want to take the chance of things turning into cancer and then having to have the surgery anyway.....

I had an endo biopsy done (came back clean), an ultrasound (nothing found), then scheduled an ablation... After I was already in and under sedation, the ablation could not happen, which happens in less than 1% of women.... I had what they called a "loose cervix" and so they did a D&C, that is when the hyperplasia showed up in the report.... Now jump to the surgery, while in there Dr found a cyst in one of my tubes, and the pathology report came back showing numerous small cysts in the ovaries and several in the cervix, and the adenomyosis.... NONE of which showed up before.... So I feel like I caught everything early and would have ended up with the surgery anyway....

Do your research so you can feel comfortable with your decisions and your Dr's advice.....

Guess this is "choice" is why so many insurance companies still consider this an elective surgery and many times originally deny it until the patient and Dr fight for it.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register