did you get a choice? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did you get a choice? did you get a choice?

Unread 03-13-2006, 07:55 AM
did you get a choice?

Hello and Good Morning,

Most of us have had choices. Decisions along this journey have never been easy. I based mine on how "right" I felt with them. Listening to your body is key. Faith in a doctor is next. If we are not going to do what they say there is no need to go to them. I had a gyn tell me at the age of 18 that I needed a hyst. I started a long road of pain, d&c's, pre cancerous paps, blood transfusion, and ablation. The results??? Yes, I am having the hyst......but........I am 50 now and have three children and six grandchildren. They are my "gift" from God and are worth every struggle.
BTW....Isn't this board just GREAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 08:07 AM
did you get a choice?

Even if you did choose the Lupron everyone is different. I did take the Lupron twice and it did not work for me. It has worked for others however. I don't blame you for making this choice, I have only been dealing with these issues for about 2 or 3 years, but GOD knows I am ready for something to change. You said 12(?) years? Lord knows you must be a saint or have really crappy doctors lol. I couldn't do it. You have to do whats right for you and your body and only you and your Doctor knows what that is. If he/she gave you the option and you are not against it, then go for it. Good luck to you. I hope it all works out. Cindy
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:14 AM
did you get a choice?

I've fought this for a few years. Had the D&Cs, took the Megase that made me gain 40 pounds and nearly detroyed my marriage. Looking back, I don't know why I waited so long. Right before the holidays, the bleeding and pain returned even worse than before. My MIL, wise woman that she is, told me to quit messing around with all this stuff that doesn't work and have the surgery. After 4 c-sections, I wasn't looking forward to another abdominal surgery, but she was right. When I went to the doctor and he had me on the exam table, all he said was "Have you decided when you want it done?" We did discuss keeping my ovaries and cervix. My ovaries were very cystic, but he said I could keep them if I chose. However, he said he would probably have to go in and get them is a year or two. Forget that. I'm 51 years old, take them now. I did keep my cervix because it is healthy and no reason to remove it.
I'm only 11 days post op, but I know I made the right choice. All women should be given a choice, and have the options explained to them. But, I do believe from what I've been through and what I've heard from others, that most of these options are just band aids and the hyster is probably inevitable. I just wish I hadn't waited so long and put myself and my family through all the suffering and expense that I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 08:24 AM
did you get a choice?

I was not given any other option but to watch and see and live with the pain. Hysterectomy was the only treatment my dr. could offer me at this point.

Prior to the last few months I have had 2 exploratory laps that showed very little, the last showed a bit of endo, and my dr. said that the "basket weave" of the uterine muscle was pulling apart, that can be indicitive of adeno. U/s have shown little besides lots of ovarian cysts over the years (many have ruptured) and recently severe pelvic congestion..

The dr. I saw prior to this dr. said I probably have adeno, was going to do a biopsy, put me on provera ( did do that,didn't help), and try ablation. I am not sorry that I didn't go that route...he said I would end up with a hyst. anyway. I have tried BC before and that made me much worse. I have even been put on anti-depressants because I was told that I was just having severe PMS(didn't help).

I strongly feel that I have no real choice at this time...but do wish that I did. I wouldn't even mind Aunt Flo if she was such a pain in the neck. At this point living in constant pain makes the descion easier but I still have moments of doubt. Everything with me is a hunch, no clear diagnosis that part does bother me. I have fears that I will come out of surgery and be told that nothing was wrong with me! That would stink! That is probably an irrational fear though!

Betts
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:33 AM
did you get a choice?

Hi!

This is a great thread as I too keep wondering (as surgery nears closer!) if I am choosing the right thing. I too have tried BC for many years--gone through almost all the pills known to man! Went to 2 different OB/GYN's in two different cities and both informed me of less invasive proceedures, the low success rates for a case such as mine & to think about hyst as the oNLY permanent solution. My family has been supportive because they know of the years of trouble I have had. At age 40 I now know I was very fortunate to have had a child in my mid 20's. We tried unsuccessfully for more kids & finally adopted a few years ago. I want to be healthy for my kids sake.

On a serious side-note....my second Dr. pointed out that in many cases women that have suffered for many years with "female issues" and have not found a viable solution to their problem often suffer from emotional distress that can affect their wellbeing and realtionships with their families. I know that I am often cranky when I have the heavy cycles of bleeding, periods that last all month etc. Although I don't look forward to dealing with the surgery & menopause I think that finally having all of this put to end will help "mentally" put me more at ease. I won't always feel like something is really wrong with my body & can focus on feeling good & enjoying my family!

Best of luck to you & thank you to everyone for the support!

Tum-e-trouble
Unread 03-13-2006, 08:37 AM
did you get a choice?

I am also chosing a hyst after failed attempts at the depro shot, BC pills, ablation, D/C, hysteroscopy; I am scared that I am being too extreme; but also tired of always wearing a tampon, stained underwear and side affects of one more pill.
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
did you get a choice?

My doc wanted to do more "looking" after I had a LAP. I don't like pain. I hate pain. I don't like operations and avoid them at all costs. I have put off this hyst. for 4 years now, knowing that I could either have painful periods, fatigue and just feeling lousy or I could suck it up and get a hyst., be done with it all and enjoy the rest of my life, pain free.
I chose rather quickly to have a hyst. to avoid other surgeries. I have no regrets in my choice. I doubt I ever will. I am not one to go through tons of proceedures, if you can take it all out and I don't have to deal with it anymore then this is the way I go. It is a one shot deal for me!! lol

I am tired of being tired, I am sick of being sick. I want my life back and if it means loosing organs that are useless to me anyway (tubal 17 years ago) then by all means lets get it done and over with.
This is just me, this is probably not how a normal woman would look at the situation. I am just letting you know how I feel.
You do what is right for you.

I will be having a TVH&BSO the 22nd.
Unread 03-13-2006, 09:51 AM
did you get a choice?

I was given a choice in August. I chose wait and see for six months, taking Nsaids that did no good at all. In January, we found out I had more fibroids, thickening endometrial lining and the pain was worse and the bleeding worse. I didn't want to do anything that would not guarantee relief. I didn't want to do anything that would put me into Medical menopause. I chose Hysterectomy and my doctor agreed that was the best way to go. I don't have as serious a problem as a lot of the sisters here, but I have enough of a problem that my daily life is affected and my quality of life is diminished, that is enough for me to choose Hysterectomy- The type I am having is TAH, and that was NOT my choice, I wanted LSH, but I have too many adhesions for that.

T.
Unread 03-13-2006, 11:06 AM
did you get a choice?

In the UK I had very little choice...I was told what was going to happen (drugs and more drugs, that didn't work and the side effects were sometimes as bad as the problem). I hated this.

The doctors here have pretty much left all the decisions up to me, whether to have surgery, whether to keep my ovaries etc. So I have had complete choice, but have run everything by my doctors and gained their knowledge and advice. So far they have both agreed with my decision to now have surgery, and to have both ovaries removed. I'm still undecided about the cervix, so am asking them questions at the moment. Medically, I feel very supported.
Unread 03-13-2006, 11:20 AM
did you get a choice?

Dear Rayne,

I wasn't given the choice for Lurpon, I didn't know I had endo.(if that's what it is for) I knew I had fibroids and went through a hysteroscopy, with an ultra sound in outpatient surgery, then went through a hysteroscopy with a D&C a few weeks later. I just wished I had done the surgery in the first place. This was a new DR for me and I hadn't seen one in over 3 years and had already been told before that more than likely I needed the hysterectomy. Since she was new she wanted to try a few things to see if it helped me and she was thinking we were on fairly new insurance coverage if I didn't try something they would deny the surgery. So it took me almost 5 months to get to the surgery.
Exploring your options is always helpful and a learning experience. I know just for me I was miserable since I was a teen and I am 38 now, for some relief.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register